TWIN PEAKS

Romão

Seinfeld, Schmeinfeld....for me, he will always be Arthur on King of Queens -- one of the greatest sit com characters of all time. Stiller sr. was one of my comedian favourites. :(

As a series, perhaps (although I love both dearly). But in terms of Jerry Stiller characters, there is no competition. Arthur all the way! (his role in SEINFELD was so tiny to begin with).

8 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I mean Jerry Stiller was the same character in both shows. 

More or less, yes, but he had far greater space and opportunity to do his schtick in KOQ. It's a more rounded character.

• 2 months later...
On 5/10/2020 at 12:19 PM, Koray Savas said:

I watched the video. It certainly makes sense of some things but I don’t like the general idea that it’s convinced of: that The Return is more or less a spite season for Lynch being forced to solve Laura Palmer’s murder, and that the entire series is one giant meta. 

I decided to finally watch the TP Explained 5 hour video(s). I think it makes perfect sense. Especially as it utilizes the scientific method for coming up with the best answer, knowing Lynch, it's a pretty darn good one. The video also becomes much more effective if you watch the whole thing. It wasn't implying The Return was a spite season. I believe the big ideas Lynch utilizes aren't personal, it's his hands-on work that's personal. So I think he was completing the whole vision with The Return, but that vision needed time to realize. It was almost pre-planned, a continuous observation.

I'd already seen all TP episodes, I thought for the last time, but the video has given interest in the show again.

image.png

I'm into season 2, I laughed so much at the beginning of episode 1! LOL

Do you recommend me to watch the movie, after,  or to go directly to season 3?

Definitely watch the Fire Walk With Me movie after finishing season 2. Just make sure you watch the actual movie, and not the deleted scenes compilation. That may sound obvious, but a prominent JWFanner actually did that, then came into this thread and complained that the movie was aimless :p

Anyways, The Rerun is almost more of a continuation of the movie than the original show. Certainly in tone, but also it references a ton of things specific to the movie. 

Oh, and don't expect the movie to be any good, it's actually pretty bad. But seeing it makes The Return better. 

It also makes sense to watch the Missing Pieces after the film before starting S3, because the series references some things that were mostly cut from the film and feature more prominently in the deleted scenes assembly.

In retrospect, I think Fire Walk With Me is more enjoyable than The Return. But really, I also think there's a lot of value in keeping the enigma of Laura Palmer (specifically her final night) just that. So I'd say an argument exists not to watch Fire Walk With Me at all.

I kinda agree with Quint.

I think if you want to watch The Return, you should watch Fire Walk With Me before you do.

But if you don't want to watch The Return, then don't watch Fire Walk With Me either.  It does take away something from the magic of the original show.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I loved the first session, sleeped the 2nd session and the movie.

I will wait a bit before watching the sequel series.

Sleep Walk With Me.

Over the last few weeks, pieces have been falling into place for a new David Lynch/Netflix project code-named Unrecorded Night or Wisteria.

If this is TP, it would jive with all the rumors and hints from cast of more Twin Peaks from last year, which certainly would have gotten slowed by the pandemic.  Either way, I’m excited to watch whatever it is Lynch will come up with.

Whatever it is, Mark Frost has indicated on Twitter that he’s not involved.  That doesn’t necessarily rule out TP for me, since Frost wasn’t involved with FWWM and I’m certain that The Return barely resembled whatever Frost saw when he was co-writing that project.

I definitely think if Frost had been involved beyond drafting the script, it would have felt more like Twin Peaks (1990-1991).  I loved The Return for what it was though.  Without Frost in any capacity, this could have the capacity to be an even uglier piece, like Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, or Inland Empire.  Not a complaint, although at what point is it just worth it to throw away the Twin Peaks DNA and just yell a new story?

20 hours ago, mstrox said:

I’m certain that The Return barely resembled whatever Frost saw when he was co-writing that project.

How do we know this?

None really.  He's a journeyman writer/producer.  He's got an interest in the mystic/supernatural and conspiracy of late, but his storytelling instincts have always seemed very straightforward and procedural.  Turns out he was just the right guy to ground David Lynch back in the day, though - and he steered the ship without Lynch for large swaths of the original series, for better or worse.

True - the Red Room dream in the pilot movie/third episode would be all Lynch, but the mythology that was built around it (the Lodges and their connection to the native culture, etc) are clearly Frost - which makes sense, as those stories came about while Lynch was checked out.

Here is a neat compilation of what a variety of Twin Peaks writers had to say about the very preliminary plans for season 3 (1991). 

http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3281&start=15#p60785

It would have resolved the Cooper storyline quickly, involving Sheriff Truman and Mike driving backwards through a field of corn and into the Black Lodge (??), and then faded to black, "ten years later," and basically rebooted everything with Cooper being the local pharmacist.  An interesting what-if, although I have to say that I am very happy that the series stopped when it did.  So much of my love for the series came from the exemplary Lynch finale episode, and the decades of theorizing and making sense of everything.

I know Lynch has said himself that it’s hard to say who came up with what. The Return ended so wonderfully, I don’t think we need a continuation of Twin Peaks, especially since a lot of the original cast has passed away. 

1 minute ago, Thor said:

True, but I still want to see what Sheriff Truman is up to. The absence of Ontkean was particularly felt -- and he's not even dead!

If he wouldn’t come back for The Return, I can’t imagine he would for a new project. 

22 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

If he wouldn’t come back for The Return, I can’t imagine he would for a new project. 

I know. Still miss him.

I liked Forster as Truman 2 in The Return, but honestly, it didn't make a lot of sense.  Shoulda just made Hawk the sheriff - would have given him more to do.

I didn't even think about all the people (major role actors) we've lost since The Return filmed. 

Legacy characters:  Warren Frost (Doc Hayward), Miguel Ferrer (Albert), Catherine Coulson (Log Lady), Peggy Lipton (Norma), Harry Dean Stanton (Carl Rodd)

The Return additions:  Clark Middleton (Charlie/Audrey's husband), Robert Forster (Truman 2).