Star Wars is better than everything

Jay

:(

‘Star Wars’ Stunt Coordinator Says George Lucas Cut Prequel Trilogy’s Best Lightsaber Fight

Yes, it was even better than Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon teaming up to defeat Darth Maul.

Asking “Star Wars” fans to name the best lightsaber fight in the franchise’s history would yield a handful of results (expect to see Darth Maul vs. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon from “The Phantom Menace” picked numerous times), but it appears there was at least one franchise-defining fight that never made it to theaters. In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, “Star Wars” stunt coordinator Nick Gillard reveals the best lightsaber fight of George Lucas’s prequel trilogy was cut out of “Revenge of the Sith” by the filmmaker himself.

The removed lightsaber fight took place in “Revenge of the Sith” when Obi-Wan (Ewan McGregor) is escaping from General Grievous and has to encounter a handful of the villain’s bodyguards. Each body guard is carrying a double-sided weapon with deadly electrical tips. Lucas’s original script had Obi-Wan fighting off the guards with his lightsaber. The scene was revised for the “Revenge of the Sith” theatrical cut so that Obi-Wan uses the Force to drop a container from the ceiling and crush the bodyguards before a lightsaber fight can happen.

Gillard tells Entertainment Weekly that Lucas’s original plan for Obi-Wan to face off against Grievous’s bodyguards was “the most complicated fight we ever did” on the prequel trilogy. Gillard added, “And then George said, ‘I’m really sorry, I’m going to drop a container on five of them!”

Gillard worked as a stunt coordinator throughout the making of Lucas’s “Star Wars” prequel trilogy. Choreographing lightsaber fights requires rehearsals, and the original Obi-Wan fight stayed in the “Revenge of the Sith” script long enough for Ewan McGregor to train for the scene for weeks. It turns out all that training was nothing. Gillard did not say why Lucas cut the fight scene, although it certainly saved the production some time. Shooting lightsaber battles can take weeks. 

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/12/star-wars-george-lucas-cut-prequel-trilogy-best-lightsaber-fight-1202196635/

Bummer. Williams' music for the fight would've been amazing.

I feel I should probably know the answer to this question, but I don’t, so…

In 2018, Disney ‘remastered’ the OSTs for episodes 1-6. I remember people were furious because TESB sounded absolutely horrible and I vaguely recall Jay saying that it was such a shame because this was the first time the LP program had been released in a format other than vinyl.

But yesterday I read on Wikipedia that the 2016 digital re-issue already contained that LP program. Is that true? If it is, why was everyone so furious when the 2018 remaster came out?

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I feel I should probably know the answer to this question, but I don’t, so…

In 2018, Disney ‘remastered’ the OSTs for episodes 1-6. I remember people were furious because TESB sounded absolutely horrible and I vaguely recall Jay saying that it was such a shame because this was the first time the LP program had been released in a format other than vinyl.

But yesterday I read on Wikipedia that the 2016 digital re-issue already contained that LP program. Is that true? If it is, why was everyone so furious when the 2018 remaster came out?

Some people refuse to buy digital, so this would have been a first for them, I guess!  I was planning on upgrading my digital version until I heard the feedback on this.

In 2016, as Sony was about to lose their license to release Star Wars scores, they "remastered" the OST albums for the original six scores.  However, they didn't have access to Lucasfilm's archives or anything, all they had was the existing album masters, so their remastering was simply putting polish on the already edited and mastered 1977, 1980, 1983, 1999, 2002, and 2005 album masters.  These were only released digitally, not on physical medium.

In 2017 when Disney Records took over the license, they immediately re-issued those under their own label.  Also only digitally, not on physical medium.

In 2018, Disney Records hired Shawn Murphy to delve into the Lucasfilm archives and rebuild the OST albums from fresh transfers of elements found.  However, it seems that the original trilogy ones weren't really total rebuilds at all, but still mostly just the old album masters, just with a horrible new sound.  For the prequel trilogy, he did rebuild them (well, he's not an editor, he's not the one who actually did the editing, he was just the guy in charge), and the result was a ton of wrong takes being used throughout all 3 albums.  These were released on physical CD as well as digital.

I certainly never said that the 2018 release of the Empire on CD was the first time that program had been available outside of the vinyl, because that would be a wrong and silly thing to say.  I said it was the first time it had been released on CD, which is true.  

• 3 weeks later...

So why is it that only the original unaltered '77 Main Titles syncs up to the picture? The opening blast is obvious but the first Luke's Theme statement starts right when the rest of the text starts crawling up and it's so satisfying! Why couldn't any of the others sync up, how hard could it be? Start the Episode bit at that same moment, start the rest of the text with the second statement! I was so disappointed that 9 messed it up too.

I'll never understand why all the digital crawls look so different, with sizing and timing differences. It's like all the virtual camera settings change from film to film, creating different distortions on the text. 

