Star Wars is better than everything

Jay

Oh didn't you know? Lucas didn't sell it for the money, he sold it to make "experimental films", you see...

Oh, what's that, Francis Ford? Lucas had sold his company in 2012 and now, eight years later, he still hadn't made such films? The same experimented he said he “soon make” since 1974?

You don't say...

On 12/20/2020 at 6:56 AM, Bespin said:

So this is Christmas soon... I'll begin a new SW marathon.

In This new order:

- A New Hope

- Rogue One

- Empire Strikes Back

- The Phantom Menace

- Attack of the Clones

- Revenge of the Sith

- Solo

- Return of The Jedi

My watching order:

- The Ewok Adventure

- The Battle for Endor

- Star Wars (4K77)

- The Empire Strikes Back (Harmy’s)

- “The Carbonite Caper” (first 30 min. of RotJ (Harmy’s)

- Return of the Jedi (remainder) (Harmy’s)

- The Force Awakens

7 minutes ago, Bespin said:

You wrote that for fun... I mean... nobody still watch those Ewok movies? Seriously?

It's fun to watch things ironically... that's why people still watch the Holiday Special!

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

Star Wars is not a matter for JOKES! IT'S SERIOUS!

It certainly tried to be since 1980.

Early press for Lucas' original film described it as a comedy!

2 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

It certainly tried to be since 1980.

Early press for Lucas' original film described it as a comedy!

The Original Trilogy is 70's.

And the Prequel trilogy is supposedly 30's.

Honestly, I never saw a movie from the 30's.

I'm sure I would not love it either.

49 minutes ago, Bespin said:

You wrote that for fun... I mean... nobody still watch those Ewok movies? Seriously?

We let our kids watch The Ewok Adventure when they are too small to watch Star Wars. We watch it with them and enjoy the crap out of it. The Battle for Endor is a lot more serious but also a lot less fun.

11 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

We let our kids watch The Ewok Adventure when they are too small to watch Star Wars.

Why watch the dry-run for Willow when you can just watch Willow?

6 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Was the story in the Disney Trilogy conceived before all 3 movies, or did they make it up as they go?

Is there any confirmation on this?

They made it up as they went along, at least for the most part. If you watch the BTS docs on the Blu-Ray sets you usually see JJ or Rian writing while filming. One of the first images we got of TFA was JJ and Larry Kasdan sitting on a set as it was being built while hard at work writing one of the drafts. Pretty much all they had up to that point was an unfinished first draft of the screenplay that was being written by Michael Arendt before he was let go. As for the other two films after that, they had nothing set in stone, and Rian was able to write whatever story he wanted to tell.

3 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

They made it up as they went along, at least for the most part. If you watch the BTS docs on the Blu-Ray sets you usually see JJ or Rian writing while filming. One of the first images we got of TFA was JJ and Larry Kasdan sitting on a set as it was being built while hard at work writing one of the drafts. Pretty much all they had up to that point was an unfinished first draft of the screenplay that was being written by Michael Arendt before he was let go. As for the other two films after that, they had nothing set in stone, and Rian was able to write whatever story he wanted to tell.

I figured.  It shows.  I'm of the mindset you get a better story/product with a smaller, core vision, especially from the start.

Why couldn't they have done that is my honest question/gripe.  I just don't understand that.

24 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Was the story in the Disney Trilogy conceived before all 3 movies, or did they make it up as they go?

The story of no Star Wars trilogy was conceived before all three movies.

How this isn’t readily apparent to people from watching these films - even without knowing anything about how they were written - is beyond me. It’s so bloody obvious.

41 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Is there any confirmation on this?

Well I think they started by the End: All The Skywakers must die, that's the only way to resolve all this shit about "The Chosen One".

Then, they... they smoked a big bat.

Marvel here in JWFan is as well liked as Hitler is by Jewish people, but they planned in advance all their story and how it would culminate in Infinity War/Endgame. The result was box office records, critical acclaim, lots of fans, etc.

Lucasfilm, on the other hand, decided as they just went along. The result was a narrative mess. They let Johnson do whatever he wanted, and when the fanboys didn't liked his choices, they just had to retcon everything as if nothing happened. Result? Shrinking box office, controversies, cast and crew dissatisfied and a trilogy that won't be as beloved and well remembered as the OT.

I hope that the relative failure of The Crap of Skywalker taught them a lesson.

You can do a great trilogy without any forethought. Even after The Last Jedi, there would have been no problem “landing” this trilogy reasonably well. Alas...

