Beautiful Soundtrack

Cantus Venti

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any latent cheesiness is actually consistent with the plot, ie. the dog's weak performance. That was part of his condition and moreover his original personality. I think the music makes the scenery really come alive, that ethereal shadowy wilderness, have to watch it over a few times. Great idea putting the whistle in the main melody.

That was some really stunning music, it reminded me of Goldsmith at his most sweepingly optimistic. But it did seem like huge overkill scoring for that particular movie.

What John Scott cues/scores would you guys recommend to a newcomer? I'd love a few links if it's as good as this!

That was some really stunning music, it reminded me of Goldsmith at his most sweepingly optimistic. But it did seem like huge overkill scoring for that particular movie. What John Scott cues/scores would you guys recommend to a newcomer? I'd love a few links if it's as good as this!

I'd start with GREYSTOKE: THE LEGEND OF TARZAN, LORD OF THE APES then move to ones like ANTHONY AND CLEOPATRA, KING KONG LIVES and THE FINAL COUNTDOWN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4n21vNQWWg

A bit of trivia for you -- Scott played the alto sax on John Barry's GOLDFINGER.

Wow, that Greystoke music stirred long faded memories of my childhood. Used to love that film as a kid, and, as it turns out, its music. I'd completely forgotten about it. This Scott guy is pretty damn splendid ain't he! What happened to him?

Another difference between the two (which I like) is unlike beautiful Barry, Scott apparently loved his wet recordings. Really, really wet. Sounds like it was recorded in a fucking monastery.

Another difference between the two (which I like) is unlike beautiful Barry, Scott apparently loved his wet recordings. Really, really wet. Sounds like it was recorded in a fucking monastery.

Barry's recordings got much wetter by the early 90s. DANCES WITH WOLVES is sonically is a world apart from THE BLACK HOLE, which are both a world apart from MARY, QUEEN OF SCOTS (which is really, really, really dry).

Some more Scott.

John Scott is in my top 10 film composers

. What John Scott cues/scores would you guys recommend to a newcomer? I'

My most noteworthy ones are:

The Final Countdown

King Kong Lives

Greystoke

The Swiss Family Robinson

People that Time Forgot

Shergar

20000 leagues under the sea

John Scott has written some great documentary music too, this for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4t4cU0ya_c

He is a good friend of fellow composer and Incanus favourite Christopher Gunning and was in the audience for Gunning's concert with Nigel Hess at London's Cadogan Hall a year or so ago. The People That Time Forgot (worth watching for the music, some gloriously ropy dinosaurs and Sarah Douglas looking rather fetching before she played nothing but villains) and Antony and Cleopatra are my John Scott favourites.