TWIN PEAKS

Romão

7 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Probably because it's cheaper, and it takes up far less space, than a physical collection.

But you can't look at it and admire it on your shelf if you watch it as an internet video. I guess unless you found a way to tape it off the internet and made your own cardboard box cover and put Twin Peaks stickers with scenes from the show on it.

My pet theory for FWWM is it depicts Cooper's dream while he's in the Black Lodge, based on everything he learned from the Laura Palmer case, and builds a narrative of the week leading up to her death within his own mind, which is why the film occasionally cuts to scenes of Coop trapped in the red room asking how does he leave.

Spoiler

Agent Phillip Jeffries was new in FWWM, although this may not be the last time you see him.

What are your feelings on the tonal shift between TP and FWWM?  Have you partaken in many Lynch films before FWWM?

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

What was up with that random David Bowie cameo? Was that ever referenced in the original run? I don’t recall it. 

Referenced? What do you mean? He's a new character invented for the movie. 

21 hours ago, mstrox said:   Reveal hidden contents
Spoiler

What are your feelings on the tonal shift between TP and FWWM?  Have you partaken in many Lynch films before FWWM?

Although I’m familiar with Lynch and his style, I haven’t actually seen any of his films outside of The Elephant Man.

As for the tonal shift, I didn’t feel like much changed outside of the content being more graphic. I really liked the club scene with the blasting music and subtitles. 

Interesting.  FWWM feels different than the series to me - it loses all the soapy elements and much of the humor.  The Return follows this trend, and also eschews a lot of the music which makes it feel much more clinical - purposely. I still love it.

Well I can agree with that, but I felt that was cut in the interest of time and plot to focus on Laura’s demise. 

From what I read, Fire Walk With Me was originally 5 hours long and much more like the series before it was edited down. The Missing Pieces did bring some of that back in with the other characters. 

Even though Twin Peaks is the best show ever or whatever, I wouldn't recommend watching it. More prolonged deaths are likely to occur while watching it than they are driving.

I think members should be awarded badges under their avatar for having seen all the seasons.

38 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Well I can agree with that, but I felt that was cut in the interest of time and plot to focus on Laura’s demise. 

Wise decision by Lynch. I reckon even more could have been trimmed out.

The reduction in silliness is why I don't think I'd like the return. If it's closer to that TV movie than the old show, then, yeah. Fuck that. I haven't seen all of Lynch's work, but I'm almost convinced I only enjoy Twin Peaks season 1 and 2.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

One of the best TV episodes since the millennium turnover, maybe of all time. You need to turn off your brain and just 'experience'.

I think it must hold some type of record for least amount of dialogue in an episode of television. I loved it, but can’t claim that I understood any of it. 

We all did, Koray, we all did.

On 4/29/2020 at 9:08 PM, Koray Savas said:

Part 8

David Lynch just turned my brain into scrambled eggs. 

But he gifted us this. So I guess that makes it okay?

17 hours ago, KK said:

We all did, Koray, we all did.

Indeed. The revival series was basically a middle finger to all nostalgia buffs like us, expecting to get more of the same -- including the Cooper return. I had some serious issues with this at first, but now that's one of the reasons why I really love this show, and Lynch's project in general. You have to take it for what it is, and not what you WANT it to be. 

Nah, audiences have a right to some things. The main protagonist being a given for a revival series. Dragging on the Dougie character for so long didn’t serve any immediate narrative, it was done purposely to subvert the audience expectations. And for that reason it’s a con of the show, in my opinion. 

But anyway, I’m about to watch the final two episodes. See you on the other side!

Twin Peaks or no, I would love to see more David Lynch TV, and he seems committed to the medium in recent interviews, calling TV the new art house.  Who knows when the film production machine will ever be able to start up again...

Beyond the initial nostalgia-based disappointment, which I got over quickly, my few disappointments I had with The Return were musical.

