The Book Thief nominated for Golden Globe

Romão

Gravity? Best score?

When I saw the film I soon realized it was a serious contender in the Oscar race. That's the kind of sound design that moviegoers seem to like nowadays, so that's what's going to win.

Well, I'm all for more atonal scores getting nominated; even if Gravity isn't a landmark in contemporary music writing.

But I'm quite happy for the Williams nom too. Surprised the film didn't get a nom for Geoffrey Rush, though.

While The Book Thief is extraordinary, I'm going to have to disagree with you. Gravity's score nearly ruined the movie for me. It abrasive, loud and clunky. The film would have been so much better if they had just left out the score.

Gravity? Best score? :lol:

ROTFLMAO

Loved the film but laughable that the score is considered anything other than serviceable.

I liked it. Haven't heard it on its own though.

I wouldn't say Garvity's score nearly ruined it. I thought it added to the tension and atmosphere in many places. Serviceable and fitting within the context of the movie? Yes. Particularly memorable or remarkable? Nope. Gravity should win lots of awards but not for score.

You see, my problem with the film is that it doesn't need any of that, Sandra Bullock's character development, any of that. The is interesting enough without all those fail-safe things they did to it in order not to alienate mass audience. And the score plays a major score in me being disappointed with the film.

Karol

While The Book Thief is extraordinary, I'm going to have to disagree with you. Gravity's score nearly ruined the movie for me. It abrasive, loud and clunky. The film would have been so much better if they had just left out the score.

I don't like Gravity's score. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like The Book Thief. There everything is soft and smooth.

I love Gravity's score. It's certainly not an easy listen to begin with, and if you're not attracted to ambient or textural music at all, then you won't like it.

Suffice it to say that I own the Gravity album, but not TBT.

You live among enemies and as social pariahs at JWFan. Every moment is fraught with peril here. You are brave souls both. I salute you.

Oh and congratulations to Maestro Williams for his deserved nomination. May he win this year!

Brave souls? Musically brain deaths I would say. Well, this the life here in JWfan nowdays. This shit and the Hobbit life. Atleast Hobbot

is good film music, although not listenable outside of the film.

I hope The Hobbit will win the Golden Globe.

Congrats to the maestro on yet another nomination! Though I have a feeling he won't win.

The major contenders will be the Mandela film, All is Lost and 12 Years a Slave.

Congrats to the maestro on yet another nomination! Though I have a feeling he won't win.

The major contenders will be the Mandela film, All is Lost and 12 Years a Slave.

Perhaps the old Williams charm will persuade the voters none the less. ;)

I think Williams need to play his interviews out the Tarantino way.

"If I was going to write a score for The Book Thief, then man, I knew without a doubt in my mind that it was going to have to be the greatest Book Thief score of all time, alright?"

He won't win. I guarantee it. The same set of films are appearing on all of the best score lists, and they are all from the critical darlings; in other words it has nothing to do with the quality of the music whatsoever.

• 3 weeks later...