TWIN PEAKS

Romão

Because IN Twin Peaks, Tim Roth is clearly aping Gomer Pyle/Jim Nabors!

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 7:48 PM, mstrox said:

Tim Roth was doing an unashamed imitation of Jim Nabors in this series - both the accent and the mannerisms.

On 26.4.2018 at 2:45 PM, mstrox said:

Because IN Twin Peaks, Tim Roth is clearly aping Gomer Pyle/Jim Nabors!

Ah! Gotcha.

Get ready for like 9 hours of basically fly-on-the-wall footage like that!  I usually don't care for special features, but the TP ones and Lynch's process are fascinating.

They're all "fake", though, right? The second video above is certainly staged, unless he's directing someone how to strangle.

None of them are fake.  The first is Lynch's reaction to being pushed to hurry along on shots/scenes during production.  The second is during rehearsals, directing Sherilyn Fenn how he wants her to strangle the actor who plays Charlie.

There are a few more genuine pissed off moments during the shooting, including one where he has to wait a few hours in the desert for the sun to be in the right place, one where too many staffers are in the sheriff's station during rehearsals, one where they couldn't obtain the right materials for him to sculpt the portal in the woods (where Naido appears) so he had to use plaster of paris.  I'm sure there were a few more in there that I can't remember.  But that's spread out over a whole production, and over many many hours of footage.  An 18 hour movie/a full season of a TV show under one director, especially with budgetary and time issues, and especially when the director is very particular about how things look and what he wants, is bound to be stressful.

The sweet moments, the interesting production moments, etc outweigh the grumpy ones a lot.

The biggest downside about the special features is that they only cover principal photography - meaning nothing from pre-production or post-production, nothing with Mark Frost (outside of maybe when he was filming his cameo), nothing about the effects, etc.

The person asking for a shorter length shot of Candy was onto something. She should have piped up more often throughout the production.

Ironically though, the Candy material in The Return was some of the more favourable Twin Peaksy stuff that I enjoyed.

7 hours ago, Quintus said:

See this is what happens when you don't surround yourself with yes men (and women)!

This is hilarious.

8 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

I've heard he has some temper problems and loses patience with people easily. A bit of a delicate artiste really. There's more footage of that around YouTube.

There are a fair few scenes like this of him on YouTube, he's a major tantrum artist to be honest. It's pretty apparent now why the whole thing very nearly fell apart before the show went into production. Lynch is a bit of a diva and a cranky old git.

I would. I can perfectly understand his frustration with Hollywood nitwits with limited understanding of the artform, more occupied with conventions, time tables and economy.

45 minutes ago, Thor said:

I would. I can perfectly understand his frustration with Hollywood nitwits with limited understanding of the artform, more occupied with conventions, time tables and economy.

What a ignorant jerk comment.

Often they're people working under immense pressure answering to executives whom impose strict budgetary and time limitations on the production team. Everyone has a boss and their own personal work stresses to contend with, as well accomodating as best they can the demands of their diva artiste.

I guess this goes part way to explaining why you're but a budding journo and not actually working in the industry, though.

I don't give a monkey's toss about the industry. I'm all about the artist's freedom, and the desire to break conventions etc. So yes, screw the narrowminded Hollywood nitwits and their conventions! Kudos to artists like Lynch who fights against them! When it was said the above clips were real, not staged, it heightened my respect for him even more.

With that kind of attitude, directors will just be shooting home movies with their phone.

Respect the crew and their input, and they'll respect you. Otherwise it becomes a toxic workplace environment where bullying is the norm.

1 minute ago, Margo Channing said:

With that kind of attitude, directors will just be shooting home movies with their phone.

Respect the crew and their input, and they'll respect you. Otherwise it becomes a toxic workplace environment where bullying is the norm.

The crew, yes. The "suits" and executive producers that completely lack visionary qualities, no.

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

The crew, yes. The "suits" and executive producers that completely lack visionary qualities, no.

It didn't sound like a "suit" or executive producer in that video. More like an assistant director, production manager or line producer whose job it is to ensure the workflow and scheduling within the machine works properly.

Unlike Thor I have a great deal of respect and appreciation for the financial management and greenlighting *executive roles* of the industry. Like when Bob Shaye of New Line was brave enough to offer Peter Jackson and his writing team a three movie deal (instead of the proposed two) to adapt Lord of the Rings; or like years earlier when the production costs of Jaws spiralled but Zanuck and Brown took a gamble with their director and increased the budget all the way up to 9 mil. These are massively under pressure executives and floor managers working behind the scenes, allowing the craft to happen, enabling the magic to exist in the first place.

One can hear the anxiety about cash restraints here in this video:

Yeah I saw that video too and wondered how a more level-headed director would have reacted to being told they only had access to an actor for two shooting days or else they need to be paid more. That's just shit you need to work around.

Yeah, I'll admit I'm more of an idealist here. I realize there are real-world logistics and pragmatics that one must account for, but I don't like it when it comes to directors like Lynch. He needs space and not be hampered by people who don't understand his vision. That being said, I'm impressed and delighted that the end result in this case came out as idiosyncratic as it did. I just hope it didn't deter Lynch from doing more films or television. You can kinda get that impression from the video above, which I saw on YT just earlier today, so funny coincidence.

21 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yeah, I'll admit I'm more of an idealist here. I realize there are real-world logistics and pragmatics that one must account for, but I don't like it when it comes to directors like Lynch. He needs space and not be hampered by people who don't understand his vision. 

Do you think you possibly squeeze your head a bit further up into his arse mate? I can still see a bit of your neck. I want shoulders deep here, come on.

• 3 months later...

Currently at the Twin Peaks: Conversation With the Stars event in Sydney. Al Strobel had a heart attack in Melbourne, so he couldn't make it. They have a vase of roses standing where he'd meant to be sitting. The actors haven't come out yet but there's a great band playing music from the show - good thing I brought my industrial strength ear plugs!

EDIT: Al showed up!

I'm just all Twin Peaksed out now (I get that way about a lot of things after a while, including Star Wars), but it's not like I stopped being a fan of the originals or anything (same as Star Wars).

I agree with Quintus that it WAS quite draining with the new TWIN PEAKS series and all the discussions that ensued. But it's part of my cultural DNA, and the original show was so instrumental in many areas of my very cultural being (including my film music interest), that it's hard to ever get away.