The Official "The Walking Dead" TV Show Discussion Thread (Beware Spoilers)

BLUMENKOHL

Am pissed off ... have doggedly stuck with The Walking Dead throughout, only for the channel that broadcast it here (Fox UK) to cease operating on June 30th and the final season to shift to Disney+. 

Well, the greedy mouse can shove it up his furry little ass ... I'm not subscribing.    

• 8 months later...

Is there really an audience for all these shows?  Are people still watching the original?  I never did because zombie fiction holds zero fascination to me, but I remember it being something people talked about and I haven't heard anyone mention the show IRL in at least 3 years.

16 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I stopped watching TWD around when Negan came in.

That's pretty much where I stopped too.

The show may have lost a lot of its popularity, but AMC needs strong franchises to show to their investors, so here we are.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I thought this show had ended already.

I think I stopped after the season in that community with the Governor. My sole interest in the show would be any glint of hope of a proper score release (as opposed to the shitty one we got).

• 1 month later...

I watched the first seasons, because it was interesting to watch how the humanity would "survive" (survive, it's a great word) a huge catastrophy that would completely destroy the governments, the laws, the social classes, a world where technology would regress, a world, where to survive, one would have to kill before being killed.

The first seasons were fun, then I quickly came to the conclusion that the authors of this story had a very hopeless and rather pessimistic vision of the future. We expect in this kind of context, that our heroes will be confronted with all kinds of strange people and packs... but, that they will only encounter dangerous psychopaths one after the other, I was completely disgusted at one point.

Then, I quickly realized that in such a context of "the end of the world", I would only survive few hours or minutes in the beginning of the story! 

Meh! :lol:

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I read somewhere recently that AMC heavily slashed the budget in between seasons 1 and 2

3 hours ago, AC1 said:

They normally do that if the ratings are declining. Wasn't this a successful show from the start?

2 hours ago, Jay said:

It was their biggest hit ever

I remember Aaron Sorkin, on the West Wing podcast, talking about how TV shows typically put the most money into early seasons, and start slashing the budget on later seasons.  The rationale was that you develop the audience early, then cut the costs later, while still charging higher ad rates based on the show's established popularity & ratings. It's in the later seasons they start making the money the invested early on back.

Obviously, streaming has changed this equation today, but AMC is still ad supported.  By ending Walking Dead and spinning it off, I'm sure AMC figures they can make more money with the high cast salaries split across multiple shows.

I stuck with Walking Dead (skipped the spin-offs) until the end, more out of habit and "I've come this far, so I might as well finish", but I think that was it for me. How many ways can you tell the same story?

• 11 months later...