Star Wars is better than everything

Jay

4 hours ago, Jay said:

One slight difference: For Episode IV, it should have said "The Rebellion falters" instead.

I like the Yoda-speak on that last sentence.

Her parents don't have to be dead. She was abandoned on Tatooine II to grow up alone. That essentially orphaned her. 

At least Luke was raised by real family. His father didn't come back into his life until he was almost twenty. 

TNT and TBS are the only home on basic cable for all 11 films in the Star Wars saga.

(11 films because they have rights to Episodes 1-9, Rogue One, and the Han Solo spinoff)

When I was a kid they'd run on USA all the time!  I remember once, they actual did a special Letterbox showing, and it was great!  Around college or thereabouts, seemed like Spike TV picks up the rights and had them for years

I was a bit surprised to hear that Freeform (nee ABC Family) didn't get this - partially because Disney is their parent company, and partially because that network seemed to enjoy huge success with marathoning the Harry Potter movies, so this seems right up the network's viewers' alleys.

Yes I too found it strange that Disney would sell rights to 7-9 and the spinoffs of Turner, instead of having them solely are on Disney owned channels like The Disney Channel (and associated channels), Freeform, and the A&E group of channels they co-own with Hearst.  I guess this must have netted them more money

16 hours ago, mstrox said:

I was a bit surprised to hear that Freeform (nee ABC Family) didn't get this - partially because Disney is their parent company, and partially because that network seemed to enjoy huge success with marathoning the Harry Potter movies, so this seems right up the network's viewers' alleys.

NBC Universal actually bought the TV/digital rights to Harry Potter last month, which will go into effect in 2018

The end of that article also did mention Disney had been shopping around the Star Wars rights at the end. Wonder what the strategy is with all this.

Disney isn't legally allowed to just sell it to themselves for a song - there has to be bidding, etc.  The same thing was an issue with cable broadcast rights to The Simpsons.  Turner, NBC, etc were all bidding - although in the end Fox was able to sell them to its own FX.

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/09/bob-iger-confirms-plans-for-star-wars-films-past-2021/

On 9/14/2016 at 9:46 AM, Jay said:

TNT and TBS are the only home on basic cable for all 11 films in the Star Wars saga.

(11 films because they have rights to Episodes 1-9, Rogue One, and the Han Solo spinoff)

When I was a kid they'd run on USA all the time!  I remember once, they actual did a special Letterbox showing, and it was great!  Around college or thereabouts, seemed like Spike TV picks up the rights and had them for years

Shoot, I'm a little late on this, apparently the marathon started on the 20th. I need to record these!

Yay, I was able to record AOTC and ROTJ, the only two I haven't seen this year (I saw every one for the first time last year). (Well they are set to record, they haven't shown yet.)

• 3 weeks later...

This Duracell commercial features "Attack on Jakku Village" and "I Can Fly Anything" including Poe's theme :P

Dumb little bit of non-news but with more and more Star Wars promos featuring trailerized music, it's always nice to see they haven't totally forgotten what's good.

EDIT: Ha, I see Will already posted this in the R1 thread. Don't mind me.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so I finally saw the light, realised that Star Wars isn't all that bad and that the only mistake I made was watching the original trilogy first.

I'm considering to buy the DVDs of episodes 1-6 (will wait for the 7-9 box), but am wondering which version I should take. My only requirement is spectacular sound. Extra's don't matter that much and I couldn't care less who shoots first. Thoughts?

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

So the restored/remastered audio isn't good?

He basically ignored your "I don't care who shot first" part of the post.

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Okay, so I finally saw the light, realised that Star Wars isn't all that bad and that the only mistake I made was watching the original trilogy first.

I'm considering to buy the DVDs of episodes 1-6 (will wait for the 7-9 box), but am wondering which version I should take. My only requirement is spectacular sound. Extra's don't matter that much and I couldn't care less who shoots first. Thoughts?

If you care about sound, get the blu rays of course because they have lossless audio. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

None of those are the best examples with the exception of Last Crusade. My favorite is in Temple of Doom:

temple_doom_movie_screencaps_com_11195.j

"Short Round! Quit foolin' around with that kid! Get down in the cart NOW!"

• 3 weeks later...

Pablo Hidalgo has poured cold water on the 4K remaster of Star Wars being the unaltered original cut. It's yet another George Lucas revision.

4k-a-new-hope-unaltered-theatrical.jpgubi

Got to wonder what the politics are on this. Did George retain final cut of the existing films when he sold Lucasfilm? Why did the 4K remaster take 5 years to be completed if Lucas supervised the scan in 2012? If nothing else, they must have done every 1997 visual effects shot from scratch (the low-resolution would be glaringly obvious against freshly scanned 4K non-effects shots), plus they must have re-scanned and re-composited all the original optical effects shots again, to remove the matte lines.

If nothing else, it will still be a huge improvement over the awful 1080p 2004 restorations that Lowry did. Excessive noise reduction, over sharpened, static grain artifacts, ghost motion artifacts and an amateurish colour grade slapped on top.

As far as I'm concerned, all the changes to the 2004 DVD versions are fine by me.

With the sole exception of the lightsaber colours looking quite terrible.

White and green for a blue saber? And pink for Darth Vader's saber? Seriously?!?

Somewhat related, did the engines of the X-wings always glow pink as opposed to red?

I always assumed that was another glaring colour error, but that seems to have become canon now as they're pink outside the films these days as well.

And even though I never saw the original unaltered films, I've got to say I do prefer the idea of "Han shot first".

So if they fix the colours properly and put that back in, that's the most important stuff covered in my book.

On 1/3/2017 at 5:22 AM, Romão said:

Thanks for sharing. I watched three seconds of it and then decided it would be better to wait until I was alone and could roll around laughing.