And Marvel planned ahead way less than they let on. A lot of the MCU is filmmakers building upon what came before, rather than the other way around. Whedon didn’t do the lift-the-hammer gag with Endgame in mind: it’s the writers of Endgame who went BACK and recalled it.

Fair enough. Marvel didn't had every single scene from IW/Endgame in mind when they started, but they did know where they were going. I believe since Phase 1 they knew Thanos would be the big boss and the story would converge to him.

And yeah, if TROS had been a solid movie, the lack of planning wouldn't have been this big problem. Their problem was when they were so scaried with TLJ's poor reception amongst the fanbase (or part of it) they panicked, tried to retcon everything and the result was a terrible movie that nobody liked.

This could've been avoided if they had planned what they want to do since the beginning. Like Rey's parents, for instance. It should have been determined since the beginning that if their parents were just nobodies that sold her for booze or if she's related with another character. If they wanted to make her important since the beginning, then Kathleen Kennedy should have warned Rian Johnson, which wouldn't say her parents were nobodies.

Their lack of planning resulted in this trainwreck.

2 hours ago, Bellosh said:

Why didn't they though?

Quite simply, Bob Iger wanted the first of their new films out by no later than December of 2015, so they didn't have time to craft an overarching narrative like Marvel did. On top of that, what they did want to adopt from Marvel was releasing a new film every single year.

I unfortunately answered to a videogame thread, then I remembered I've known and played all these SW video games.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

The saga ended for me with The Phantom Menace on Nintendo. Strangely, I can't find any image on the web.

They erased this part of history it seems. Well, I can understand why!

@Manakin Skywalker

Ah, makes sense. The Mouse®™ strikes again.

A shame.  And no denying a trilogy can be decent without a core story arc (i do find these movies enjoyable to an extent)

I still can't believe the Emperor made it back.

Reminds me of the Key & Peele Gremlins 2 sketch.

9 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Reminds me of the Key & Peele Gremlins 2 sketch.

I don't think I've ever seen Gremlins 2, but isn't the Key & Peele sketch based on what actually happens in the second film? I recall that being the joke if I'm not mistaken.

8 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I don't think I've ever seen Gremlins 2, but isn't the Key & Peele sketch based on what actually happens in the second film? I recall that being the joke if I'm not mistaken.

lol yeah

some disney intern: "how about.....the emperor is alive, but like...on life support alive!"

IT'S IN THE MOVIE.

Rotten Tomatoes audience rankings ROTFLMAO

97% The Empire Strikes Back
96% Star Wars
95%
94% Return of the Jedi
93%
92% The Mandalorian, Season 1
91%
90%
89%
88%
87%
86% The Force Awakens; Rogue One; The Rise of Skywalker; The Mandalorian, Season 2
85%
84%
83%
82%
81%
80%
79%
78%
77%
76%
75%
74%
73%
72%
71%
70%
69%
68%
67%
66% Revenge of the Sith
65%
64% Solo
63%
62%
61%
60%
59% The Phantom Menace
58%
57%
56% Attack of the Clones
55%
54%
53%
52%
51% The Battle for Endor
50%
49%
48%
47%
46%
45%
44% The Ewok Adventure
43%
42% The Last Jedi
41%
40%
39%
38%
37%
36%
35%
34%
33%
32%
31%
30%
29%
28%
27%
26%
25%
24%
23%
22%
21%
20%
19% The Holiday Special

Message to the Direction:

"Can we create a Star Wars Thread for people who actually have been raised in the 70's and played with genuine first generation SW toys? Thanks, Bespin."

The answer:

- "Yes, we can, but you'll feel very lonely there Bespin!"

:o

37 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

Disney should never have caved in to the troglodytes who bashed TLJ and just gone ahead with the story that Trevorrow or whoever wrote.

Have you read Trevorrow's script? It reads better than The Rise of Skywalker, but still doesn't seem a very good movie by any means. The main difference that comes to mind is that Kylo Ren's absolution - which I'm categorically against - is even more ubrupt and unearned in that one.

The last time I watched Return of the Jedi (Special Edition) I thought you could not make such a movie today. People would never forgive Disney for it. The Jabba Muppet Show at the beginning, the joke with the fully clothed rebel barbeque on Endor and the humorous Ewok battle and making Leia Luke's sister. I mean, the whole emperor story and dialogues are great. But even that big scene where Vader saves Luke by killing the emperor was now destroyed afterwards by re-animating Palpatine in TROS.

It’s a child if it’s time. I don’t think you can take any movie out of it’s time in the manner you’re describing.

Also, not that much has changed, the most beloved character to come out of the Star Wars universe since R2D2 is a puppet - baby Yoda!

