TWIN PEAKS

Romão

The intriguing thing is that the ending of ep 17 is the kind of closed ending one would expect out of pure fan service (complete with a Julee Cruise number), but Lynch is too clever to let it end there, and instead unwinds the very thread he's knitted in the last episode. All those tense moments without very little actually happening (like the drive with Carrie/Laura, where you expect things to happen at any given moment, but they don't -- very "Michael Haneke" in a way).

I give it a 7/10 without having seen the final episode. The slowness did not always work for me and the production values weren't quite up to scratch. Am I the first one to say that Kyle Maclachlan should get an Emmy for best actor? I probably am ...

tumblr_ore7k2suC51uxbwf5o1_500.gif

Best image of the season ...

Alex

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Am I the first one to say that Kyle Maclachlan should get an Emmy for best actor? I probably am ...

Only you, Alex, I definitely haven't been pointing out how great Kyle Maclachlan has been all season. 

20 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

I think it's pretty hard for me to be let down once I'm enjoying something, but I think I've been let down by this in the end.

Took this revival as an excuse not only to become familiar with the existing show, but the rest of Lynch's work.  I formed an opinion of solo Lynch, which I have to say wasn't particularly glowing, but felt that coupled with Frost and the format of long form television, he yielded some truly great stuff.  

And I maintained that opinion throughout The Return.  All the things that seemed to bug many didn't really bug me.  There is a lot to be said for a deliberate pace, for teasing and vagueness and wallowing in mystery and questions.  Until episode 18, I think they managed this quite well and never once stepped over the line into stylistic masturbation.

But where the story has ultimately ended up - and if it hasn't ultimately ended up here, I think my complaints are moot - is difficult for me to get behind.

I see where you're coming from. I'm confused. I can't really say yet if I'm disappointed, because it doesn't make enough sense to me to dismiss the ending. Without more context, I'd probably still be excited by the finale episodes if it was a cliffhanger. If it was indeed the end, with all the stuff that's been brought up during the season, I feel that even if some of it has been left hanging, there's more to work out before I know what to think of the ending. E.g. figure out how separate the Audrey storyline is from the rest, and which parts belong to it.

I loved 17 by the way. Very fascinating how it integrated with FWWM, although I found it hard to tell which parts were pure, original FWWM and which were tweaked.

I certainly was impressed by the series overall and look forward to watching it again. Perhaps then I have a clearer opinion on the finale.

Plenty are saying it should have ended at 17. I too joked that out loud in the living room as the credits on 17 rolled. Then we watched 18 immediately after it.

Poor Sherilyn Fenn though. She was so excited when Lynch called her to say S3 was happening (she was in a restaurant at the time), and yet she turned up to the set up to be matched with a midget and that was that. I genuinely feel sorry for her for some weird reason.

I don't think the reason is weird at all.  Everybody loved her and her character, she was excited, and she ended up as a seemingly irrelevant bit part in a larger thing that itself spiraled into a questionable conclusion.

I'm not angry at Lynch or Frost or any of that other crap I'm seeing from spurned fair weather fans, but there was some line finally crossed here that prevents me from saying I enjoyed the last two hours in the way that I think this show deserved.  I will need years of reading cogent attempts at surmising what happened before I even stop scoffing at the "genius!" crowd.  And yeah, I do think a greater semblance of what happened is necessary - this is Twin Peaks, not a solo bit of fuckery from Lynch.  This level of "out there" or "intuitive storytelling" doesn't seem to suit the material, it feels like a tonal betrayal, which is my biggest issue here.  

What it is, now, is just a crummy attempt, whatever else might be in there. 

I still feel the same way as I posted earlier, despite listening to what some people interpreted from the ending. IF this is really just a season finale, and we really are getting more; I don't like where it went, but I'll go with it and would love to see more. But if this remains as the series finale to it all... not good for me.

17 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Am I the first one to say that Kyle Maclachlan should get an Emmy for best actor? I probably am ...

Alex

People have been saying that since the first four episodes went online.

Huh. I actually really dug that. With a little fat-trimming (mainly the Diane stuff), this is a very fine finale indeed.

Now someone needs to do a proper 9 episode edit, cutting out half of the useless characters that popped up and you have a pretty fucking great season.

11 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

You and I are the first and only ones who have liked it!

On the planet. Anybody tells you different and they're lying!

So anyway, if Showtime were to order another 18 episodes (they won't), I'd give it a miss that time around. If they ordered another 9 (they probably won't), I'd tune in.

I still don't have a lot to say - still digesting - but man did I love that finale.

The whole identity crisis of episode 18 - real(?) Coop, real(?) Diane, Richard, Linda, Carrie Page - was straight out of Lynch's playbook (Lost Highway especially, but also bits of Mulholland Dr and Inland Empire).  I read a recent Esquire interview with Kyle McLachlan where he said that when he first read the script, he knew that The Return would appeal more to David Lynch fans than Twin Peaks fans, but that hopefully some of the Twin Peaks fans would go along for the ride.  Seems about right.

3 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

You know, having now seen the finale, I'm not sure it would have made the same impact with only 7-8 episodes leading up to it instead of 17. Maybe those 17 episodes were a necessary evil!

Maybe. Some things paid off (ex. Horne and the ringing) But some of it was just absolutely exhausting (all the Horne's son/grandson stuff really). 

For a minute at the end there, Maclachlan was dawdling a bit before he said the final line, and I was afraid amnesia Coop was back again!

5 hours ago, KK said:

Huh. I actually really dug that. With a little fat-trimming (mainly the Diane stuff),

Diane was a character S3 could do without.

Definitely. She overstayed her welcome, and wasn't very rewarding in the end.

We could have used a proper Audrey storyline in her place!

Man, I loved these last two episodes, specially the very last one.

This show took a while to get used to, seeing how different it was from the previous seasons of Twin Peaks. And after 16 episodes, when you think you can have the tone of this show figured out, Lynch throws us yet another curve ball with these two episodes, specially the very last one.

I thought this last one was an extraordinary hour of television. I was completely taken by it.

The only problem with it was...it was the last episode. And that changes everything and I really don't how I feel about it. It has so much promise

But for better or worse, this is easiest the ballsiest, most uncompromising show I have ever seen. Even the parts I didn't enjoy so much, I still have tremendous respect for.

But I really do hope more Twin Peaks will follow

BTW, the previous owner of what was suposed to be Sarah's Palmer house was Chalfont, which was the name Mrs. Tremond went by when she was living in the Fat Trout Trailer park in FWWM. And the current owner of the house was Alice Tremond