King Mark Saw the Hobbit tonight

King Mark

The visual effects on Smaug were amazing, but my favorite part of the film is Gandalf investigating the dark fortresses

I noticed a few good cues in the score like the rest of the other scores. I'll make a play list of what I like of it

Yea I am excited for the Dol Guldur payoff in the next film

Yea Smaug had pretty much flawless special effects, though I am bummed they made his front legs part of his wings instead of the wings being a separate body part from his arms

Yea Smaug had pretty much flawless special effects, though I am bummed they made his front legs part of his wings instead of the wings being a separate body part from his arms

There was ONE instance in the bloated dwarf action chase in the end (I believe its the part where Smaug is struggling in the pool of molten gold), where he looked truly awful...as if the CG model of the dragon was still in the pre-visual stage.

Yea, the shots concerning Smaug being covered in molten gold were probably the worst in the entire film, made worse by the fact the entire sequence was stupid and unneeded anyway.

Well, it would be pretty silly to have all those scenes concerning Bard's ancestor Girion and his inability to skill Smaug back in the day with his fancy black arrows if he was just going to be killed in a completely different manner in the film (another reason why the gold bit shouldn't have been in there)

At least in the original structure (only 2 films instead of 3), all of that stuff with the arrows would have been introduced in the same film where Smaug's ultimate fate is revealed instead of introducing them in one film and not pay off until another, making any one watching the films who actually hadn't read the books easily figure out what's going to happen. They should have never changed their original plan.

It's the Empire Strikes Back of the series.

But if you're gonna create a thread just to tell us you saw it then you could have at least written an actual review...

Joey is gonna love you for making another Hobbit thread!

The molten gold was one of the worst sfx in the series.

Molten fudge you mean.

I guess the dwarves were quite the confectioners but alas hot fudge can't kill dragons.

I am sure they did hours and hours of research and found out it was not that different from gold paint.

The molten gold was absolutely stupid - partly from an effects PoV (easily the worse large-scale effect in the franchise), and partly due to what Jay pointed out - there's no possible way they will kill the dragon with the 'black arrow' subplot hanging and an entire 150 minute threequel to get through.

Splitting it into 3 films was easily the worst decision PJ's ever made IMO. All the material I've seen so far in both films would make a perfectly entertaining 2 hour film. Instead, it was without a doubt the longest I felt I'd ever sat in a cinema for.

Splitting it into 3 films was easily the worst decision PJ's ever made IMO.

Yep. Most problems with those films all come down to this decision.

Weird pace, weird editing, uninteresting added subplots, hacked up score, last-minute changed designs, changed character roles, unexisting endings... Most of these things happened after they decided to do three films.

I think the "last minute decision" syndrome affects these films a heck lot more than they ever did LotR even though it had its fair share of changes throughout.

Weird though that for DoS soooo much stuff from the book was dropped or truncated in the first half. It felt like the film had barely been going by the time they were in the Elvish prisons.

And still there is such an urgency in the film all the time. There is no time for a breather at any point nor is passage of time felt. It feels like it takes 4 days to reach Lake-Town and 1 to the hidden door and still the film is 2h 40 minutes long.

The EE will fix a lot of these issues.

PJ should stop relying on the EEs to "fix" his films.

Exactly! Lose the extraneous material and Tauriels and subplots that don't go anywhere and focus on the main story!

Better then AUJ!

Yes yes. We all know there is a nice Hobbit movie under all that fat but PJ should have trimmed a good portion of it to make it into a watchable film.

Because he didnt Warner will probably make an extra 1 billion USD

They could have made 2 with an even better (shorter) film!

Weird though that for DoS soooo much stuff from the book was dropped or truncated in the first half. It felt like the film had barely been going by the time they were in the Elvish prisons.

And still there is such an urgency in the film all the time. There is no time for a breather at any point nor is passage of time felt. It feels like it takes 4 days to reach Lake-Town and 1 to the hidden door and still the film is 2h 40 minutes long.

So, how long till I declare it an absolute mess?

So, how long till I declare it an absolute mess?

Not yet...not quite yet...