Star Wars is better than everything

Jay

They killed Han Solo. They killed Luke Skywalker. And they don’t have Princess Leia anymore. And they’re spitting out movies every year. And they think it’s important to appeal to a woman’s audience, so now their main character is this female, who’s supposed to have Jedi powers, but we don’t know how she got Jedi powers, or who she is. 

Han's death is a solid story beat. Works terrifically well, actually. Dunno what she's on about.

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Han's death is a solid story beat. Works terrifically well, actually. Dunno what she's on about.

This story is suddenly everywhere. Can anyone tell if it's true? I mean it's a fanboy dream of a quote. 

She doesn't seem to take any recognition about the fact that Ford was clawing his way out of the part. 

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

‘Star Wars’ Editor Marcia Lucas Slams Kathleen Kennedy and J.J. Abrams: ‘They Don’t Have a Clue’

Marcia Lucas was "furious" when she saw Han Solo and Luke Skywalker killed in Disney's "Star Wars" trilogy.

Wasn't it her idea to kill of Ben Kenobi and George was even hesitant to do so at first?

14 hours ago, Edmilson said:

‘Star Wars’ Editor Marcia Lucas Slams Kathleen Kennedy and J.J. Abrams: ‘They Don’t Have a Clue’

Marcia Lucas was "furious" when she saw Han Solo and Luke Skywalker killed in Disney's "Star Wars" trilogy.

Both death makes sense to me from a narrative point of view. IMHO the goof part of continuing Star Wars without George Lucas is to explore decisions that he wouldn't make.

I honestly don't know why this woman is wasting her breath. What's it going to achieve?

The Sequel Trilogy is a set of bullshit films, made by bullshit filmmakers, for audiences who deserve much, much better.

She's better off out of it, and keeping her opinions to herself.

People should state their dissatisfaction with things. Not doing that has given us years and years of mediocre, uninspired film making.

...and for the few that do speak out, they're shouted down by the companies and their shills as bad people for stating a valid opinion. More prominent people should say what we all know but some are afraid to say.

Hold the artists to a higher standard. It's the only way the culture advances. 

There. That's my soapbox for the day.

30 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

People should state their dissatisfaction with things. Not doing that has given us years and years of mediocre, uninspired film making.

Yet if it wasn't for Kathleen Kennedy, we wouldn't have 3 new John Williams Star Wars scores, and probably no 5th Indiana Jones on the way...

Dunno about you, but I don't want to live in a world where Rey's Theme never existed!

10 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Also, three great scores doesn't change the fact that the movies themselves were awful. 

Eh, that's not a fact, it's your opinion.

In my opinion the first two films were quite good trending great. It's really just TROS that actively ruins everything that preceded it.

1 hour ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Rinzler has very special access to Lucasworld. That's why he was able to write the books about his movies that he did.

...and why Disney wanted to shut him up.

Yeah. There are certainly things that make it appear legit. Part of what made it smell fishy to me was that my news feed exploded with this yesterday and they were all from the kind of sites that have predicted (for years now) that Kennedy was about to be fired, executed, and that they were in the process of remaking the REAL episodes 7-9.

I mean she sits quietly while George locks away her original edit and the work of all the people who made the original trilogy but she comes down like a ton of bricks on Kathleen Kennedy?

• 1 month later...

She's to blame for everything bad about Star Wars over the past 10 years, but somehow even though she's President she's not responsible in any way for everything good about Star Wars over the past 10 years.  Weird, yes, but undeniably true: I've been assured of it by the most scrupulous and ethical journalists in the industry.

12 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

everything good about Star Wars over the past 10 years.

Besides some new John Williams Star Wars music, which is a no brainer, what has that been?

What have we gained in the last 10 years that we either didn't already have or was made worse? 

23 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Besides some new John Williams Star Wars music, which is a no brainer, what has that been?

What have we gained in the last 10 years that we either didn't already have or was made worse? 

Well I'm a big fan of both The Mandalorian and Rogue One, and obviously there are big fans of Rebels, Clone Wars ending, Bad Batch, etc. (although I'm not).

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

But you see this was all done secretly without her knowing.

Of course. 

Kennedy would have been instrumental in negotiating whatever deal JW wanted to make those scores. He dictated terms, she negotiated with Disney to make it happen.

No other composer on earth would have been given the same schedule, resources and studio hours to record a film score, and Williams got it 3 times.

People are quick to throw Kennedy under the bus, all the while enjoying the fruits of her labour. 

