Star Wars is better than everything

Jay

I think it's telling that Disney of all companies has not attempted legal action against these very popular "fan cuts" of the original trilogy in their almost 5 years of owning Star Wars.  I guess they're ok with the status quo.

Unless there's a lawsuit I'm not aware of.

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

They keep teasing some "big surprises" at the 40th anniversary panel at Star Wars Celebration.  Since I'm assuming the TLJ trailer will be saved for the TLJ panel, and any Han Solo or new anthology announcements will be saved for the Future Films panel, I'm going with the assumption that we'll see an announcement of 1) unaltered edition Blu-rays, 2) 3D Blu-rays of the OT/PT, or 3) 4K ultra HD releases of the original 6.

I'm guessing that, of those at least, the last two, particularly the third, are most likely.

I don't think Pablo Hidalgo would have risked his credibility by denying the unaltered release that if that news was true. Could be wrong, though. Strikes me as a little like the Plagueis thing, where every time someone asked him they'd take his denial as evidence that Snoke was Plagueis and he was hiding it. And then someone else would ask him. 

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I think it's telling that Disney of all companies has not attempted legal action against these very popular "fan cuts" of the original trilogy in their almost 5 years of owning Star Wars.  I guess they're ok with the status quo.

Unless there's a lawsuit I'm not aware of.

I doubt their existence has any impact on sales and I would guess downloads were only a fraction of a fraction of what official releases sell. 

Saying that, if they did plan on releasing those versions you bet they'd have sent a cease and desist to all of those fan sites.

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Babel really isn't all that good. I didn't understand how they would suddenly start talking under bottle in matress remote. Drill-bit to fair wall weather soloing!

I didn't say "good". But I laughed out loud several times before it turned even halfway serious. ;)

The same thing happened again reading the above forum posts.

So thanks for some glorious entertainment, gents! :D

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Isn't 3D all but dead when it comes to the home video market?

My experience buying a new TV a few weeks back confirms that.

There's a fun 3D TV at my parents' place and I kind of wanted one too.

But there aren't any decent ones to be found anymore, so back to regular TV it is....

TV manufacturers have stopped releasing new 3D TV's. The focus is now on pushing 4K and that curved screen bullshit. 3D home cinema is all but dead on the hardware end.

http://www.starwars.com/news/rey-ahsoka-tano-and-more-iconic-heroes-to-star-in-new-star-wars-forces-of-destiny-animated-micro-series

New animated shorts series (to be incorporated into two half hour specials), and product lines inspired by the bad-ass women of Star Wars.

If Dr. Aphra and Rae Sloane don't also pop up, I'll be peevish.

Disney was already getting their Star Wars money - I've seen who shops in the Star Wars aisle at Target.  I'm happy to see a new line that isn't just "realistic Hasbro action figures in a different size/pose" though. 

The cartoon promises to bring together characters who haven't previously interacted, though, which is exciting to me.  And Jyn could easily run across a Hera/Sabine/Ashoka in her earlier days - or even a Leia if they focus on her days with Saw Gerrera in the Alliance.   One such mention in the press release is a post-ROTJ Leia/Hera/Han story.

I'm not following the Celebration stuff live, so do please continue posting the major announcements here please!

The cartoon shorts look like they could be a lot of fun.  Glad they're free on Youtube.

I will- I'm not watching, but I'm refreshing Twitter every 5-10 min while I work just to see what's good.

Looks like George showed up for the 40th Anniversary panel.  He is wearing a checked shirt, but I'm not sure whether it's flannel.  I'll keep you all updated.

Panel hosted by Wicket W. Warwick Davis.  Dave Filoni came out to talk to Warwick and Lucas about Star Wars on TV.  Apparently the prequels were represented by video greetings from Liam Neeson and Samuel L. Jackson, and then Hayden Christensen showed up onstage.  Moved on to the OT, so Billy Dee, Peter Chewie Mayhew, Anthony Daniels, and Mark Hamill are all sitting in now.  Apparently nothing newsworthy at this point, just general reminiscence and chitchat.

There's still empty room on the couch.  Smart money's on Harrison showing up.

Yeah, Ford is there

Hate how replies are merged here

As if the Emperor needed even more exposition, McDiarmid will personally announce the next SW standalone film: a Palpatine spinoff movie!

The Fisher In Memoriam montage was very well done.  I think I saw a shot of her on the VIII set with Johnson?

Hey John Williams is in Orlando!!!!

Williams is conducting Leia's Theme in Orlando RIGHT NOW