Boston Pops Film Night June 6-11 2014

JWfangirl1992

Yeah, but you wouldn't want miss the 45-minute one. That's where all the highlights are!

By the way, I will be organizing a film music fan get-together in New York on either the 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th of June. If anyone here lives in that area and would like to join, send me a PM!

Not sure if it was posted earlier, but a partial program description has been released in the latest Boston Pops mailout I received. The Tanglewood Festival Chorus will be featured, and we know at least Star Wars, Saving Private Ryan, Memoirs of a Geisha, Amistad, and ET will be performed. We can pretty much expect the Book Thief suite to be played as well.

I'm still not sure whether I'll be going though (for the first time in eleven years).

Not sure if it was posted earlier, but a partial program description has been released in the latest Boston Pops mailout I received. The Tanglewood Festival Chorus will be featured, and we know at least Star Wars, Saving Private Ryan, Memoirs of a Geisha, Amistad, and ET will be performed. We can pretty much expect the Book Thief suite to be played as well.

I'm still not sure whether I'll be going though (for the first time in eleven years).

And just when I'm coming for the first, and maybe last time! Damn.

Does anyone have any recommendations on things to do and see in Boston? Must-see things? Preferably also open on Sundays?

Take in a baseball game, if the Red Sox are in town that weekend.

Sadly, the Sox will be away (last home game before the concert is Sunday June 1, next home game in Thursday June 12).

Take in a baseball game, if the Red Sox are in town that weekend.

How uncouth! Most people from Europe do not go to such games.

The Duck Tour really is fun to do, some of the drivers are especially amusing.

Yeah it's a relaxing a fun way to get around Boston and actually learn a bit about the history.

As Stefan says, in Europe we don't really care about baseball. And I don't even understand the game (except that it's something about hitting a ball and running to bases). So if I went to something like that, it would only be to soak up what is a very unique American atmosphere.

What? Seeing badly dressed overweight Americans with baseball caps gorging themselves on corn dogs?

Yeah! It's fascinating! ;)

Clearly you could teach a class on American cultural studies with your vast knowledge of stereotypes.

Oh, let him indulge in his quasi-superiority! It's all he has. ;)

I was at a baseball game last night. Even though the temperatures eventually dropped into the 40s F (5-10 C), it started out warm enough that folks were in t-shirts and shorts, and many attractive girls permitted their cleavage to get the first public air since fall. Overweight Americans are everywhere, but ain't that America? Skinny people are everywhere too. Ball caps are popular everywhere, I'm usually always wearing one, but I wouldn't have known where to buy a corn dog if you needed me to. Then again, my ball park's old slogan was "come hungry" so anything you wanna eat is within the walls. We ate and boozed before going in to avoid ballpark prices.

The game was boring. Pirates led 1-0 early and it became 2-0 at some point, but the Cubs cut that in half by successfully challenging a double play call. Instead, the runner was safe and so the run counted. We left at ten because it's a work night, and by the time we got back to the car, the closer had blown the save. Cubs took the lead in the 12th, and we tied it up afterwards. We won 4-3 in the 16th inning, after I had already gone to bed, not wanting to watch the six plus hour game finish.

The streaker that ran across the outfield was worth the price of admission though.

He just took his shirt off. I know that's not a true streaker, but there is no single word for "dude who jumps onto left field, whips off his shirt, and chases the pierogis into right field before being flip tackled at the fence and apprehended."

• 1 month later...

...a partial program description has been released in the latest Boston Pops mailout I received. The Tanglewood Festival Chorus will be featured, and we know at least Star Wars, Saving Private Ryan, Memoirs of a Geisha, Amistad, and ET will be performed. We can pretty much expect the Book Thief suite to be played as well.

Any further information out there? First time seeing Williams with the BSO, and I'm fly

Sorry, don't know how to edit. As I was saying, I'm flying up from Atlanta. Just realized that June 6th is the 70th Anniversary of D-Day. Now I kind of wish is gotten Friday tickets instead of Saturday. Oh well. I'm sure Saturday will be amazing, too. Anyway, any more set list news? :). I'd do anything to hear Superman live...

I'm also curious if Jason has any more info about the get-together before the concert? Wouldn't it soon be time to list the people attending and booking a restaurant?

You should book soon Koray!

Driving wouldn't be bad, especially since you can make a whole weekend out of it and not have to do the 8 hour drive 2 days in a row.

~

As for dinner on Saturday, for the past 4-5 years running now we have gather here to have dinner together:

http://www.unos.com/menus/index.php

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Uno+Chicago+Grill/@42.341943,-71.085852,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x89e37a19e6541023:0xa574e6465de61cc3

The reason we choose that place is not because it's spectacular food, or offers any kind of unique Boston experience at all, but because it's literally across the street from Symphony Hall, and people like to know they are right there and don't have to worry about staying too long and dinner and then still having to travel to the venue, etc. Also, they have a side room that they let us book, so we will have the whole place to ourselves! Plus the have a large menu, so everyone will be able to find something they like, and a huge drink menu! :P

Not to mention that people will want to head there early to try to get Williams autograph, no being right next door in beneficial for that too.

So let's start getting a tally. Who's in for dinner on Saturday?

Marcy and I will be there!

I've been waiting for someone to take the initiative, so YES, I'm in! :)

The concert starts at 19:00. Should we meet at, say, 16:00 or something?

I hope someone is game for after-concert drinks too.

Last year Stefan, Francis, Marcy and I drank together till well after midnight.

Last year Stefan, Francis, Marcy and I drank together till well after midnight.

That was fun!

Really wish i could be there this year.

There can only be one European at the time. Otherwise, the party would implode.

I am in as well. Friend of mine will be joining, too.

Looking forward to a fantastic evening with you guys, some bear, and interesting discussions about the maestro's music!