Star Wars is better than everything

Jay

Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca) has over 1200 never-before-seen candid Star Wars pictures and he's started posting them on twitter. Check it out!

http://www.avclub.com/article/chewbacca-posted-a-bunch-of-candid-star-wars-set-p-106923

640.jpg

• 1 year later...

Well, he was in a pretty bad accident and was lucky to even survive. Some people claimed they didn't even recognize him when they first saw him in ESB.

What proof do we have it was recorded in a theater in 1977?

Listen to the sound mix, and see if you hear any alterations from the 1997-2011 releases, and then you have proof it is not from any of those releases at least.

The guy could have just recorded it at home with a VHS copy of the film.

He would have to make sure there was no VHS tape warp (though "normal" tape warp would be there, unfortunately), dropouts etc.

Several tape recordings have surfaced actually:

side1.jpg

These people must have walked out pretty disappointed and were probably thinking about how much better it would look with more advanced special effects from the future.

I thought the same thing when I saw the film in 1997.

So in 1977, someone went undetected into a theater with one of these bad boys and no one noticed?

4381168237_dd283b8335.jpg

They probably thought he was Darth Vader and had just detached his breast plate.

So in 1977, someone went undetected into a theater with one of these bad boys and no one noticed?

4381168237_dd283b8335.jpg

I did it countless times between 1978 and 1991, the machine conveniently hidden in a plastic bag. And no, no one ever noticed or seemed to care :)

• 1 month later...

Original Star Wars script discovered in UNB library

UNB Saint John librarian Kristian Brown found the script when digitizing the library's sci-fi collection

By Matthew Bingley, CBC News Posted: Jun 08, 2015 6:52 AM AT Last Updated: Jun 08, 2015 1:29 PM AT

harrison-ford-han-solo-star-wars.jpg

Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill are shown in a scene from Star Wars. A shooting script from the 1977 film was discovered at the University of New Brunswick in Saint John. (20th Century-Fox Film Corporation/Associated Press)

close.gif
Deep in the archives of the University of New Brunswick's library in Saint John, a famous movie script sat forgotten and collecting dust. It tells the tales of a galaxy far, far away — and no one knows how it got there.

Since February, Kristian Brown, a librarian, has been sifting through the library's extensive science fiction collection.

With a big interest in the sci-fi genre, Brown was tasked to digitize the university's collection of zines, pulp magazines and novels.

Just as Brown was coming to the end of his contract, he came across what appears to be an original shooting script for Star Wars.

kristian-brown.jpg

Kristian Brown, a librarian, came across what appears to be an original shooting script for Star Wars when he was digitizing the university's science fiction collection of zines, pulp magazines and novels. (Elke Semerad/CBC)

"I was just looking actually for something else entirely and then I just found this unique looking item," Brown said.

At the time, Brown said he wasn't quite sure exactly what he had stumbled upon.

The script is bound in blue paper, emblazoned with official Lucasfilm Industries stamps.

The date of the fourth edition revised script, is March 15, 1976, which is well ahead of the film's 1977 theatrical release date.

Brown is less concerned about its monetary value, as he is of its worth as a piece of pop-culture treasure.

"No matter how many new things are made, it all basically came from this first thing. And it's just good to look back at the origins of the entire thing and not forget, you know, what came first," he said.

Major differences

Aside from the Lucasfilm stamps, the titles also bear a curious look at how Star Wars evolved as it was written and distributed.

The first difference that pops-out, is the name of one of the most recognized characters in recent film history.

"The character's name is different" says Brown while leafing through other omitted ideas in the revised script.

"The protagonist's name is listed Luke Starkiller instead of Luke Skywalker."

'I'd love to know its journey and how it ended up here.'
- Chris Duffield, Star Wars fan

The script is also characterized as "Saga I" while the film would later be retitled as "Episode IV: A New Hope" after it became a box office success and spawned several sequels and prequels. Sections of the script showcase characters written differently than they appear on screen, not to mention scenes that were cut entirely.

For Brown, the biggest thrill was reading how an original scene featuring Harrison Ford was meant to be.

When Lucasfilm re-released the films in 1997, the special edition altered a scene where Han Solo is met by a bounty hunter.

In the original, Solo fires at the alien, killing it without warning. The 1997 version changed the scene to make Solo look as if he was acting in self-defence. A change which incensed fans.

"I'll tell you one thing, right now," Brown gleefully points out.

"Based on the script, I can tell you 100 per cent, Han shot first."

star-wars-script.jpg

The Star Wars shooting script contained many differences from what moviegoers saw when the film was released in 1977. (Elke Semerad/CBC)

Mystery appearance

At local comic book store Heroes Beacon, new editions of Star Wars comics have been a hot selling item. With excitement about a new movie, the comics usually sell out within days of going on the shelves.

The store's Star Wars buff Chris Duffield has read other earlier versions of the script and is interested to see some of the differences in the fourth draft.

"I'm not convinced the original script would have got a sequel," he said.

"It probably would have been the bomb that George Lucas thought it was going to be."

But Duffield is curious how the university got its hands on the script.

"I'd love to know its journey and how it ended up here," he said.

That remains a bit of a mystery.

As far as Brown can determine, it was acquired by a previous librarian in the 1990s.

"Among the many acquisitions that were made in that period, I think that this is the kind of thing that would have been earmarked as a significant find," Brown said.

Despite being a significant item, it was forgotten over the years.

Now that it has been found, the university has plans to put it on display along with other rare items in its collection.

Source : http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/original-star-wars-script-discovered-in-unb-library-1.3104206

• 5 weeks later...

Yesterday I saw some unused and unfinished scenes from the Prequels on youtube. Apparently Lucas threw away several really terrible comedy relief scenes. I couldn't believe how silly they were. If you thought The Prequels were bad, check out the scenes that didn't make it into the movie! Believe me, guys, the new Star wars is going to better without even trying.

Alex

If you read Rinzler's "The Making of Star Wars," which is a very thorough history, you'll probably feel by the end of it that the original Star Wars would have been just as bad as the prequels if time/money/technology could have kept up with Lucas' ideas. Lots of bad ideas, lots of "too much." I used to chalk it up to Lucas' revisionist history ("I always wanted it to be that way, but didn't have the time and money" was the big talking point around the Special Editions), but it's all there. These are archival interviews from 1975, 1976, 1977. Lucas wasn't looking back and saying, "I wish I'd done this, this and this." His prequel-style instincts were there even then.

The original Star Wars is very much a product of its limited resources, and that resource limitation was its savior. The sequels were good because they followed suit.

• 2 weeks later...