You'd think they just replace the text and hit render. 

59 minutes ago, crumbs said:

You'd think they just replace the text and hit render. 

They might run into some nasty word wrapping?

On 1/1/2020 at 10:08 AM, Holko said:

So why is it that only the original unaltered '77 Main Titles syncs up to the picture? The opening blast is obvious but the first Luke's Theme statement starts right when the rest of the text starts crawling up and it's so satisfying! Why couldn't any of the others sync up, how hard could it be? 

Which one do you mean exactly?

On 1/5/2020 at 12:18 PM, Holko said:

Don't know how trustworthy that is, but anyway

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Movie & TV Show Reportedly Happening

Lucasfilm is reportedly developing a new Knights of the Old Republic movie and TV show as they iron out the future of the Star Wars franchise.

A Star Wars movie and TV show about the Knights of the Old Republic is reportedly in development. This past December, Lucasfilm closed out the franchise's iconic Skywalker saga with Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, but that's hardly the last Star Wars film that will grace the big screen. While Disney is putting the Star Wars films on a short, self-imposed hiatus, they already have a trio of mystery projects scheduled for release in December 2022, 2024, and 2026. As the studio figures out their next course of action, there's obviously no shortage of rumors concerning Star Wars' future.

Most recently, word was the next Star Wars film saga would be set during the days of the High Republic, some 400 years prior to The Phantom Menace. Lending credence to that speculation was a High Republic name-drop in a Star Wars comic book, but if the latest reports are to be believed, Lucasfilm is looking much, much further into the past for their next slate of projects. And, it's an era fans have been yearning to see onscreen for a long time.

According to FandomWire, a Knights of the Old Republic movie and TV show are in development. From the sound of things, neither will be an adaptation of the fan-favorite video games, instead telling other stories set in that era (nearly 4,000 years before A New Hope). Screen Rant has reached out for comment and will update this space accordingly.

For some time, it's looked like the Old Republic is next on deck for Star Wars. Last April, Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy said the studio was working on some kind of project set in that era, but was rather vague on details. It appeared as if David Benioff & D.B. Weiss' film trilogy would bring the Old Republic to the multiplex, but that series is now defunct. Still, it isn't surprising Lucasfilm remains interested in this time period. It's an area of canon that hasn't truly been addressed in the Disney era (save for a few Easter eggs like the Darth Revan Sith trooper legion), providing creatives with plenty of untapped potential for a plethora of stories. That might explain why Lucasfilm is allegedly looking at a TV series (most likely for Disney+) to complement the feature film, allowing them to explore the Old Republic in greater detail and really flesh a narrative out.

It's interesting that this report mentions only one Knights of the Old Republic movie, as opposed to a trilogy or series. In the past, Kennedy's mentioned Lucasfilm may look beyond the traditional trilogy structure that's more or less defined Star Wars movies to this point and let the story dictate how things unfold. The Old Republic is certainly an expansive enough era to support multiple films and seasons of TV, but perhaps Lucasfilm feels it's smarter to take it one step at a time and see how audiences respond to these first projects - rather than fully committing themselves longterm to something that doesn't work. Hopefully by the time Star Wars Celebration rolls around this August, the studio will be ready to unveil their new movie slate.

https://screenrant.com/knights-old-republic-movie-tv-show-rumors/

Eh, it’s nothing, just the same wishful thinking from KOTOR fans which has been recirculating for years. I never saw anything from Disney even hinting at this, just a circle of “rumor” articles quoting each other, trying to make it a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Go on hiatus for a few years, sort out the people in charge, retire that Kennedy chick, and do movies people want to see. 

I mean, there's a good advice from this side of the pond: why don't you just make movies people want to fucking see? 

Nah. Think the High Republic thing is accurate. There’s been a few references to it in Star Wars media recently, it allows them to use an already known character (Yoda), and the upcoming mysterious Project Luminous would hint at a Yoda connection. 

Since more stuff is going to be made anyway, I would like to see more things not about the Jedi, Sith, force, lightsabers etc. It worked well for The Mandalorian despite some problematic (for me) inclusions. It's as if there's a mandate that everything Star Wars must feature that stuff. Even Rogue One had Darth Vader and a blind Jedi slapped into it. And Solo...Jesus H. Christ.

Lucas should just be like the Wachowski's and say 'Fuck it, I can do whatever I want!' and just make all these bizarre Star Wars films he had in mind. Seemed like it was going to go that way, but he became old and grumpy and bitter over the reaction to the Prequels.

There's a stiffness to the new trilogy, which is great if you want decent characters and writing (mostly), but there's no outlandish flair like the Prequels had on display. Weird planets and aliens and crumby dialogue. 

Lucas has stopped making films altogether, which I suppose is unfortunate. But then, it was his choice. Kind of wild that over fifty years he only made six feature films, especially when compared to the rest of his mates.