Star Wars is better than everything

Jay

Its hard to care about new Star Wars films not because of the composer, but simply because there shouldn't be any.

I mean, an ocassional, harmless spinoff like Rogue One is fine, but this seeming conveyor-belt of more and more movies? We already have twelve Star Wars feature films! Surely, at some point, enough's enough already.

I so wish Williams did a concert arrangement of the Emperor's Theme for Episode IX. Alas, it did not happen. But this is a pretty decent fan version.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone hear anything about some dispute the last couple weeks between YouTube and Denmark? I hadn't until just a few minutes ago when I realized that some of my Star Wars music is now being blocked in Denmark for some reason. :\

6 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Anyone hear anything about some dispute the last couple weeks between YouTube and Denmark? I hadn't until just a few minutes ago when I realized that some of my Star Wars music is now being blocked in Denmark for some reason. :\

The mouth Mouse™® must be fed.

I find it pretty impressive for an app. I can only Imagine how good it'll be in 5 years. This could revolutionize Hollywood, the game industry and U.S. politics. 

16 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

Imagine the awful damage a really convincing deepfaked video could do to a political candidate or a celebrity, considering how easily riled up the factions in our society get now.

Or how surveillance camera footage no longer can be used in court to lock up criminals. The defence lawyer only has to shout 'deepfake', your honour!

10 hours ago, AC1 said:

9 hours ago, AC1 said:

I find it pretty impressive for an app. I can only Imagine how good it'll be in 5 years. This could revolutionize Hollywood, the game industry and U.S. politics. 

@Quintus what do you think

The technology is fascinating and spooky all at once. There's obviously great potential for abuse. One thing that gives me hope is that AI's can sometimes detect deepfakery; my guess is that this will improve alongside the quality of the deepfakes themselves.

If you want to see how good you are at detecting deepfakes yourself, there's an interesting experiment you can try here, too: https://detectfakes.media.mit.edu/ (So far, I've been correct on all of them...some are pretty easy though.)

39 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Really? I don't think I've ever seen anyone do what you just did.

I don't understand what you are confused about.

Quint has shown an interest in deepfake videos, and discussing the technology

Example 1: https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19778-official-indiana-jones-5-thread/&do=findComment&comment=1647434

Example 2: https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/30722-deepfake-roundtable-discussion

Example 3: https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31186-random-youtuber-manages-superior-star-wars-special-effects-work-over-that-of-industrial-light-and-magic/

So, I tagged him, so that he might come into this thread and watch the video, and respond to comments posted about the technology. If I didn't tag him, he wouldn't be likely to see this video or this discussion, because he doesn't often post in Star Wars threads.

Do you understand now?

Seeing that clip, Harrison there, young and innocent, does nothing for the movie. It’s still a bad mess, with horrible story and direction and poor choice moments of Solo’s backstory (“What’s your name?” *CRINGE*)

Swapping out an actor (who delivered, mind you, the movie isbad of no fault of his) for a more beloved one can’t make this movie suck any less.

But I guess that’s marketing in a nutshell.

Come buy the new thing! It’s a turd! Hmmm... how do we get people to keep buying the turds? Come buy next new thing. A polished turd!

Yeah but the point of the video isn't to improve or comment on the quality of the film itself anyway. It's simply a technical demonstration. 

Quintus - forever amused at Alex's ignorant indignation. 

Replacing somebody's face with technology won't substitute the acting choices that a particular actor would have - just like Tarkin and Leia in Rogue One, the uncanniness of the valley has to do with more than just CGI.

3 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Replacing somebody's face with technology won't substitute the acting choices that a particular actor would have - just like Tarkin and Leia in Rogue One, the uncanniness of the valley has to do with more than just CGI.

Very true. The Solo example looks like Alden Ehrenreich performing after having received the world's most perfect face transplant from Harrison Ford. The features are Ford's, but the personality animating them is of course still Ehrenreich.

The really spooky stuff happens when you've got someone doing a spot-on impression of another person and then the face is switched out by AI. Under just the right conditions, those can be extremely convincing, especially for short clips.

I’m not suggesting that with a better script it would be high art, but even in the low arts genre, Solo can’t be considered more than serviceable.

And regarding the point of the video, I get it. But the question after the fact remains, when the technology exist - what do we do with it?

I just thought that that is an interesting subject to discuss rather than just the technical side.

So - for good or ill - I can totally see fans petitioning for a Harrison-cut of Solo #releasetgeharrisoncut. Maybe not Solo, perhaps, but you get my point.

I will take the opposite view. I like Solo well enough, despite its flaws, but when all is said and done, the one thing that makes it unmemorable and unworthy of a rewatch is Alden Ehrenreich. I'm sorry to say it, but he failed to channel the effortless coolness of Harrison Ford, and the movie called Solo stands or falls on the strength of the lead performance. Compare to Nathan Fillion in Firefly – see, it can be done. No deepfakes though, please, thank you. There agree.

8 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

I'm sorry to say it, but he failed to channel the effortless coolness of Harrison Ford

It's completely natural that a younger version of the character hasn't found his coolness yet.

48 minutes ago, rough cut said:

But the question after the fact remains, when the technology exist - what do we do with it?

Use it to make Indy 5 and have Ford appear as he was circa 1985 - 89. Use stunt doubles for the action scenes and leave the regular performance stuff to Ford. 

With ILM behind it it would totally work. But the ethical argument will never allow it, nor would Harrison's pride stomach it. Yet, nobody could change my mind that I believe it is technically 100% possible and that it'd be extremely effective. 

It's not even about getting an Indiana Jones sequel at this point (let the franchise rest); I'd simply be fascinated in seeing what a big FX house could do with deepfakes technology and a blockbuster budget behind them. 

They could make Cocoon the Return: The Return. Who doesn't want to see Hume and Jessica backflipping off diving boards again? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2020 at 11:52 AM, Quintus said:

Use it to make Indy 5 and have Ford appear as he was circa 1985 - 89. Use stunt doubles for the action scenes and leave the regular performance stuff to Ford. 

With ILM behind it it would totally work. But the ethical argument will never allow it, nor would Harrison's pride stomach it. Yet, nobody could change my mind that I believe it is technically 100% possible and that it'd be extremely effective. 

It's not even about getting an Indiana Jones sequel at this point (let the franchise rest); I'd simply be fascinated in seeing what a big FX house could do with deepfakes technology and a blockbuster budget behind them. 

They could make Cocoon the Return: The Return. Who doesn't want to see Hume and Jessica backflipping off diving boards again? 

Could be cool, but they'd never use the good Deepfake technology, they'd use the shitty ILM uncanny valley and we'd hate it.

John Boyega speaks out about his character's sidelinining in the Sequel Trilogy.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/09/john-boyega-slams-disney-failing-minority-characters-star-wars-1234584026/

“It’s so difficult to manoeuvre,” Boyega said. “You get yourself involved in projects and you’re not necessarily going to like everything. [But] what I would say to Disney is do not bring out a black character, market them to be much more important in the franchise than they are and then have them pushed to the side. It’s not good. I’ll say it straight up.”

“Like, you guys knew what to do with Daisy Ridley, you knew what to do with Adam Driver,” Boyega continued. “You knew what to do with these other people, but when it came to Kelly Marie Tran, when it came to John Boyega, you know fuck all. So what do you want me to say? What they want you to say is, ‘I enjoyed being a part of it. It was a great experience…’ Nah, nah, nah. I’ll take that deal when it’s a great experience. They gave all the nuance to Adam Driver, all the nuance to Daisy Ridley. Let’s be honest. Daisy knows this. Adam knows this. Everybody knows. I’m not exposing anything.”