Star Wars is better than everything

Jay

Beats me, I'm sure they have reasons for doing what they do, I was just idly speculating why they'd choose April 2nd over May the 4th

52 minutes ago, Jay said:

Beats me, I'm sure they have reasons for doing what they do, I was just idly speculating why they'd choose April 2nd over May the 4th

Maybe because they have Bad Batch coming then? Who knows?

Eh. SW nerds make too huge a deal outta that "May the 4th" crap. It's just a calendar date. Just release shit when you can.

And who knows, I might be dead sometime in late April to early May. So might as well release it as early as possible so I at least have a chance at seeing it.

Eh, it’s the official ‘Star Wars Day’ so it makes sense to save something big for that day. It’s just significant to the franchise, like an anniversary date. Traditions have been born out of far more arbitrary things than just a pun

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rotten Tomatoes posted this on their official Facebook page this week

May be a cartoon of 13 people and text

https://www.facebook.com/rottentomatoes/posts/10159114716297357

Kinda funny they used the 1997 re-release poster for SW but the original posters for all the rest

55 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Lol, so 8 out of 10 critics found Revenge of the Sith to be a good movie.

Yeah, that's mindboggling. It and AotC are a good 30% higher than they should be!

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Lol, so 8 out of 10 critics found Revenge of the Sith to be a good movie. I guess I stand with the 20% of critics that disliked it.

6 minutes ago, Holko said:

Yeah, that's mindboggling. It and AotC are a good 30% higher than they should be!

Where's the downvote button when you need it

On 5/7/2021 at 8:54 AM, Jay said:

Rotten Tomatoes posted this on their official Facebook page this week

May be a cartoon of 13 people and text

https://www.facebook.com/rottentomatoes/posts/10159114716297357

Kinda funny they used the 1997 re-release poster for SW but the original posters for all the rest

I think they only used the Special Edition poster for ANH. Those are the original posters for Empire and Jedi(I have copies for the SE posters, and the art for Jedi has Luke and Vader crossing blades but it’s clearly from Empire). So even weirder than that is they used only the SE poster for ANH and the originals for all the rest.

8B8ED10C-4014-4883-AF70-B7A19C6F8BEF.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I agree with Ewan McGregor

Ewan McGregor: CGI Yoda in ‘Star Wars’ Prequels Was ‘Not Nearly as Endearing’ as Puppet

"It didn’t feel like Yoda to me anymore," McGregor said of the character transitioning from puppet to CGI.

My dad several times when I was growing up: "I never liked TPM puppet, he looks like chewing gum".

Just now, Brando said:

My dad several times when I was growing up: "I never liked TPM puppet, he looks like chewing gum".

I feel like there was room enough between that puppet and the CGI for something not like either of them.

3 minutes ago, blondheim said:

I feel like there was room enough between that puppet and the CGI for something not like either of them.

Personally, I don't mind CGI Yoda since what George was wanting him to do was more physical than the OT(fighting and jumping around), but they probably could've done a blend of both.

6 minutes ago, Brando said:

Personally, I don't mind CGI Yoda since what George was wanting him to do was more physical than the OT(fighting and jumping around), but they probably could've done a blend of both.

And see I'd rather Yoda not ever have done all that.

When I was in the theatre in 2002 and Yoda whipped out his lightsaber and then threw himself through the air like a spider monkey, people laughed. Rollicked with laughter. I get that it is no big deal really but to a kid who had grown up with Star Wars, who couldn't have wanted a movie in the world more than the one he was watching right then, it was like a punch to the gut. Imo, Yoda should only be laughed at when he is tricking Luke into thinking he is incompetent, maybe some sharp wit. He definitely shouldn't be grunting and snarling like that. I felt like I was in a videogame battle.

I've come to peace with this creative decision in order to continue as a Star Wars fan, but it is more resignation really.

CGI Yoda making acrobatics like a gymnast vs. Christopher Lee is probably one of the funniest fight scenes ever filmed.

It's one of the reasons the prequels work best as an involuntary comedy.

56 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

CGI Yoda making acrobatics like a gymnast vs. Christopher Lee is probably one of the funniest fight scenes ever filmed.

It's one of the reasons the prequels work best as an involuntary comedy.

The only thing worse was Yoda fighting the Emperor. They took the scariest dude ever and made him even worse of a joke than Yoda.

6 hours ago, blondheim said:

I've come to peace with this creative decision in order to continue as a Star Wars fan,

Not being a fan of the shit ones is an option too, you know.

