Boston Pops Film Night June 6-11 2014

JWfangirl1992

Seriously - message Stefan or Francis about the place they stayed in. I can't remember the name or any details but it's VERY close to the venue and VERY inexpensive, and they said it was a very nice, safe place.

We've been looking and hotel prices aren't cheap. $180 a night was the lowest found for a decent place. Price right now for the same room is $80 a night. Great timing of the year, Johnny!

I stayed outside the city in Waltham last year, only about 20-25 minutes out. Very very reasonable rates.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I'm taking the train in from Philly so I'll eventually be looking to book a hotel in between or around the train station and the venue, which are near each other. Prices will probably be crazy, but I don't plan on staying very long (going basically for the Saturday concert). I was in Boston in 2007 and had a nice stay at that time.

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked the Tuesday evening concert. I am unable to travel to Boston for that weekend so unfortunately I won't be able to make the JWFan dinner. Still really excited though. This will be my forth pilgrimage from Ireland to the US to see JW.

OK, ladies and gentlemen, this is now a reality! I've booked the flights, I've booked my stay in Boston. I only miss accomodation in New York, where I will be from the 1st to the 6th. I return to Oslo on the 9th.

Looking immensely forward to the concert. I'm seated on the side, but pretty close to the stage upfront. Saturday 7th is my date.

Also looking forward to meeting those of you who decide to come. If you want to meet me, this is probably your one and only chance. :)

By the way, I do hope someone is thinking about a pre-concert get-together this year too -- like the one I saw pictures of last year. If not, I'll start one myself as the date draws nearer.

Excited now!

• 3 weeks later...

While I leave the pre-concert dinner organization on Saturday to Jason, is anyone keen on hanging out in Boston some more? I'll be there from the 6th to the 9th. Or are people just buzzing in and out of the city for the evening?

By the way, I will be staying at the hostel 40Berkeley.

Oh, and I was turned down by John Williams....again. No interview, no possibility of meeting him. Damn -- he's more difficult to reach than the Pope and Barack Obama combined. At least he gave me a reply via his assistant. That's something, I guess.

So what did he say then?

Karol

"He’s delighted you will be attending his June 7th concert in Boston, but unfortunately he doesn’t feel able to grant an interview due to an unusually dense schedule of existing commitments in and around his June concerts this year. Please accept his regrets and his thanks for your interest. Hopefully there may be an opportunity at some point in the future."

Of course, it may just be something his assistant made up. Sounds like PR speak.

This year I will finally be there to see the Maestro in person for the first time in my life. I'll attend each concert and would like to get in touch with all of you who will be there too.

Can someone point to a reasonable good place to stay?

This year I will finally be there to see the Maestro in person for the first time in my life. I'll attend each concert and would like to get in touch with all of you who will be there too.

Can someone point to a reasonable good place to stay?

I searched high and low for a reasonable hotel, but couldn't find any. Boston is the most expensive city in the world that I've ever encountered, at least as far as accomodation is concerned. So I had to settle for a private room with shared bathroom at a hostel. So I'm sorry I can't give you any tips, but then again I don't know your budget. It might be higher than mine.

Will be nice to meet you!

Damn that capitalism!

However, I did check out Boston prices at other times too -- just to compare -- and it was still high throughout.

What's the name of the hostel that Stefan and Francis stayed at last year? They both said it was very clean, safe, and reasonably priced.

Yeah I stayed at 40 Berkeley a couple of years ago. Small private room with a single bed and a chair. It also doubles as a homeless shelter though so be warned. I HI location is more recommended. Brand new from two years ago.

If you were driving in there are many cheaper hotels/motels at the I-93/95 junction north of the city (around $100), but parking is $36 at Prudential ($16 if you keep your Symphony Hall ticket stub).

Or if you wanted to visit other cities you can take the night bus from South Station to New York following the show (no hotel to pay). Did that once. :)

Whoa. Homeless shelter? Geez, I didn't know that. I read the feedback on booking.com, and it was all pretty positive. Since location is very important to me, I went for that instead of some motel at the outskirts of the city. AFAIK, 40Berkeley is located in the city centre, where the action is.

[Edit: I found out it's NOT a homeless shelter, but there are some long-term tenants there who are living on welfare for the most part. That's OK].

Thor, I'm surprised you aren't staying in the one Stefan, Francis, etc stayed in last year that they recommended.

Thor, I'm surprised you aren't staying in the one Stefan, Francis, etc stayed in last year that they recommended.

I looked at it, but they had no private rooms available, if I recall correctly (only twin rooms, for which you pay double price). I do not sleep in dorms under any circumstance.

I got 3 nights for about $390. That's quite a lot for a hostel where I have to share a bathroom, but at least I get a private room.

It's quite insane. You could get an OK-ish hotel room for the same price in Oslo -- the most expensive city in the world!

I don't get it....what is it with Boston that makes it so much more expensive than other cities in the US, accomodation-wise?

I got 3 nights for about $390. That's quite a lot for a hostel where I have to share a bathroom, but at least I get a private room.

It's quite insane. You could get an OK-ish hotel room for the same price in Oslo -- the most expensive city in the world!

I don't get it....what is it with Boston that makes it so much more expensive than other cities in the US, accomodation-wise?

Foreign students and their rich parents coming to visit Harvard and MIT before signing the cheque.

Hey I finally bought my tickets to the Saturday night performance! :)

Now to see if I can find another restaurant that offers the food options + close-ness to Symphony Hall of Uno's....

I'm guessing he's just curious. I am too. I usually take the initiative for such gatherings, but I trust in Thee on this, Jason.