Star Wars is better than everything

Jay

I just got around to watching this and it is so incredibly funny. Wow. 

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Particularly when random swear words get thrown in. E.g."R2, are you is f------?"

Actually, now that I think about it, my favorite line might have been the one where Palpatine talks about the Presbyterian Church. ROTFLMAO

Watching the highlights again. It's funny how lots of the talking is like in The BFG - "I is mad" or whatever, with "is" used improperly. 

"They want you to know him at f---" 

"You are already at full c--- now"

ROTFLMAO

Even the title, "Backstroke of the West," made me laugh out loud randomly at school today, probably drawing me a strange look or two. 

1 hour ago, Will said:

Watching the highlights again. It's funny how lots of the talking is like in The BFG - "I is mad" or whatever, with "is" used improperly. 

"They want you to know him at f---" 

"You are already at full c--- now"

Those quotes do sound like something The BFG would say...

10 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Those quotes do sound like something The BFG would say...

Whoops, some post editing there may have made it seem like I was referring to those quotes when I talked about the BFG. :lol:

I wondered how long it would take for someone to be dumb and say it was the best version of Revenge of the Sith out there. 

Surprised it took so long. 

False facts about Star Wars you always thought were true

Mostly a completely pointless article (I gave up before finishing), but I thought this part was interesting

As far as most fans are concerned, Leia Organa is an absolutely beloved character and always has been. She's a take-charge, badass woman who rescues others as much as she gets rescued, and doesn't take crap from anybody. There's a reason that Leia's a feminist icon — even when she's put in a weird gold bikini to be an alien slug's slave, she ends up choking the actual life out of him.

Thing is, according to no less than Carrie Fisher herself, Leia being a beloved icon from Scene 1 on was not the case. In a 1983 interview with Rolling Stone magazine (the one with possibly the greatest cover of any publication in the galaxy), Fisher revealed that the writers struggled to make Leia easy to relate to. Because she had lost her planet and everyone on it, Fisher said "all she has is a cause" and that for the writers, the "only way they knew to make the character strong was to make her angry."

Therefore, the same strength that many fans love about Leia left a lot of early fans cold, and Fisher said they thought she was "some kind of space b****." According to her, Return of the Jedi involved very deliberate reinvention of her character, where she "gets to be more feminine, more supportive, more affectionate." (This would explain her more pronounced romance with Han, friendship with Ewoks, empathy with Luke, and so on.)

The ironic downside to softening her character, however, is that because these movies were presented as "basically boys' fantasies," the filmmakers felt they couldn't fully feminize Leia without having "her take off her clothes" — hence, the infamous gold bikini was born.

Discuss!

20 minutes ago, Romão said:

I really hope they do the other episodes, I adore this stuff

I did a quick Google Translate to Chinese and back on a memorable scene from the script. Not the funniest, but it is a bit amusing. I'm sure other scenes will be even better.

This detected PADME Anakin's looking at her.

PADME
... ... we have been lying on the beach,
Let's sunbathe us ... and try
Guess the name of the bird
Singing.

Anakin
I do not like sand. This is rough
And rough and irritating, and it
Become ubiquitous. Do not like here.
Here, everything is soft ... and
smooth...

I was her arm. PADME has become receptive to the way he looks at her, but tense.

"I was her arm" :lol:

On 1/18/2017 at 8:03 AM, Jay said:

False facts about Star Wars you always thought were true

Mostly a completely pointless article (I gave up before finishing), but I thought this part was interesting

Discuss!

Well, I will tell you as someone who remembers Star Wars before there was Star Wars that we all loved the characters.  True, I was just a kid of 5 years old but the banter between she and the main characters was very funny and engaging.  I specifically remember laughing along with the audience when she said "will somebody take this big walking carpet out of my way" and how unimpressed she was with the rescue.  The original audiences loved all the characters and their chemistry from the start.  It was immediately engaging and even for a young kid.  I was too young to find her sexy but loved her strong character.  I think one of the most perfect aspects of the film was the pacing.  It started slow and I felt bored during the droid intros.  By 1/3 I was invested.  After that it was a very steady increase of intensity that ended so perfectly. 

Right... but I was talking more about how they changed the way her character was written in TESB and ROTJ.

On 1/18/2017 at 8:02 PM, Romão said:

I really hope they do the other episodes, I adore this stuff

Technically all they did with ROTS was dub the dialogue from the old boot.

• 2 weeks later...

Some vintage art.

Canadian bilingual cards set from the Original Star Wars, just few are missing from the collection.

L’image contient peut-être : 1 personne

Damn I just bought the whole series in dvd last week...I hope this doesnt mean the disney plans to make a super ultimate collection.. (and release it in my country for the 1st time) because i got the 1-5 season box set in germany plus the 6th season that have not been released here (and it was cheaper...)

I just had a stunning realization.

Twice over the last couple weeks, the JoAnn Kane Music Service has posted photos of JW's original SW scores.

For instance:

Spoiler

Now, could this be evidence that they're working on something with the scores? Say, live to projection concerts?!

Oh, looks like they've also posted a photo from "Heidi" recently, saying it's a "current project." 

And I sure doubt that's going LTP. So the SW pics may not mean anything. 

Wonder what they're doing with Heidi? Preparing a suite for a concert or something?

EDIT: Oh, I knew they'd posted a SW one recently...

Of course, again, it does seem to be a bit of a habit of release pictures from a film's sessions at some random time years later, etc., or show some sheet and say "sight reading practice" or whatever, so who knows how often it's an actual current project. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yay!

'Empire's End' Novel Will Reveal What Happened to Jar Jar

I actually rather like the character. My sister and I always find him amusing when we watch the film, about as much as the OT droids. I hope they didn't give him a gruesome death or something to please the fans. 

Spoilers for Empire's End novel (takes place a little after ROTJ, I believe):

Spoiler

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-new-star-wars-aftermath-novel-reveals-the-pitiful-1792481018

In short, Jar-Jar essentially becomes a pitiful clown. :(

Star Wars Celebration Will Start With 40th Anniversary Tribute

http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-celebration-orlando-kicks-off-with-epic-tribute-to-sagas-40th-anniversary

The Star Wars 40th anniversary panel, hosted by Warwick Davis and set for Thursday, April 13, will feature Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy and discussions with some of the saga’s brightest stars. It promises to highlight the impact of the galaxy far, far away and the fandom that has propelled it for the last four decades; this marquee Celebration event will undoubtedly include many not-to-be-missed surprises. So set hyperspace coordinates accordingly…

Complete score release announcement? ;)

This is almost certainly fake (and also a year old), but it's still quite hilarious:

This one the guy readily admits is staged (or at least a mix of real and staged), but it's also quite funny:

Around the time the prequels were released, I remember reading a summary here of what Lucas's intention for the background was, you know, the explanations that we never got (how Anakin was conceived, why Sifo-Dyas started the Clone Army, some background for Palpatine's plan). Does anyone remember where this was posted? And what the source for this was?