King Mark Saw the Hobbit tonight

King Mark

All Hail King Mark, King of Kanadia.

I thought we only had a Queen....is it time to change the lyrics?

God save our gracious King,

Live long our noble King,

God save the King!

King Mark is an original Member of the Phantom Trio KK, he has been ruler of Kanadia for as long as anyone on JRRTfan.com can remember. He is not a King, he is THE KING.

King Mark is an original Member of the Phantom Trio KK, he has been ruler of Kanadia for as long as anyone on JRRTfan.com can remember. He is not a King, he is THE KING.

Ahh, I see. So his lineage traces back to the Golden Age of these forums, the tales and folklore of an era gone by of which I've only heard rumours of.

Someone must enlighten me on this famed Phantom Trio...

The original Trio consisted of Me, King Mark and Crushercomix. But Crusher and KM went into dotage. One descending into religious madness, the other into booze.

A second Trio formed, consisting of me, Indysolo (Neil S. Bulk, who was moderator here) and Renovia, Queen of the MB.

Both are currently not posting.

I'm hiring!

The original Trio consisted of Me, King Mark and Crushercomix. But Crusher and KM went into dotage. One descending into religious madness, the other into booze.

A second Trio formed, consisting of me, Indysolo (Neil S. Bulk, who was moderator here) and Renovia, Queen of the MB.

Both are currently not posting.

I'm hiring!

you forget one small detail. I dubbed thee the title. As far as I'm concerned the original trio still reigns. Can still posts...from time to time.

He did fix TTT with the EE.

In what way?

Faramir's character, which has to carry a significant part of the film, is pretty butchered by all the cuts to the theatrical version, and in my opinion (and that of most friends I've talked to about it) simply doesn't work. As a result, the entire storyline involving him feels awkward, unfocused and random. The EE fixes all that.

Diminished?

On balance. The extensions add welcome colour and variety while sometimes disrupting what had been a well-controlled sense of momentum. I would probably come out in favour of the extension were it not for the disruption caused to the charge of the Rohirrim on arrival at the Pelennor Fields - the high point of the entire trilm for me.

My main gripe with the EE is that is destroys any suspense regarding the black corsairs from Umbar.

My main gripe with the TTT EE is the short scene early in the film already showing too clearly Gollum's Slinker/Stinker persona's. Something the theatrical version doesn't highlight until the classic scene later in the film

I think that he unequivocally improved The Fellowship of the Ring with its extension, on balance improved The Two Towers, and on balance diminished The Return of the King.

I prefer the theatrical cut of FotR. In general I prefer the theatrical cuts of each film.

So do I, but there are some great gems in the EEs, and some great scenes that I wish were kept in the theatrical cut.

There have been three pages of posts on this thread since I last visited, and I was worried that I missed something interesting or important, but nope!

The main reason why I stay out of any and all Tolkien disccusions is because 5 pages gets tacked on to each thread every day. Seeing this one follow suit made me stay away, but I'm glad I came back, albeit too late. Missed all the Joey action.

So do I, but there are some great gems in the EEs, and some great scenes that I wish were kept in the theatrical cut.

That's how I feel about it too. It's frustrating, because there's some really nice additions, but most of the added stuff I think is unnecessary and even boring. And with FotR I find the extra footage very early on is even damaging and just not worth the later gems trade-off.

I prefer the theatrical cut of FotR.

The thing that makes the extended edition a far superior film for me is the fleshing-out of the Lothlórien segment - not because I'm necessarily a huge Lothlóriophile, but because I find that it makes the film feel much more satisfying structurally. In particular, the two halves of the extended version (and this is the only one of the EEs which splits perfectly into two parts across the two discs) have complementary forms. Part 1, to oversimplify grossly, has a slow-fast-slow form (i.e. two largely expository segments sandwiching a segment of intense activity); then Part 2 has a fast-slow-fast form, with the more serene version of Lothlórien serving as a respite between two vigorous outer layers. The shorter Lothlórien, with its heavier focus on maintaining a threatening mood, doesn't have the same relaxing effect. I think that it's mainly because of this that I always find that the extended edition feels shorter.

I felt TTT was hurt by the theatrical edition - some parts feel a little rushed. The EE is a much better film IMO.

RotK could use a lot of trimming I think. Never had any complaints about FotR, and that's partly due to the more linear story, and partly because the first film has a lot to prove that the sequels don't. (once you've got them with one film, they'll automatically want to see the rest.)

The problem with ROTK is that it's the movie that has to wrap everything up.

Fellowship follows the book the closest of all 3 films, and ends at almost exactly the same place the book ends (one chapter into TTT actually)

With The Two Towers they took a very different approach, by magnifying the importance of the Helms Deep siege and battle, which in the book takes up one chapter, but in the film becomes the main focus and climax of the picture.

So much of the rest of the book was pushed to the next film. The whole SAruman resolution, the finding of the Palantir, Pippin looking at it and the decision to go to Minas Tirith. Plus a very large chunk of the Sam/Frodo story from TTT was all relegated to ROTK. Leaving that film to carry far more of the actual plot then the other two films. The theatrical version feels like it's constantly rushing, going from one plot point to another while not having the time to dwell much on details, because there is sooo much still to cover.

The EE is, in that regard an improvement. It adds some dimension to characters and events. But even in it's extended form it remains by far the most uneven film of the trilogy.

I think that he unequivocally improved The Fellowship of the Ring with its extension, on balance improved The Two Towers, and on balance diminished The Return of the King.

I prefer the theatrical cut of FotR. In general I prefer the theatrical cuts of each film.

I agree with both statements. I do wish the Lothlorien gifts scene was left in the theatrical edition though. For TTT and ROTK, the EEs do nothing but extend the already boring parts for me.

I'd like the theatrical cuts, plus some choice scenes - Aragorn singing about Beren, the mithril mines, Galadriel's gifts, Saruman's death, the Mouth of Sauron, and maybe some others here and there I'm forgetting. That would be the ideal cut for me.

Saruman's death should have NEVER been removed from the TTT. That was scandalous treatment of both the character and Lee, and just really bad design. What a foolish move it turned out to be.

Ten years later it's far less surprising than it was, coming from Jackson.

It would have been incredibly anticlimactic at the end of TTT. Makes no sense to put it there.

But it should have opened ROTK.

It would have been incredibly anticlimactic at the end of TTT. Makes no sense to put it there.

But it should have opened ROTK.

Sorry that's what I meant. The beginning of RotK.

I haven't watched THE TRILOGY in five years.

I'm not sure why I'm not a bigger LotR/Hobbit fan since Medieval/fantasy RPG video games are my absolute favorite

The Hobbit Trilogy is getting closer to that so I guess I'm liking the Hobbit trilogy more than LotR.At least Gandalf is using magic spells now and the sets have a more high fantasy look to them.