Star Wars is better than everything

Jay

I think what people seem to not understand about Anakin's turn was that he implicitly trusted Palpatine, who had been a father figure to him. So when the leader of the galaxy tells him how it is with promises of power that can save the love of his life and after planting the seeds of distrust, Anakin goes along with it.

17 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

But the execution is absolute rubbish.

With the main exception of the opening/closing energy doors scene of TPM that separated Obi and Qui-Gon. Visually and aurally very strong that scene is .... If they could maintain the level that high for 120 minutes then I will become a Star Wars fan again.

star-wars-the-phantom-menace-958_zpsip3g

Alex

The Darth Maul showdown I've seen quite a few times recently because my 3yr old boy loves it. It's rubbish really. Poorly shot and edited (zero peril and suspense), and with the ridiculously overchoreographed acrobatics it now feels unintentionally amusing, like a parody. I wasn't surprised to learn the other day that the Red Letter Media guy felt exactly the same. The force barrier moment is literally the only good thing about it. Because even the music beyond the moment the doors swing open to reveal a hooded Maul is a total mess in the way it is implemented. 

It's time to landfill the prequels. 

14 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Yes! That scene has a real excitement and energy to it.

For me it's the beauty of what I'm seeing, the silence and the tension. You feel the buildup towards a jedi that is going to die.

25 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I cant wait to revisit ROTS! The epic duel between good and evil, fought amidst pools of lava....on floating pods...

I'm far from an expert, but it's that something that would happen in video games?

Star Wars ones, yes. 

Yes, the sabre fights in the prequels are atrocious, they always have been.

The only one I like and the only one that I feel belongs to the SW universe is Qui-Gon's first encounter with Maul.

I think so many things about the scene work, unfortunately it's an almost isolated incident.

5685196d972fb_QG-DM.thumb.jpg.2ad3e121e8

5 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

With the main exception of the opening/closing energy doors scene of TPM that separated Obi and Qui-Gon. Visually and aurally very strong that scene is .... If they could maintain the level that high for 120 minutes then I will become a Star Wars fan again.

star-wars-the-phantom-menace-958_zpsip3g

Alex

It annoys me that nothing is said. They just stand there.

Well, Koray agrees with you, E.T. and Elliot. I guess you guys are lost when movies do their talking with images and music, huh? I suppose it's true, we all want different things from movies, all of us.

To play devil's advocate, Best shouldn't feel too bad these days about his efforts going to waste. Somewhere along the way 17 years of mockery turned Jar Jar into one of the most quoted and imitated characters in all of Star Wars. He's really the only prequel actor who can say he created a pop culture icon. I'm guessing he meets his share of people every year who tell him fuck the haters and kids do love the damn thing, so hell with it.