One was the fair lack of new music.  Badalamenti only composed a few pieces for the entire 18-hour thing.  Accident/Farewell Theme, The Fireman, Night, Heartbreaking, and Dark Space Low.  I had originally thought that The Chair was a newly composed piece for The Return, but read recently that it was actually composed for a Lynch stage project about Nikola Tesla.

The other was that Julee Cruise came back, but only lip-synced a song from the original series.  Given the context at the end of Part 17, it made sense, but man I would have loved to hear one more Lynch/Badalamenti/Cruise track.  The Rebekah Del Rio "No Stars" was fine consolation, though.

38 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Well, that was quite a season of television, eh?

It swings wildly (for a time) between fair to middling, right? With a handful of crushingly wonderful moments interspersed amongst the... extravagance. I believe Peter Jackson detractors also call it "bloat".

Lynch should have been forced [by Showtime] to stick to his original 9 episode mini series plan. That would have been the sort of eminently watchable tight I like. As it stands, the original first series remains the definitive kooky Twin Peaks experience.

3 hours ago, mstrox said:

The other was that Julee Cruise came back, but only lip-synced a song from the original series.  Given the context at the end of Part 17, it made sense, but man I would have loved to hear one more Lynch/Badalamenti/Cruise track.  The Rebekah Del Rio "No Stars" was fine consolation, though.

And it sounds awful on the CD soundtrack. Brickwalled to hell. Is that song available anywhere else other than the 2017 song compilation?

34 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

And it sounds awful on the CD soundtrack. Brickwalled to hell. Is that song available anywhere else other than the 2017 song compilation?

It’s on the Julie Cruise album Floating Into the Night, which includes all the other songs she did for the series as well as a handful more.  All were written by Lynch and Badalamenti.  Of the non-Peaks songs, I love Floating and I Float Alone most.

There’s a second album by the trio, The Voice of Love, which includes the song or two from Fire Walk With Me.  I like the album a little less, but it’s still pretty great.

Not sure if the mastering is any different between the FITN version or the version on the Return disc.

Interestingly, Julee Cruise is one of at least three cast members to have a public falling out with Lynch over The Return.  After the show aired, for months she railed on social media about his song choice, about his use of a section where she felt she hit the wrong note, etc.

A lot of it was deleted, but here are some residual posts.

9761FE3B-D662-447F-BEAE-D6710AE4065F.png

7026D0B1-31A7-40F3-91EE-2EBAE88CC73E.png

The other two were Michael J. Anderson (replaced with a talking brain tree) and Sherilyn Fenn (whose role was rewritten due to her unhappiness with the original).  Lara Flynn Boyle also apparently turned down The Return due to the nature of her role, which was then cut down significantly and given to Alicia Witt, who appeared in two episodes as Donna’s sister.

I’m sure much of the show was reworked based on the casting. Bowie, for instance, probably would have had a bigger role had he survived long enough into production. Sherif Truman also probably having been cut down to almost nothing. 

On 11/14/2019 at 8:33 AM, Quintus said:

What in the holy mother of fuck?

I dare someone to all of watch this!

On 11/28/2019 at 11:57 PM, fommes said:

I watched all of that video. It's pretty impressive.

On 1/12/2020 at 5:09 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

TWIN PEAKS was never meant to be "solved". It was always meant to be marveled at, and savoured.

On 1/12/2020 at 6:39 AM, SnowyVernalSpringEternal said:

I agree, people who think its a mystery box show are misguided.

I'm afraid to even watch 10 minutes of this 5 hour video: such a high-rated video gives me spoilerphobia from a series I've already seen :blush2:

Life choices. What is the morally right choice?

L2KaEeu.jpg

MyVOgJv.jpg?1

It is true that the initial impetus for getting through the show was piecing through the puzzle. But eventually I became a learned man.

I watched the video. It certainly makes sense of some things but I don’t like the general idea that it’s convinced of: that The Return is more or less a spite season for Lynch being forced to solve Laura Palmer’s murder, and that the entire series is one giant meta.