RIP Peter O'Toole

Quintus

RIP Mr. O'Toole. A great, great actor. A legend indeed.

:music:We Are All Jungle Creatures from The Lion in Winter

I have been listening to his singing quite a lot lately, through "Goodbye Mr. Chips". Not sure if one can call it singing, but still...

Such an amazing actor. Can't forget him as Lawrence.

Reportedly, Williams was somewhat close to him.

He was of course a towering presence in Lawrence of Arabia, but it'll be something much smaller and camper which I'll always remember him for.

Squirt?... squirt?

Unfortunately I always think of his role as Priam in Troy :lol:

R.I.P. I liked him in The Last Emperor too! I have always liked the main theme for that film by the way, everyone else seems to hate that score (maybe because it stole the award that year and because most of the score is quite boring?). Anyway, I like the theme!

Peter O'Toole starred in several John Williams-scored films, not least of which is HOW TO STEAL A MILLION (1966), the composer's first A list project. Sad news.

http://longform.org/stories/peter-o-toole-on-the-ould-sod

Peter O’Toole was sitting in an airplane that one hour before had left London, where he has long lived in exile, and was flying to Ireland, his birthplace. The plane was filled with businessmen and rosy-cheeked Irishwomen, and also a scattering of priests, one of whom held a cigarette in what seemed to be a long, thin pair of wire tweezers—presumably so he would not touch tobacco with fingers that would later hold the Sacrament.

O’Toole, unaware of the priest, smiled as the stewardess brought his drink. She was a floridly robust little blonde in a tight green tweed uniform.

“Oh, look at that ass,” O’Toole said softly, shaking his head, raising his eyes with approval. “That ass is covered with tweed made in Connnemara, where I was born…Nicest asses in the world, Ireland. Irish-women still are carrying water on their heads and carrying their husbands home from pubs, and such things are the greatest posture builders in the world.”

My favorite role of his was his second intepretation of King Henry in Lion in Winter. It's a mesmerizing performance

Same here. Lion in Winter is crazy underrated... surprised it hasn't received the kind of treatment Gone With the Wind and Lawrence of Arabia enjoyed on home video.

My favorite role of his was his second intepretation of King Henry in Lion in Winter. It's a mesmerizing performance

Yes indeed! A powerhouse of a performance in one of my favourite films and it is nice that he got to play the youthful version of Henry in Becket (another rather larger than life portrayal of the same man).

Just played a trilogy of "How To Steal A Million", "The Lion In Winter", and "Supergirl".

Best exchange he ever did in a flim:

"This is for women only".

"And so, madam, is this, but once in a while I need to pass a little water through it".

From "My Favourite Year".

Also, check-out "Venus", "The Ruling Class", a nifty BBC TV show called "Rogue Male", and the delightful "Dean Spanley".

I wonder if he likes the lemonade, wherever he is?