TWIN PEAKS

Romão

Parks is a fantastic actor. Just a shame Tusk was so awful.

Speaking of great actors, any word if Everett McGill was found and if he's coming back for this?

Let's hope so. By all accounts he's been something of a recluse since he quit acting (over 15 years ago now). They should add a featurette on the eventual Blu-ray about how they tracked him down and what he's been up to. A tremendous screen presence.

As long as it doesn't go to the soap-opera cringeworthy levels of season 2, I'm sure it'll be great.

I was referring to the music, but I believe Steef was referring to the show.

The score got really sappy as the second season neared its second half.

That's where we are right now. The seventh episode (or at least the episode where Bob is 'revealed') already felt awkwardly directed.

As long as it doesn't go to the soap-opera cringeworthy levels of season 2, I'm sure it'll be great.

That was the point. It always has been that way.

Lynch was pretty lazy (and cheap) when it came to the music. Badalamenti recorded a variety of tracks and Lynch would always use these same tracks for each episode. The music was treated and added to the series as if it was stock music. It's gotten extremely repetitive (and I could almost see Lynch pushing the 'play' button). Again, I would like a more tailor-made approach for S3 where Badalamenti would sit down and actually write music for each episode.

Alex

I think that was the point of the music and it was very much an intrinsic part of the kitsch style of the show from the beginning. The score was always sappy in Twin Peaks, Kal.

The later problems of season 2 were purely down to the awful writing and structure, imo.

I only found out very recently that some of the "half speed"/slowed down Twin Peaks tracks aren't even fresh compositions - they are actually cues from Badalamenti's "The Comfort of Strangers" slowed down.

(neither here nor there, just wanted to share)

You'd be surprised how many different versions of the big "themes" there are - different instrumentations, different performances, etc. There was definitely tons of tracking, but possibly not as much as you remember.

You'd be surprised how many different versions of the big "themes" there are - different instrumentations, different performances, etc. There was definitely tons of tracking, but possibly not as much as you remember.

This.

allowed? What do you think, there's some kind of governing body that overseas all TV productions and slaps down mandates about how things are "supposed" to be?

There was a musician's union strike somewhere in the mid 80's because it was deemed unfair that they would be paid for a recording once, but the music was used over and over again.

Thats why in the early 80's you still have lots of shows that tracked music, and in the late 80's composers were required to only write and record new music. No tracking.

The difference can be heard in Star Trek versus Star Trek TNG

Union musicians didn't play on the Twin Peaks music. It's Angelo Badalamenti playing synthesizers.

For the most part, yes, but not all of it

I only remember three cues from the show: the main theme, Laura's theme and some suspense/"scary moment" tune and all three were tracked to death throughout the show, so much that I got sick of them by the end of it.

One of my favorite's is the repetitive jazz which plays in various guises whenever Audrey is about.

I think that was the point of the music and it was very much an intrinsic part of the kitsch style of the show from the beginning. The score was always sappy in Twin Peaks, Kal.

The later problems of season 2 were purely down to the awful writing and structure, imo.

I know, but the music got especially annoying to me during all those Donna/James scenes, like the soap-opera factor got amped up another 10 times. I always viewed the show as more of a play on the soap-opera genre (as it shows in the music), but by the late second season, everything sort of became an annoying version of what it was trying to mock, including the music.

Don't get me wrong, I think the score is generally great! Especially the jazz bits, and Laura's theme (though it did get overplayed). I just hope we don't get anything as disastrous as this for the new season:

Lynch was pretty lazy (and cheap) when it came to the music. Badalamenti recorded a variety of tracks and Lynch would always use these same tracks for each episode. The music was treated and added to the series as if it was stock music. It's gotten extremely repetitive (and I could almost see Lynch pushing the 'play' button). Again, I would like a more tailor-made approach for S3 where Badalamenti would sit down and actually write music for each episode.

Alex

Wasn't this fairly normal in 80s/90s/00s television? Heck even now, most large-season tv shows do that, just less obviously.

