Boston Pops Film Night June 6-11 2014

JWfangirl1992

Looking forward to a fantastic evening with you guys, some bear, and interesting discussions about the maestro's music!

Is there gonna be a bear there????

Counting the hair on my chest, hmm probably not, I think I meant something different :)

The girlfriend and I will be there.

You should book soon Koray!

Driving wouldn't be bad, especially since you can make a whole weekend out of it and not have to do the 8 hour drive 2 days in a row.

There's only one day in between them though :P And it pretty much eats up an entire day.

We're still trying to figure out the timing of the flights, as prices fluctuate greatly throughout the day. Thinking about doing an early one Friday and then debating whether to get an extra day Sunday and fly afternoon/night or save some cash and fly early again.

I was hoping to make it to this, but I don't think I'll be able to. Too much still has to be done with selling the apartment, figuring out how to move stuff... maybe next year!

You mean John isn't your priority in life? Burn him!!

I'm now contemplating driving as it would save us around $150, but then there's the time trade-off. The whole trip is one expensive feat of a weekend. This is why I don't like travelling!

I was hoping to make it to this, but I don't think I'll be able to. Too much still has to be done with selling the apartment, figuring out how to move stuff... maybe next year!

Just make it one way trip and move to Boston.

Sorry for nagging about the get-together, but I'm trying to plan my itinerary (including things to do on Saturday morning and noon), so it would be wonderful if I could get some timeframe, at least, for the restaurant meeting. Are we talking ca. 4:30 PM (to allow a couple of hours before the concert)?

I'm driving. Probably just staying Saturday to Sunday. I plan on basically doing dinner-concerts-drinks afterwards (if others are up to it), any time works for me.

Well, you can, if you are willing to carry on some credit card debt. It's the American way!

Sorry for nagging about the get-together, but I'm trying to plan my itinerary (including things to do on Saturday morning and noon), so it would be wonderful if I could get some timeframe, at least, for the restaurant meeting. Are we talking ca. 4:30 PM (to allow a couple of hours before the concert)?

Not a nag at all! Last year we planned dinner for 5pm and that worked out very well. Marcy, Stefan, and myself actually arrived early and had drinks at the bar until others started showing up. The concert being at 8pm gives us all plenty of time to eat dinner and chat before walking across the street to Symphony Hall.

Looks like we have 13 people so far!

2 Jay and Marcy
3 Thor
6 Joe Brausam + 2
8 Smeltington + 1
10 ins + 1
11 nightscape94
13 Koray Savas + 1

I was actually going to be there. Had the ticket, holiday and hotel booked. Almost bought a plane ticket.

And then I looked at the total. Three days trip to Boston just doesn't cut it.

Karol

It just occured to me that Jason has not posted in this thread at all, so I presume that means he's not going.

Would you book the restaurant, Jay? For 13 people, it's perhaps best to book soon.

If you give me the name of the restaurant, I will contact them by mail and ask if they're available. Otherwise, we'll have to look around for alternatives.

Thanks.

zomg this is awesome

Thor, I'm Jason LeBlanc. I'll be taking care of everything - no need to worry so much about it!

BTW, anybody planning on doing a duck tour Saturday afternoon before the show?

zomg this is awesome

Thor, I'm Jason LeBlanc. I'll be taking care of everything - no need to worry so much about it!

Ha! Really? I hadn't noticed your switch of identity there. :)

We were planning on doing one at some point during the trip.

I don't have a credit card anymore :(

I don't have one. What I have is what I spend. Simpler life, really.

Karol

I only use credit cards but I never spend what I don't have. In the U.S., you essentially need credit to live. Just use your finances wisely and you'll be fine.

Yeah it's quite expensive isnt it. It's the hotel price that ultimately does it.

I'm already down $1,000 just between the plane tickets and a 2-night stay.

Sorry if I missed this earlier, but what is a 'duck tour'?

I'm planning on doing the Freedom Trail at some point during my stay in Boston (Friday afternoon to Monday afternoon).

Thanks. As I'm trying to go 'low cost' on this trip, it may be a bit expensive at $35. But I'll definitely look into it.

Thanks. As I'm trying to go 'low cost' on this trip, it may be a bit expensive at $35. But I'll definitely look into it.

If I were you I'd try to avoid superfluous and unnecessary activities such as that "duck tour." Instead, I would choose carefully a few highlights, combining them and rearranging them, if possible, in non-chronological form, in order to get the most fluid and satisfying experience from your trip.

He, he....I definitely will! :)

Cool! Will you be joining us for dinner?

Maybe...where's dinner? My wife and I will be staying in downtown at a bed and breakfast, but we might be down. ;) We're coming up from Atlanta to see the concert. It's our honeymoon (got married in August, but never had the chance to get away until now, and it seemed perfect). I recorded the 2012 Atlanta show as well. :)

As for dinner on Saturday, for the past 4-5 years running now we have gather here to have dinner together:

http://www.unos.com/menus/index.php

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Uno+Chicago+Grill/@42.341943,-71.085852,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x89e37a19e6541023:0xa574e6465de61cc3

The reason we choose that place is not because it's spectacular food, or offers any kind of unique Boston experience at all, but because it's literally across the street from Symphony Hall, and people like to know they are right there and don't have to worry about staying too long and dinner and then still having to travel to the venue, etc. Also, they have a side room that they let us book, so we will have the whole place to ourselves! Plus the have a large menu, so everyone will be able to find something they like, and a huge drink menu! :P

Not to mention that people will want to head there early to try to get Williams autograph, no being right next door in beneficial for that too.

So let's start getting a tally. Who's in for dinner on Saturday?

Marcy and I will be there!

Not a nag at all! Last year we planned dinner for 5pm and that worked out very well. Marcy, Stefan, and myself actually arrived early and had drinks at the bar until others started showing up. The concert being at 8pm gives us all plenty of time to eat dinner and chat before walking across the street to Symphony Hall.

Looks like we have 13 people so far!

2 Jay and Marcy

3 Thor

6 Joe Brausam + 2

8 Smeltington + 1

10 ins + 1

11 nightscape94

13 Koray Savas + 1

Getting his autograph is possible? I would absolutely die for that. I've pretty much been planning this for the past year to do with my wife. I had no idea he signed things. He always kind of seemed untouchable.

And I'd love to go to dinner, but I'm not positive I'll be in Boston early enough. I THINK our bus arrives around 4:00-4:15 (we're riding in from New York that day), but then we have to check in to our room and then get ready / walk to the concert. But we'd love to attend if possible. It's just the two of us. If we can make it, we'll be there. Who do I ask for if we go to the restaurant?