Star Wars is better than everything

Jay

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't know what fans were thinking before, but this is worse? At any rate, this is pretty much exactly what I expected, given the fact that we knew Lucas had provided outlines and we knew they deviated from the outlines and we knew that Lucas was unhappy with TFA.  Interesting to hear kind of the social faux pas Iger made by ambushing Lucas with the news when they weren't in private.

3 minutes ago, Modest Expectations said:

but they didn't know he was tricked into selling Disney scripts, where it was all about preventing him from publishing them online and fueling some sort of canon divide---likely much more serious than the New Canon---EU split.

That's a very interesting read of the fairly benign statements!

On 9/25/2019 at 4:16 PM, Sweeping Strings said:

Lucas probably decided his opinion on Force Awakens would be negative as soon as he heard they weren't using his ideas. 

I really like The Force Awakens for the strength of its execution, but I couldn’t blame Lucas for disliking its unoriginality.

Lucas’ concept for the sequel trilogy (formed as he was about to sell Lucasfilm) sounds horrible, though.

Just now, Chen G. said:

I really like The Force Awakens for the strength of its execution, but I couldn’t blame Lucas for disliking its unoriginality.

Lucas’ concept for the sequel trilogy sounds horrible, though.

What was his concept? I've heard how there were some parts that wound up used in Disney's trilogy but apart from that, I've not heard anything else about it.

I see that Force Awakens, Rogue One and Last Jedi recouped the 4 billion Disney bought Lucasfilm for between them. Safe to assume Rise Of Skywalker will add another couple of billion to that, then there's the proposed Episodes 10 - 12.

Guess they can afford that hit they took with Solo :lol: .     

3 hours ago, Gistech said:

What was his concept? I've heard how there were some parts that wound up used in Disney's trilogy but apart from that, I've not heard anything else about it.

George hasn't talked too much about his ideas, but he did say that at least a portion of the trilogy was to be dedicated to exploring the Whills and Midichlorians. No, that is not a joke, he actually said that. 

Pablo Hidalgo has also confirmed a handful of things from George's script that were either completely discarded or had already been adapted for TFA and TLJ. For instance, he mentioned a girl named Kira alone on a sand planet who would become a Jedi (obviously Rey), an "Imperial" named Skylar who would turn good (Finn), and the "Jedi Killer" (Kylo Ren) who in some versions of George's outline was meant to be Han and Leia's son, and in at least one version was not.

• 2 weeks later...

To try to improve the mediocre / disastrous performances of Star Wars movies in China, Disney will release about 40 SW novels in Chinese, including one by a popular Chinese novelist known only as His Majesty the King. No plot details, but it'll be an “authentic ‘Star Wars’ story with Chinese characteristics”.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/10/disney-save-star-wars-box-office-china-books-1202183400/

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

To try to improve the mediocre / disastrous performances of Star Wars movies in China, Disney will release about 40 SW novels in Chinese, including one by a popular Chinese novelist known only as His Majesty the King. No plot details, but it'll be an “authentic ‘Star Wars’ story with Chinese characteristics”.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/10/disney-save-star-wars-box-office-china-books-1202183400/

tenor.gif

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I had to read that article to make sure you weren't joking.

8 hours ago, Modest Expectations said:

"Chinese characteristics"? As in: "state censorship-sanctioned virtues"?

Who will the heroes be? Trade Federation droids?

Luke Skywalker will be President Xi, and Darth Vader will be Winnie the Pooh!

Fun fact: when Attack of the Clones was released here, they had to change the name of Count Dooku, who is known here as Count Dookan. The reason is that the word "Dooku" would be subject of a lot of innuendos and silly jokes involving anal sex. No one would be able to take the character seriously.

Captain Panaka also had his name changed to Captain Panás. In portuguese, "panaca" means "idiot", "stupid", "moron", you got the idea.

And that's not even mentioning Sifo Dias (as in "se fodia",or something like "he got fucked" ).

2 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Fun fact: when Attack of the Clones was released here, they had to change the name of Count Dooku, who is known here as Count Dookan. The reason is that the word "Dooku" would be subject of a lot of innuendos and silly jokes involving anal sex. No one would be able to take the character seriously.

They should have changed the name in the English version too