The Book Thief nominated for Golden Globe

Romão

http://alexanderebert.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Ebert

Very, very upsetting this group of nominees lost to this. From what I've heard of this score, it's very soundscape-ish and boring.

Almost kinda fitting…maybe "all is lost" for good film music to win anything.

Very, very upsetting this group of nominees lost to this. From what I've heard of this score, it's very soundscape-ish and boring.

It's certainly a more deserving winner than BOOK THIEF. It may not be the best score ever written but it has an interesting musical approach, something Williams sadly has abandoned since 2005.

I guess it was predictable ... John didn't win.

It irks me that he wrote such a complex, lyrical score for this beautiful film - only to lose again. And I have to say my perception of Alex Ebert as a great film composer wasn't enhanced by his appearance or speaking abilities at the podium.

And I have to say my perception of Alex Ebert as a great film composer wasn't enhanced by his appearance or speaking abilities at the podium.

I don't know what either of those things have to do with writing music, but as to the last point, he clearly went in unprepared and had zero expectations that he was going to win. Honestly, I probably would too if I was up against the two most acclaimed movies of the year and John Williams.

It's certainly a more deserving winner than BOOK THIEF. It may not be the best score ever written but it has an interesting musical approach, something Williams sadly has abandoned since 2005.

And here we have another winner: The most idiotic comment of the year. Congratulations!

And it's only January.

Yeah, go and wank with your sound-design-noise scores. Pig-headed ignorance?... sorry to say but JW's last four scores are all better

and musically more interesting than scores like (before 2005)Munich, WoW, Terminal, CMIYC, MR and CoS just to mention few...so it is you who have

sadly abandoned it, if there ever was anything.

And the earth is a disc, masturbation causes blindness and the new pope is a queer cyborg and will cause the extinction of the human race. Welcome to antero's looney bin!

And here we have another winner: The most idiotic comment of the year. Congratulations!

And it's only January.

I think the fact that the winning score is more original than the Book thief, is an undeniable fact.

Now, if it's better or not, that is another discussion.

And it's only January.

I think the fact that the winning score is more original than the Book thief, is an undeniable fact.

Now, if it's better or not, that is another discussion.

Maybe it does more for the film than what Williams' score does. Williams score might be "better" and "more beautiful and complex" musically and composition wise, but it is all about serving the picture. People outside the business usually forget that.

Having seen neither of the films I am sure Williams score works great, but what if Alex Ebert's score works even better despite being musically "inferior" (I need to put that in quotes) - should Williams win because he is a better composer with x times the talent? No.

Maybe it does more for the film than what Williams' score does. Williams score might be "better" and "more beautiful and complex" musically and composition wise, but it is all about serving the picture. People outside the business usually forget that.

Having seen neither of the films I am sure Williams score works great, but what if Alex Ebert's score works even better despite being musically "inferior" (I need to put that in quotes) - should Williams win because he is a better composer with x times the talent? No.

An argument done to the death. It doesn't matter how the music works in the film around here - Williams' music is technically more accomplished, and that's all that apparently matters.

I've heard most cues from Ebert's score, and only one cue really seemed traditionally musical to me.

The cynic in me says it was a token vote for a popular film which wasn't going to win anything major. However, this opens the whole issue of what constitutes the 'best' score. I say there's no way to measure that.