No no no. I had it on the HIGHEST authority that she was going to be summarily executed AND burned years ago.

The sequels were a bit of a mess taken together. And as much as I loved Solo I would have liked to have seen what Lord and Miller would have done. (Why JJ got such a free hand is a little beyond me.)

But Force Awakens is pretty good. (On it's own it's very good.) I got Rebels. I got Rogue One. I got Mando. Hell, I got Solo.

It's kind of interesting that Lord & Miller have still not directed another movie (since 2014 for their last official credit).  Obviously they've been quite successful as a producing team in that period.

Apparently they're going to direct a  movie about the earliest days of the pandemic which..... sounds miserable and like it will bomb because nobody wants to watch that (just like all the 9/11 movies bombed too).

22 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Pandemic movies would have been relevant for maybe 6 months last year. That ship has well and truly sailed now. 

I dunno… I’d be interested in an early-days-of-COVID movie. The problem I see is that it’s too easily politicized. If the story is about its supposed lab origins, the filmmakers and studio will have forever burned their bridge to the Chinese market. If it isn’t about that, I don’t see the plot foundation for a Hollywood movie, since the virus doesn’t turn people into zombies. Probably best if they steer clear of the whole subject. 

37 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Apparently they're going to direct a  movie about the earliest days of the pandemic which..... sounds miserable and like it will bomb because nobody wants to watch that (just like all the 9/11 movies bombed too).

I might say that such a project is not for the current audience but for one 20+ years from now. (Like the 9/11 movies.)

OTOH unless it's willing to show how terribly wrong EVERYBODY has been I don't think it's going to be worth watching. And I don't think there's a film maker alive with the kind of vision or clout.

Back to Star Wars!

Last week I watched on Netflix a French movie about the pandemic. It was a comedy-drama whose title in French is 8 Rue de l'Humanité (don't know how it is called in English). Anyway, it's a silly movie, but heartwarming and relatable. 

46 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I've just re-watched the OT. The title of this thread should be: a lot is better than Star Wars.

If we don't get Hook this year it will be because of this comment... All ou prayers ruined by one sentence. Williams wrath will fall on us

7 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

If we don't get Hook this year it will be because of this comment... All ou prayers ruined by one sentence. Williams wrath will fall on us

Will Williams be merciful enough so that we at least get The Patriot? Or his wrath will be so terrible that not even Stepmom will be expanded?

5 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I've just re-watched the OT. The title of this thread should be: a lot is better than Star Wars.

Lookie here. They may not be the greatest films ever made (er... well...two of them are), but, in the realm of celluloid entertainment, one could do a lot worse.

3 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Lookie here. They may not be the greatest films ever made (er... well...two of them are), but, in the realm of celluloid entertainment, one could do a lot worse.

One is.

Just one.

Well...this is not good news. There's a distinct lack of clear vision for Star Wars and I think it's fair that in absence of a Lucas-type figure to lay that at the feet of the current president of Lucasfilm. Except for Visions (ironic name all things considered), there's been notable pushback in regards to innovating how Star Wars stories should be told and it has resulted in some serious stagnation. The constant stream of announcements of directors parting due to 'creative differences' (which sounds like a nice way of saying they were fired) do not convince me that there's clear direction from the top. I get the impression KK knows what not to do with Star Wars, but that opposition alone isn't nearly enough to define a vision. I believe some serious re-structuring needs to happen at Lucasfilm before the franchise can get back on the right track.

Before anyone tries to call me a hypocrite, I've been thoroughly underwhelmed by everything produced by Disney Star Wars except for some comics and novels. The publishing side is managed very differently to the media side, in the sense there's a lot less direct communication from the top and that the writers, although needing to get some things approved by Lucasfilm, have a lot more creative freedom and jurisdiction than someone working on an animated show, TV show, or movie would.

The worst part is when you directly compare the parts of the new universe to the old expanded universe. I read the Dark Horse Clone Wars comic series recently and it absolutely demolishes TCW in terms of storytelling, and now I'm in the process of reading the Dark Times comics (set immediately after Order 66) and it pulverizes Bad Batch and Rebels. The series goes to some really dark places as you'd expect in such a tumultuous time, and it feels a hell of a lot more honest to what Star Wars is whilst also providing a fresh look at the franchise. The truth is, the continuity was in a really good place before TCW, and since then everything has been in a steady decline before the reboot which has already begun to collapse in on itself due to the lack of continuity control and cohesion that the EU pre-TCW had.

