Star Wars is better than everything

Jay

13 hours ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

V is great. So is Generations.

I thought this was a Dennis McCarthy thing.  Then I realized V = 5.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we already know about six of them officially:  Johnson's trilogy, the Game of Thrones guys' "series," which I take to mean more than two.  And one unofficially:  Mangold's Booba Foot movie.   And one even less officially - the nebulous rumor of an Obi-Wan movie or trilogy.

Given the long preproduction cycle, and the one-a-year schedule they seem to be keeping, I have no doubt that they have a ton of stuff in the works in various capacities. They were working on Rogue One, Solo, and Episode VIII in one capacity or another even while TFA was shooting.

18 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Well, we already know about six of them officially:  Johnson's trilogy, the Game of Thrones guys' "series," which I take to mean more than two.  And one unofficially:  Mangold's Booba Foot movie.   And one even less officially - the nebulous rumor of an Obi-Wan movie or trilogy.

Given the long preproduction cycle, and the one-a-year schedule they seem to be keeping, I have no doubt that they have a ton of stuff in the works in various capacities. They were working on Rogue One, Solo, and Episode VIII in one capacity or another even while TFA was shooting.

Didn't you forget Ep. IX? ;)

I'm quite sure at least 2 or 3 of these 9 are just in the "exploring concepts" phase.

The Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones

The Clone Wars (TV)

Revenge of the Sith

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Solo 2*

Kenobi: A Star Wars Story*

Fett: A Star Wars Story*

Lando: A Star Wars Story*

Ackbar: A Star Wars Story++

Rogue One

Rebels (TV)

Star Wars

The Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

Resistance (TV)

Favreau Series (TV)

The Force Awakens

The Last Jedi

The Last One

Rian Johnson Trilogy

Beinoff/Weiss Trilogy

*-predicted/projected

++ hopeful

I read an interesting idea of what a Fett film should be: an action-filled fun romp where he never takes off his helmet and barely talks. A bit like Max in Fury Road.

4 minutes ago, Holko said:

I read an interesting idea of what a Fett film should be: an action-filled fun romp where he never takes off his helmet and barely talks. A bit like Max in Fury Road.

That's would be the only plausible one. Him taking off his helmet would only bring back the prequels in my mind. I feel like if they just made a Solo trilogy, they can incorporate Maul and Fett into the Solo story without having to make totally separate movies. A Cad Bane cameo would be lovely too. 

11 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Solo 2*

After Solo's disastrous box office performance, I wouldn't count on it.

It's a bummer, because I mostly liked Solo, and it left plenty of room for a potentially even more interesting follow-up.

True. 

There just wasn't enough "in-the-middle" Star Wars fans (heck even general movie goers) that wanted to see it. Only the few who did, and although they liked it, they weren't enough to make it money. Disney may go for it though, just in December from now on.

21 minutes ago, Jerry said:

The Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones

The Clone Wars (TV)

Revenge of the Sith

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Solo 2*

Kenobi: A Star Wars Story*

Fett: A Star Wars Story*

Lando: A Star Wars Story*

Ackbar: A Star Wars Story++

Rogue One

Rebels (TV)

Star Wars

The Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

Resistance (TV)

Favreau Series (TV)

The Force Awakens

The Last Jedi

The Last One

Rian Johnson Trilogy

Beinoff/Weiss Trilogy

*-predicted/projected

++ hopeful

I understand Rebels is before Rogue One.

I am guessing/hoping the upcoming projects go something like this:

Return of the Jedi

Favreau Series (TV)

Beinoff/Weiss Trilogy

[time break]

Resistance (TV)

The Force Awakens

The Last Jedi

The Last One

Rian Johnson Trilogy

Oh thank goodness. Now we only need Rian's trilogy and the GoT guys' movies to take place far, far away from the Skywalker storyline either in time or space. They'll be more refreshing and simpler to ignore if terrible.

I forgot about it pretty soon afterward and just focused on the score, but at the time of viewing I enjoyed it a bit more than the other Disney Star Wars jamborees. It's acceptable fluff. It's like one of those 90's action movies that'd come with an autopilot Goldsmith score (instead of a kickass Powell score).

I really liked Solo.  I didn't really need a "Han Solo origin story" but I'm totally OK with any Han Solo movies they feel like giving me.  I'm sorry that it is now Star Wars' first official "bomb".

It's wise of Disney to focus on IX and forget about the standalone films for the time being.  Kenobi and Fett centered films may have suffered the same fate as Solo.  

I'm wondering if Disney will also rethink the non-Skywalker trilogies they have planned...

On a positive note, it seems likely Billy Dee Williams will be in IX.  Abrams shouldn't have excluded him from TFA in the first place.

The original TIEs (Imperial, not First Order) were designed to be cheap and disposible, to defeat via overwhelming numbers. They didn't even have atmosphere generators, hence the TIE Pilot masks.

For the rebels, an all-purpose craft was much more useful, X-wings could be used for assault, recon or personal transportation.

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

The original TIEs (Imperial, not First Order) were designed to be cheap and disposible, to defeat via overwhelming numbers. They didn't even have atmosphere generators, hence the TIE Pilot masks.

Why'd they decide to make them more advanced and user friendly under the First Order?

Because the First Order was not THE galaxy-encompassing force, but a hidden group on the fringes of the galaxy who had to be more smart with their resources, be they monetary or human?

1 hour ago, someonefun124 said:

I'm wondering if Disney will also rethink the non-Skywalker trilogies they have planned...

On a positive note, it seems likely Billy Dee Williams will be in IX.  Abrams shouldn't have excluded him from TFA in the first place.

That's actually what I'm worried about.

I think that, in a multi-installment story such as that of Star Wars, there's great drama to be wrung from the finality of the last entry. Until recently, I was quite optimistic that IX would be the conclusive ending, seeing as no-one in Disney ever so much as mentioned more episodes, their brand of Star Wars being dependant on the notion that "George Lucas always intended for nine episodes". More importantly still - due to Rogue One's good commercial performance, it seemed plausible that, post-IX and without the original cast, spinoffs could be just as profitable as the main episodes, making them not care to bother with making new ones.

Now, with Solo bombing, it may lead Disney to stick to more episodes, which to my mind is unfortunate - nine being more than enough for me.

1 hour ago, someonefun124 said:

Meh.

I never understood the need to revisit Lando. This trilogy isn't a high-school reunion.

Maybe the ST shouldn't have been a reunion but it has become that.  The OT characters (Luke, Leia, Han) have played a huge part in the ST so far.  Therefore, it's puzzling why Lando hasn't even been mentioned yet in ST considering his importance in the OT.  They wanted Wedge to make a cameo but not Lando?  My guess is they originally thought Billy Dee was too old.

8 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

it's puzzling why Lando hasn't even been mentioned yet in ST considering his importance in the OT

Because he's just an anchilary character?

Now, along with Chewbacca, R2 and 3PO (the latter two, but maybe even all 3 only being furniture in the two sequels we have so far) , he's the only remaining main cast member. He'll be the perfect guy to kill off this time! I'd realy love to see some Lando/Chewie bonding and shenanigans.