Star Wars is better than everything

Jay

Not that I watched any TV content from this franchise (or indeed ever will) but let me get this straight: they're doing a spinoff series off of a spinoff series?

Yeah, it's fine. A spin-off (Bad Batch) of a spin-off (TCW) of a spin-off (prequel trilogy).  They do it all the time - the SW comics and books spin off characters into their own comics, books, etc, and cross-pollenate with the animation and film media.

47 minutes ago, Jay said:

That is Chen G's logic

Not quite.

I tend to distinguish between direct sequels, direct prequels (which are both direct in the sense that they form one continuous storyline) and spinoffs (which are asides, so to speak), and I'm generally fine with all three.

But a spinoff of a spinoff? That's when I start feeling someone's sucking a property dry.

Some franchises are like that. They're anthologies, like James Bond. Some aren't: they're cycles (or "sagas") which tell one story across multiple entries.

Obviously its not binary. The MCU is an anthology, but has quite a few cyclical threads running through its disparate entries, and Star Wars is a cycle, but its entries are relatively standalone AND it has anthological entries like The Clone Wars or Rogue One that do somehow fit into the cycle. You can think of them as episodes 2.5 and 3.5 and you wouldn't be too far off.

But when you get into stuff like Solo or a spinoff TV show of a spinoff TV show, that's where it starts to get too anthological for my tastes. I much prefer cycles to anthologies.

8 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Not that I watched any TV content from this franchise (or indeed ever will) but let me get this straight: they're doing a spinoff series off of a spinoff series?

The Clone Wars 2: Rise of a Warrior

About the galaxy map...there was an old eu map that made much more sense... In the new one...there are so many "important" planets from the clone wars (many long battles fought there mon cala, ryloth...) that are completely far out in the outer rim...

And mon calamari were an important species its another far planet... Tattooine is not in hutt space?

Lothal is so important for the empire in rebels...yet another far rim planet...

And definately as noted...tattoine is not in the way from naboo to cosruscant...

The best SW maps I’ve seen are from a 00s fan site by “Modi”. Unfortunately, all his maps were hosted on ImageShack, and no longer exist there. Luckily, they hired him to work on The Essential Atlas. But the maps on the site were more pleasant and usable than the ones in the book, IMO:

modi.jpg

The locations of Naboo and Tatooine go back to the very first official map, from the 1998 “Behind the Magic” software.

behind the magic.jpg

15 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

the very first official map, from the 1998 “Behind the Magic” software.

Huh, a few of the names on that map don't appear in the films, to the best of my memory. Makes you wonder of George Lucas had one or two of those in mind as would-be locations for Episode II and III back in 1998.

Well, let’s see. 

STAR WARS
Tatooine
Alderaan
Dantooine
Corellia (implied)
Kessel
Yavin

HOLIDAY SPECIAL
Kashyyyk

EMPIRE
Hoth
Ord Mantell
Dagobah
Bespin

JEDI
Endor
Mon Calamari (implied)

HEIR TO THE EMPIRE
Coruscant
Kashyyyk (confirmed)

DARK EMPIRE
Nal Hutta and its moon Nar Shaddaa

Mon Calamari (shown)

PHANTOM MENACE
Naboo
Coruscant (confirmed)

So I think what’s happening is that the OT really doesn’t name very many planets, so when you see something like Ord Mantell, it’s just that they are scraping the bottom of the barrel to find a familiar name and make the Galaxy seem a little more thought out. Then they further buffed it out with including obvious if “EU” homeworlds for the major species like the Hutts, Mon Calamari, and Wookiees.

But I also don’t think it’s a stretch to imagine that someone wanted to show Tatooine in the influence of the Hutts ahead of TPM, or that George planned to use Kashyyyk in the PT, probably more than he did.

They had a recent release where a Hayden appearance would have made a ton of sense, and this ain't it.

I watched the last four episodes of TCW this week, and holy moly did I love it!  Among the best of the best from that series! 

19 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

Then they further buffed it out with including obvious if “EU” homeworlds for the major species like the Hutts, Mon Calamari, and Wookiees.

But I also don’t think it’s a stretch to imagine that someone wanted to show Tatooine in the influence of the Hutts ahead of TPM, or that George planned to use Kashyyyk in the PT, probably more than he did.

Its those EU planets that I didn't recognize and so thought Lucas might have had in mind. Kashyyyk is also a very probable candidate.

I could imagine a version of the projected storyline for the prequel trilogy in 1998 where Shmi is carried off not to the desert on her planet, but to a nearby planet, and that Hutt planet on the map could have done the trick in Lucas' mind. I doubt it went any deeper than that kind of thinking, though.