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

But even that big scene where Vader saves Luke by killing the emperor was now destroyed afterwards by re-animating Palpatine in TROS.

No, it was destroyed the moment a sequel trilogy of any kind was announced.

That it took people until The Rise of Skywalker to see that the sequel trilogy nullified what had come before it drives me nuts. That was all but guarenteed from the beginning of this project.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

No, it was destroyed the moment a sequel trilogy of any kind was announced.

That it took people until The Rise of Skywalker to see that the sequel trilogy nullified what had come before it drives me nuts. That was all but guarenteed from the beginning of this project.

You might be right. But everyone hoped that they would bring it in the end to some kind of reasonable conclusion and the sequels would make sense in the end. But they did more or less the exact opposite. 

I mean, there really would have been good opportunities for a sequel plot. But mich earlier. Luke's Jedi academy, Kira/Rey super talented, the chosen one, Ben Solo jealous because he comes from the big family. New republic struggling what to do with the remains of the empire including the army, evil senator aiming for a military coup, Ben Solo joining forces with them exploring the dark side, Leia dying in a coupist attack, Ben Solo falling to the dark side completely, Han in grief going to Kashyyyk, asking Chewie to Help hin save his son, Luke sacrificing himself in a fight to keep the chosen one, Kira/Rey, alive, Ben in search of the spirits of the old Sith lords, sacrificing bis soul to reanimate old Sith spirits inluding Sidious and Plagueis, Han getting killed by Ben, Kira/Rey defeating Ben with her last breath, republic winning over the coupists who give up, because big parts of old imperial army changing sides to the republic convinced by Lando. I think, something like that I would have liked to watch.

But no star killed base, no Palpatine clone out of nowhere, no Last battle with ordinary people in private ships, no magic daggers. 

So, in this version of the sequel trilogy, all the characters achieved over the previous three/six films is maybe twenty-five years of peace? And, in the ensuing struggle, which again involves dark-side Force users - the very foe they fought and thought they had vanquished - all the characters, now old and weary, meet their demise?

Yeah, I'd say it nullifies Return of the Jedi just as much as what we've got.

To a certain degree you must nullify the ultimate victory world peace ending, because otherwise it is hard to continue the story and span an overarching ark across all 9 films.

Then you could just have something like galaxy at peace, republic in re-build, other forces like Hutts or something trying to take over, republic against pirates, first challenge of the new Jedi as piece keepers, jedi arguing in how to do so. Some of them digging in history finding how the jedi betrayed the Sith in ancient times, fights between jedi, republic, Hutts, reanimation of the sith order, etc.

Would that make more sense?

8 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

To a certain degree you must nullify the ultimate victory world peace ending, because otherwise it is hard to continue the story and span an overarching ark across all 9 films.

which begs the question, why did we need a sequel trilogy to begin with? It exists because (1) Disney could make it (and they were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they stop to think if they should) and (2) because fans were blindly thirsty for "more".

8 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Then you could just have something like galaxy at peace, republic in re-build

Sounds boring.

A new republic is just not a good setting for an action-adventure film. Its what people disliked about the first two prequel films: that there was this peaceful republic, and the conflict was taking place at its fringes. It was uneventful. I don't necessarily mind that, but you can't do it following up from the classic trilogy.

22 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Its what people disliked about the first two prequel films: that there was this peaceful republic, and the conflict was taking place at its fringes

You suppose that's what people disliked about the prequels?

And the conflict in Mandalorian takes place on the fringes of the New Republic, and people love that.

The prequels have many, many problems, but I don't think the setting is one of them.  In fact I don't think I've ever seen a single person say "I don't like the prequels because they're set in a peaceful Republic and the conflict is too far away!"  I mean, the Republic stops being "peaceful" the first ten minutes into the first film.

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

The prequels have many, many problems, but I don't think the setting is one of them.  In fact I don't think I've ever seen a single person say "I don't like the prequels because they're set in a peaceful Republic and the conflict is too far away!"  I mean, the Republic stops being "peaceful" the first ten minutes into the first film.

People do dislike the politics, and its only there because of the period its set in.

I don't think setting the sequel trilogy IN the new republic would have been a good idea. Following up from Return of the Jedi, you need to at least match the intensity and stakes of the classic trilogy, which takes place in a world ravaged by war, as opposed to a peacetime republic...

33 minutes ago, crumbs said:

(or maybe he was just short a half-competent co-writer?)

Yeah. Why he picked Chris Terrio as co-writer I have no idea.

But I do think the time crunch is as much to blame as anything.