Quintus

The small talk Thread

You should start watching this guy!  He just passed a million with his 14th game!  Incredible.

He might not pass Ken Jennings’ games won record but I think he’ll definitely end up passing Ken’s money record (something like 2.5 mill)

I haven't seen this guy's run at all yet, but is it true he's employing a different strategy than almost all contestants in the past have; Instead of picking a category and then running down it from top to bottom, he's going ACROSS the board doing all the highest value questions first?

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I haven't seen this guy's run at all yet, but is it true he's employing a different strategy than almost all contestants in the past have; Instead of picking a category and then running down it from top to bottom, he's going ACROSS the board doing all the highest value questions first?

Yep, maximizing his initial winnings, going daily double hunting.  It also has the side benefit of intimidating his opponents and throwing them off balance.  Of course this strategy only works if you're preternaturally good at the game, like he is.  He's an incredibly risky player, going hard into maximizing his money in a way that no one's ever really done before.

Just now, mstrox said:

That's pretty good money for three days of work!

That's part of why his riskiness is so crazy, if you understand the taping schedule of a show like that.  It shows great mental stamina, which I guess is part of why he's a professional gambler as well.

It also helps that every opponent so far was not able to watch him on TV first; If he survives past the summer hiatus break, when taping resumes he might face tougher competition, or at least people who know his methods and maybe can construct some sort of competing strategy.  Of course his experience knowing how to buzz in immediately might be hard to overcome to any new player

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

It also helps that every opponent so far was not able to watch him on TV first; If he survives past the summer hiatus break, when taping resumes he might face tougher competition, or at least people who know his methods and maybe can construct some sort of competing strategy.  Of course his experience knowing how to buzz in immediately might be hard to overcome to any new player

Jennings says that it actually helped him when he was still playing as his episodes started airing.  Because he was already like a legend to the new contestants coming in, they were intimidated.  Of course Jennings didn't have such a notably specific strategy.  He played the game pretty straightforwardly.

15 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Jennings says that it actually helped him when he was still playing as his episodes started airing.  Because he was already like a legend to the new contestants coming in, they were intimidated.  Of course Jennings didn't have such a notably specific strategy.  He played the game pretty straightforwardly.

Ah that makes sense

5 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

Wasn't there another guy who employed a similar strategy of going across the board a couple of years back?

Arthur Chu, and his strategy was a little more random.  He'd start in the higher dollar clues but would keep jumping around between categories/amounts.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

How did you make a new post that didn't merge into the previous?

I don't know!  I submitted it fully expecting it to be merged!  Maybe Woj and I posted the Chu thing at literally the exact same timestamp and the board was confused.

16 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

He might not pass Ken Jennings’ games won record but I think he’ll definitely end up passing Ken’s money record (something like 2.5 mill)

Inflation, maybe?

Yeah, I was on a good streak watching this back in January-February, but I've missed the past few weeks. 

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm just casually interested in Jeopardy strategies.  The people at Jboard are truly obsessed.  I like to lurk there occasionally.  https://jboard.tv

I've tried out three times, including once in person. No luck getting famous. The tests are hard as fuck. 

Duh, I knew that obviously.  I set the time setting for when they merge, and I set it to one hour.

I was asking Stu about how he did it for posts only mere minutes apart, which should have been obvious from both looking at the time of his posts and reading the discussion afterwards.