Patrick Doyle's Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

Jay

Coming from Varese on January 14th

Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
JACK RYAN: SHADOW RECRUIT
Music Composed by
Patrick Doyle
(Thor, Brave, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes)
In the hotly anticipated SHADOW RECRUIT — directed by Academy Award winner Kenneth Branagh — Jack Ryan is a young covert CIA analyst (played by Star Trek’s Chris Pine) who uncovers a Russian plot to crash the U.S. economy with a terrorist attack.
Patrick Doyle (Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, Harry Potter & The Goblet Of Fire) has composed for every film directed by Kenneth Branagh (Dead Again, Henry V, Thor), and here he returns with an intense and action-packed score.
Paramount Pictures will open JACK RYAN: SHADOW RECRUIT nationwide on January 17.

http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/the-1146/Jack-Ryan-cln--Shadow-Recruit/Detail

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, let's not fool ourselves, this won't be an action packed Doyle in the vein of Frankenstein.

Even though, I have to admit his take on Thor was really nice.

I really more into his other stuff (like La Ligne Droite), but we'll see...

Karol

I expect this to be in the same vein as Rise of the Planet of the Apes. A score I found completely unremarkable.

I have to agree with this.

This won't be on the same level as The Hunt For Red October and The Sum Of All Fears.

"Hotly" is a word? Interesting...

I expect this to be in the same vein as Rise of the Planet of the Apes. A score I found completely unremarkable.

I have to agree with this.

This won't be on the same level as The Hunt For Red October and The Sum Of All Fears.

"Hotly" is a word? Interesting...

There is a big Russian choral piece that is certainly inspired by The Hunt for Red October. The score was performed by the London Symphony Orchestra.

Jason / Karol, the LSO played two selections from the score at their recent Patrick Doyle 60th Birthday concert in London at the beginning of the month. The cue with the Russian chorus was called Faith of Our Fathers and you can read the programme notes here:

http://www.lso.co.uk/images/01_12_Final__low_res__529727b0932bb.pdf

I thought the two pieces augured well for the score as a whole. The first featured a Hunt for Red October-style Russian chorus, as Jim points out. Very stirring stuff! Although the two selections performed were traditional orchestral pieces, note the composer's comments about the use of electronics.

• 3 weeks later...

First sample:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMs_oWm3quI

Apart from the obvious ostinato string driven opening, the piece is actually quite good! It develops real nicely into a heroic and uplifting mood.

Still don't know about the film, but the score seems full of promise.

Cover art and track list up at Varese

a20791514379eb849fa96f_l.jpg

a20791514379ec1bee77a9_l.jpg

Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
JACK RYAN: SHADOW RECRUIT
Music Composed by
Patrick Doyle
(Thor, Brave, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes)
In the hotly anticipated SHADOW RECRUIT — directed by Academy Award winner Kenneth Branagh — Jack Ryan is a young covert CIA analyst (played by Star Trek’s Chris Pine) who uncovers a Russian plot to crash the U.S. economy with a terrorist attack.
Patrick Doyle (Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, Harry Potter & The Goblet Of Fire) has composed for every film directed by Kenneth Branagh (Dead Again, Henry V, Thor), and here he returns with an intense and action-packed score.
Paramount Pictures will open JACK RYAN: SHADOW RECRUIT nationwide on January 17.
Varese Sarabande Catalog # 302 067 242 8
Release Date: 02/04/14
Track List:
1. Flying Over Afghanistan (2:43)
2. The United Nations (2:42)
3. Shadow Accounts (2:54)
4. The Window Reflection (1:51)
5. Rooftop Call (1:52)
6. Second Great Depression (3:19)
7. Faith Of Our Fathers (4:00)
8. Cheverin Meets Ryan (2:11)
9. Plan In A Van (1:51)
10. The Activation (2:19)
11. Aleksandr (1:54)
12. The Engagement (2:24)
13. Stealing The Data (7:59)
14. Get Out (4:19)
15. Moscow Car Chase (4:15)
16. The Lightbulb (4:37)
17. Unravelling The Data (4:37)
18. CIA Recruitment (1:41)
19. Chopper To NYC (1:40)
20. Bike Chase (3:47)
21. Jack And Aleksandr (3:15)
22. Picking This Life (1:04)
23. Ryan, Mr. President (3:28)
24. Shadow Recruit (2:30)

• 4 weeks later...

The theme montage in the latest FSM issue piqued my interest enough that I decided to grab this one. Using a 10% off coupon, I was able to get it in FLAC from HDTracks for only $10.78! Sure beats the $14-$24 + shipping that I would have paid at Amazon/Varese!