As much as it pains me, I'd take CG Yoda over whatever the hell the TPM puppet's supposed to be.

4 minutes ago, Holko said:

Not being a fan of the shit ones is an option too, you know.

As much as it pains me, I'd take CG Yoda over whatever the hell the TPM puppet's supposed to be.

I'm not a 'fan' of the shit ones but I can't help but accept that is the way it happened. I can hate Attack of the Clones all I want, and I do hate it. But when other material references it, I have to recognize it exists, unfortunately. The Clones War show does a lot for fixing the problems with the prequels. That doesn't justify them being terrible films but it's what I cling to.

For example, Yoda's fighting is much more restrained. He is often a guerilla fighter in the show, which seems much more his style. These aren't landmark decisions but it's effort and I'd rather have it than not have it. Bless Dave Filoni and all he does. Although if I am being completely honest, I'd rather just live in a world where 1999 went differently.

9 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

The only thing worse was Yoda fighting the Emperor. They took the scariest dude ever and made him even worse of a joke than Yoda.

Meh, that's better than the concurrent fight between Anakin and Obi-Wan: its shorter and comes across as less of a dance number.

7 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Meh, that's better than the concurrent fight between Anakin and Obi-Wan: its shorter and comes across as less of a dance number.

Ian McDiarmid being absolutely dreadful at sword fighting doesn't help.  

Much like others have said, I always imagined that the top Force users like Yoda or Palpatine were above using lightsabers and instead had different things they could do.  Palpatine had the lightning which was good, but it felt like it was only a part of his arsenal.  To see both reduced to simple CGI lightsaber battles rather than something really creative just shows how much Lucas ran out of ideas by that point.  Still really regret someone like Dave Filoni didn't come around sooner and bring some real creativity and ideas to the prequels. 

• 5 weeks later...

Brian De Palma says the myth is wrong (the myth that wants you to believe that only Spielberg liked SW during an early viewing) and that he thought it was terrific.

Hopefully this puts your mind at rest.

https://www.ign.com/articles/brian-de-palma-loved-star-wars-terrific-original-spielberg

Not only that, he recalls that "We all saw it as a terrific thing that George had done." I remember reading somewhere else that Coppola was also very positive.

George Lucas (and his various hagiographers) really wants to give the original film an aura of "the little engine that could". For sure, it was an ambitious, risky project - and I don't think at any point Lucas imagined it would be quite as succesful as it became - but both the studios, Lucas himsef and his friends were much more optimistic about it than Lucas lets on. Even the studios that had turned the film down had, without exception, noted that its "a very commercial" endeavor, they just doubted (not unjustly) "Mr Lucas' ability to pull it off."

It also wasn't quite as Herculean as Lucas depicts it; at least, not initially: When Lucas started work, he was relying on the fact that Fox had a special effects department, which would have made that aspect of the movie much less challenging. It was dissolved at some point during development, forcing him to par-down the effects shots and to start ILM. The "used" design aesthetic also emerged during this time: they didn't have the resources to make things look polished, unlike on The Empire Strikes Back.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Dude Dune had a whole sequence set around a giant butthole in the middle of the desert

Fixed.

Dune Director Says His Sandworm Is 'Godlike' and Has a Soul

31 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

A giant butthole WITH TEETH, no less. 

Dune is a fascinating book. I highly recommend it. It is one of the densest books I've ever read. The man had tons of ideas. Ignore the mild homophobia (unfortunately common in the 80s) and you have yourself quite a writer and quite a book.

21 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Anyone else think that Lucas doesn't get enough credit for how demented Return of the Jedi is?  Dude had a whole sequence set around a giant butthole in the middle of the desert and as a kid I was just like "Obviously."

Jabba the Hutt and C3po | Star wars facts, Star wars characters, Star wars  droids

"Oh, dear. His High Exaltedness, the great Jabba the Hutt, has decreed that you are to be terminated immediately.

You will therefore be taken to the Dune Sea and cast into the Butthole of Carkoon, the nesting place of the all-powerful Sarlacc.

In his anus, you will find a new definition of pain and suffering, as you are slowly digested over a thousand years."

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/19/2018 at 9:51 AM, Holko said:

I read an interesting idea of what a Fett film should be: an action-filled fun romp where he never takes off his helmet and barely talks. A bit like Max in Fury Road.

I'm going through old posts. How proud of yourself are you for this piece of insight a year and half before The Mandalorian? Has it already been pointed out that you predicted this?