57 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

Well...this is not good news. There's a distinct lack of clear vision for Star Wars and I think it's fair that in absence of a Lucas-type figure to lay that at the feet of the current president of Lucasfilm. Except for Visions (ironic name all things considered), there's been notable pushback in regards to innovating how Star Wars stories should be told and it has resulted in some serious stagnation. The constant stream of announcements of directors parting due to 'creative differences' (which sounds like a nice way of saying they were fired) do not convince me that there's clear direction from the top. I get the impression KK knows what not to do with Star Wars, but that opposition alone isn't nearly enough to define a vision. I believe some serious re-structuring needs to happen at Lucasfilm before the franchise can get back on the right track.

Before anyone tries to call me a hypocrite, I've been thoroughly underwhelmed by everything produced by Disney Star Wars except for some comics and novels. The publishing side is managed very differently to the media side, in the sense there's a lot less direct communication from the top and that the writers, although needing to get some things approved by Lucasfilm, have a lot more creative freedom and jurisdiction than someone working on an animated show, TV show, or movie would.

The worst part is when you directly compare the parts of the new universe to the old expanded universe. I read the Dark Horse Clone Wars comic series recently and it absolutely demolishes TCW in terms of storytelling, and now I'm in the process of reading the Dark Times comics (set immediately after Order 66) and it pulverizes Bad Batch and Rebels. The series goes to some really dark places as you'd expect in such a tumultuous time, and it feels a hell of a lot more honest to what Star Wars is whilst also providing a fresh look at the franchise. The truth is, the continuity was in a really good place before TCW, and since then everything has been in a steady decline before the reboot which has already begun to collapse in on itself due to the lack of continuity control and cohesion that the EU pre-TCW had.

I don't know.  Maybe there is a clear vision for Star Wars and that's towards episodic tv like Mandalorian and less of the big theatrical films.  That series is excellent.  So what if it ignores ST, it takes place before that. But clearly there is a path where disney can respect the fans, but deliver solid and contemporary new content too.

38 minutes ago, karelm said:

I don't know.  Maybe there is a clear vision for Star Wars and that's towards episodic tv like Mandalorian and less of the big theatrical films.  That series is excellent.  So what if it ignores ST, it takes place before that. But clearly there is a path where disney can respect the fans, but deliver solid and contemporary new content too.

I had hopes for Star Wars telling stories in the TV space but The Mandalorian severely under-delivered in regards to character development, plot, choreography, taking advantage of its Mandalorian-focused premise, or even committing to be a stand-alone piece. Now with the Book of Boba Fett coming up helmed by pretty much the same production team, I'm expecting history to repeat itself.

I also want to clarify that when I said vision for Star Wars, I meant more narratively than the content delivery approach. With the rebooted continuity they had the opportunity to carve out their own distinct vision and instead a lot of it is frankensteined from the old continuity or severely lacking in comparison.

There is a path, and it's one that I can't for the life of me fathom why it hasn't been taken. Bring. Back. The. EU. Run it as a separate continuity, keep the Legends label for all I care, just let creators continue to make content for it like before the Disney acquisition. There's a number of authors that are disenfranchised with the current continuity that would be rearing to continue where they left off. It's literally more money for Disney because those purchases all go back to the same source. It will also illuminate which particular brand of Star Wars is more popular and decisions can be made going forward with that. Start off by just having EU comics and novels, and if those do very well then why not make some TV shows or even movies? Run both alongside each other, as long as it's properly marketed there shouldn't be too much confusion.

While the headline comes across as KK hate-bait, according to this article "sources" are claiming Rogue Squadron hasn't just been shelved, but scrapped:

A follow-up report at Puck News, by former THR editor Matthew Belloni, has some more information. According to their sources, the film was delayed due to creative differences as Jenkins couldn’t agree on the script with Lucasfilm executives. He goes on to say:

“Jenkins wasn’t willing to d–k around, and she has other projects, notably Wonder Woman 3 at Warner Bros., where she enjoys more creative freedom.

…Filmmakers are dying to make a Star Wars movie – until they sign on and experience the micromanagement and plot-point-by-committee process.”

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

While the headline comes across as KK hate-bait, according to this article "sources" are claiming Rogue Squadron hasn't just been shelved, but scrapped:

This lines up with all the other director incidents. Lends some context as to why these ‘’’creative differences’’’ keep happening. Sounds very suffocating for a creator.