I'm think S3's will be more tailor-made, as you say, like for a mini-series.

That's where we are right now. The seventh episode (or at least the episode where Bob is 'revealed') already felt awkwardly directed.

Are you talking about the one with the climactic reveal at the end, or the one after that? Because the former was exceptional, and chilling. It's the latter where it got pretty messy, but was still entertaining enough. And then everything after that fell apart, until the finale.

Union musicians didn't play on the Twin Peaks music. It's Angelo Badalamenti playing synthesizers.

For the most part, yes, but not all of it

Indeed, there's drums (the famous brushes & vibraphone track) and sax.

Alex

Wasn't this fairly normal in 80s/90s/00s television? Heck even now, most large-season tv shows do that, just less obviously.

I'm think S3's will be more tailor-made, as you say, like for a mini-series.

In soap series, where there is no time or money, absolutely! Maybe I'm used to golden age TV too much. Are you saying Game Of Thrones is scored that way too? With a bunch a pre-written tracks? I'm currently watching Bates Motel S2 and it feels like it's scored as if it's a movie (even the music feels classic movie-ish). I never have the feeling someone is hitting the play knob.

Alex

There is very little tracking in the quality television dramas of today. They budget to have new music written for every episode

Yeah, but those are higher end tv shows. I was referring more to serial comedies and such. But you're right, there's very little of that now. I just presumed it was the norm in the early 90s.

I also feel it was part of the effect that Lynch was going for. It made you feel uncomfortable, added to the eerie quality of the structure. Unfortunately it started to work against itself a bit as you became too aware of it.

I agree that there are comedic elements, just as there are elements of anxiety, fear, discomfort, drama, romance, etc, but comedy never struck me as the main drive of the show. It seemed to function more for balance, and to make it that much more odd.

I agree that there are comedic elements, just as there are elements of anxiety, fear, discomfort, drama, romance, etc, but comedy never struck me as the main drive of the show. It seemed to function more for balance, and to make it that much more odd.

This.

More recently than that, Showtime had its TCA presentation. They are hoping for a 2016 release, although they are giving Lynch as much time as he needs to put everything together - so it may be longer.

The second half of the second season of TP, of course, is less successful than the earlier bits of the series - but I love it all the same. It's more opportunity to dig into the dreamy world of Twin Peaks. Cooper's plot with Windom Earle and the mystical side of Twin Peaks are great. The rest is kind of hit-or-miss, and your mileage may vary based on how much you like the silly side of the show. Maybe I'm blinded because I grew up with the show - my father, the David Lynch fan, showed it to my brother around middle-school age, who showed it to me when I was 9 or 10.

As I grew up and my knowledge of the world expanded, my understanding of the events of the show grew with me. Eventually, throughout college, I rewatched the series multiple times, introducing it to friends and exes. (my spouse hates the thing). I always felt like I needed to give a disclaimer around the time Laura's killer is discovered, but I never really did. They were all hooked.

I also feel it was part of the effect that Lynch was going for. It made you feel uncomfortable, added to the eerie quality of the structure. Unfortunately it started to work against itself a bit as you became too aware of it.

Yes. The drop in overall quality made me notice the working parts more, to their individual detriment. The music became somewhat overbearing, along with the storylines and hammy dialogue.

The second half of the second season of TP, of course, is less successful than the earlier bits of the series - but I love it all the same. It's more opportunity to dig into the dreamy world of Twin Peaks. Cooper's plot with Windom Earle and the mystical side of Twin Peaks are great. The rest is kind of hit-or-miss, and your mileage may vary based on how much you like the silly side of the show.

To some extent this is how I feel about the lacklustre parts of S2 as well. I end up forgiving it for being awful.

Wow I dunno how we all missed this news, but here it is

‘Twin Peaks’ Reboot Pushed to 2017, Co-Creator Mark Frost Says

So much for "See you in 25 years"!

That's some good reporting by......The Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum....wait, what?