Quintus

The small talk Thread

8 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Why are there virtually no Supertall skyscrapers in Europe. There are only a handful in Russia and some average sized one in London and paris.

In general European cities have had a tradition that the tallest building is the cathedral in the city. This has the nice side effect of keeping cities at a human scale. You can, in these types of cities, live and work in the same place. 

Skyscrapers can’t support this. They increase the density of the area,  but the area, for a variety of factors, can’t support that density, so the population has to be shifted out. So you get more commuters. You lose the human scale. 

14 hours ago, Quintus said:

If you truly believe the UK won't recover from its moment of turmoil then surely you do not consider yourself a patriot. Maybe emigrate? I maintain that such wild notions are panicky nonsense and I'm looking forward to being proven right once the dust settles in the next couple of years. Oh yeah, I'm gonna be intolerably smug about this from now on. Just imagine it!

I couldn't be any more certain that this whole affair is going to be looked back on in years to come as being a big load of fuss about nothing. This is Great Britain we're talking about. Don't believe everything you read about her on social media :)

Great night! And sincerely, Rich, no hard feelings. It's gonna be okay. 

I also always like these snippets of positivity (it's been a rare commodity lately):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50766233

Congratulations @Quintus

Though I personally wouldn't vote Tory, at least this gives Britain a workable majority to finally deliver BREXIT.

17 hours ago, Blumenkohl said:

In general European cities have had a tradition that the tallest building is the cathedral in the city. This has the nice side effect of keeping cities at a human scale. You can, in these types of cities, live and work in the same place. 

Skyscrapers can’t support this. They increase the density of the area,  but the area, for a variety of factors, can’t support that density, so the population has to be shifted out. So you get more commuters. You lose the human scale. 

That literally makes 0 sense

15 hours ago, woj said:

Are you sure it doesn't have anything to do with the growing Muslim population in these areas? Europeans don't want any more trouble than they can handle. 

This also literally makes no sense..

The old twin towers for instance were reviled when they were built because they were giant drab grey rectangles dominating the skyline, but they were still more charming than the new building, which gives me Vegas vibes. The design for the unbuilt second tower is one of the worst I've ever seen. All those huge buildings in Abu Dhabi look like crap too. I like the older art deco and art Nuevo look in NYC and even the stuff built before the 2000s has charm.

On 12/13/2019 at 7:15 PM, woj said:

9/11.

A One time incident.  There have been literally hundreds of super talls built since. 

Some incredible structures, very majestic. 

On 10/14/2019 at 8:41 PM, Quintus said:

Met up with Stefan in Liverpool the week before last!

HD3x9oa.jpg

I don't recognize you without your Bruce outfit.

On 9/9/2019 at 4:43 PM, Manakin Skywalker said:

I also married my LLL Harry Potter boxset with my toilet. You're welcome.

Is it that bad? Now I regret purchasing it.

Anyone else get annoyed by annoyingly placed buttons on the forum in mobile view? I went to view this topic and apparently my thumb is too fat and hit the absolutely horribly placed "Mark Forum as Read" button instead. I'm also constantly going to user profiles and pointless tags rather than the last pages of threads. Annoying!

Why are people going crazy about old orange face's legitimised denunciation? According to reports, it'll be dismissed as soon as it goes to trial. Business as usual. So why are his critics so hyped about it? What about the waste of money and resources the whole affair will be? Is the principal of it really worth all that? Better to just bide your time and remove him in the polls next year.

A lot of young people here in the States apparently got excited last night that the President had really been removed.  The people who paid more attention in government class are now left with the task of explaining things to them.

I really can't imagine how random my country sometimes seems to people from other countries:

image.png

ELx0vx3WsAElHVE.jpg:large

Translation: INSIDE HOME - Police arrests man accused of murdering police officer during robbery.

REiuQ5Ivq-qrCDw6v06X1fFCd4ouCRtPJB1N2PRY

TRANSLATION: Passenger discusses with preacher on the subway and shouts: "I want to listen to the Beatles!"

Riddle me this, good JWfaners: for Christmas, I bought myself an electric toothbrush, and I can honestly say that my teeth have never looked, nor felt, better. Now I can start "kissing with confidence".

Every so often, however, it stops for a very brief moment (probably 1/8 of a second). Does anybody else's toothbrush do this?

It's to give you time to move the brush between the teeth while saving power.

On 12/26/2019 at 10:45 PM, Edmilson said:

I really can't imagine how random my country sometimes seems to people from other countries:

image.png

ELx0vx3WsAElHVE.jpg:large

Translation: INSIDE HOME - Police arrests man accused of murdering police officer during robbery.

REiuQ5Ivq-qrCDw6v06X1fFCd4ouCRtPJB1N2PRY

TRANSLATION: Passenger discusses with preacher on the subway and shouts: "I want to listen to the Beatles!"

Is the Jesus series any good?

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's to give you time to move the brush between the teeth while saving power.

Is the Jesus series any good?

It's a Christmas special created by the Brazilian comic group called Porta dos Fundos. They started releasing some small sketches on YouTube, became one of the biggest channels on my country, and then signed lucrative deals with Fox, Netflix, TV networks, released a movie on theaters, etc.

This year they produced this Christmas special for Netflix, portraying Jesus as a gay man and Mary as a drug addict or something. I myself haven't watched it (these days I don't have much time nor patience, to watch Netflix), but it generated uproar among the most religious and conservative sectors of the society, including powerful people on our far-right government.

On the Christmas Eve, Porta dos Fundos' headquarters on Rio were attacked with molotov cocktails that almost set the building on fire. The responsible for the attack was a businessman which had problems with the police before and commanded an underground network of far-right militia, or something. Somehow, he managed to escape to Russia, and he is there at the moment.

And you people from the US thinking your country is weird...

Sometimes, I like to read the comments from normies on YouTube videos of famous, although not exactly iconic (like Star Wars theme, Jaws, Raiders, etc), film music pieces. Today I was listening to Thomas Newman's Any Other Name on YT, and having a lot of fun with people trying to guess on which movie they've heard that: Finding Nemo? A Series of Unfortunate Events? The Green Mile? Shawshank Redemption? The TV show House?

And no, the cover of the album weren't on the thumbnail, just a generic pic of a beach or something.

On the other hand, I can relate to that. I fell in love with the Newman piece "Sleepover", and spent years trying to figure for which movie he wrote that.

The other day, I was relaxing at home, and the need to curl one out presented itself. "Ok", I thought, so I picked up the crossword and a pencil, and toddled off to have a nice sit down. Afterwards, I was just finished wiping, when my guts almost cause me to double over in pain (not as easy as it sounds, when you're on the khasi!) and then black liquid sprayed from my anus. I mean, it wasn't even a turd, it was just fluid. Has anybody else experienced this!

Ps: two across: "canine", three letters. Any guesses?