On 7/14/2020 at 2:41 AM, Luke Skywalker said:

tattoine is not in the way from naboo to cosruscant...

How could it be if it's in the Outer Rim and Naboo isn't?  It was near Naboo, not between Naboo and Coruscant. 

1 hour ago, Demodex said:

How could it be if it's in the Outer Rim and Naboo isn't?  It was near Naboo, not between Naboo and Coruscant. 

But they were on their way to Coruscant, and had to make an emergency stop on a nearby planet (which ended up being Tatooine). So logically speaking, Tatooine should have been between Naboo and Coruscant.

2 minutes ago, Demodex said:

I'm too tired to argue, but it's impossible for Tatooine to be between them. 

I'm not saying it's impossible (considering Naboo apparently isn't in the outer rim). But the point is that it should have been between Naboo and Coruscant in order to make sense for the film. Even if that means Naboo should be rewritten to be in the outer rim.

If they couldn't make the jump to hyperspace after escaping the blockade then they probably just went to the nearest planet.  It didn't have to be between them and Coruscant.

5 minutes ago, Demodex said:

If they couldn't make the jump to hyperspace after escaping the blockade then they probably just went to the nearest planet.  It didn't have to be between them and Coruscant.

Possibly. But Tatooine certainly isn't the nearest planet; in fact it's quite far out of the way.

1 hour ago, Demodex said:

They wanted to get away from the Trade Federation. As Qui Gon  implies, Tatooine is controlled by the Hutts, and out of the Federation's jurisdiction.

Remember; they needed to hide.

Either that, or the force directed them there.

That someone drew a map - either 20 years before or 20 years after the movie was made - and that the movie 100 % doesn’t adhere to that map, is hardly a make-it-or-break-it moment for a movie as flawed as TPM.

On 7/15/2020 at 3:53 AM, Pellaeon said:

STAR WARS

Tatooine
Alderaan
Dantooine
Corellia (implied)
Kessel
Yavin

JEDI
Endor
Mon Calamari (implied)

At the beginning of both STAR WARS, and RETURN OF THE JEDI, there are two planets seen. Does anyone know what these are called?

On 7/13/2020 at 8:35 PM, Chen G. said:

Perhaps the Bad Batch series is more a sequel to The Clone Wars?

After all, those actual wars ended with Order 66; but that doesn't have to mean that story suddenly stops.

Rebels is both a spin-off of the movies and a sequel to The Clone Wars too.

But there's plenty of space (hehe) between the end of TCW and the start of Rebels.

6 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

At the beginning of both STAR WARS, and RETURN OF THE JEDI, there are two planets seen. Does anyone know what these are called?

Tatooine and Endor.

On 7/14/2020 at 9:53 PM, Pellaeon said:

JEDI

Endor
Mon Calamari (implied)

Sullust, not Mon Calamari.

42 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Tatooine and Endor.

Very funny (!).

There are two planets visible behind the star destroyers, in the second shot of ROTJ, and there are two planets visible in the opening shot of SW.

Does anyone know what these are called?

47 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Very funny (!).

There are two planets visible behind the star destroyers, in the second shot of ROTJ, and there are two planets visible in the opening shot of SW.

Does anyone know what these are called?

According to Wookieepedia, the moons of Tatooine are Ghomrassen, Guermessa, and Chenini (the first two are in the opening shot of ANH, all three appear in the night shots in AOTC).

As for Endor, the small red moon has never been named. I found some threads of people arguing what it could be, most people agreeing it probably wasn't the planet Endor.

The new Star Wars trilogy will begin in 2023:

UNTITLED STAR WARS (Disney) previously dated on 12/16/22 moves to 12/22/23

UNTITLED STAR WARS (Disney) previously dated on 12/20/24 moves to 12/19/25

UNTITLED STAR WARS (Disney) previously dated on 12/18/26 moves to 12/17/27

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/07/disney-release-calendar-changes-mulan-french-dispatch-star-wars-avatar-1234575953/

There's no reason to assume that's a trilogy of films.  It could be three separate productions

IE the Kevin Feige film, the Taika Waititi film, the Old Republic film, the High republic film, the first of the Rian Johnson trilogy, etc.   They have at least 5 different films in development right now and haven't said which will be produced first

Maybe, yeah. Of all the in development Star Wars movies, the only ones announced as a trilogy were Rian Johnson's, and I don't see that happening. 

In any case, it's hard to care about new SW movies now without Williams involved.

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

In any case, it's hard to care about new SW movies now without Williams involved.

I disagree. I liked Rogue One and I loved Solo. The movies and the scores. 

Unlike you guys I see movies for the film, not the score.