Star Wars is better than everything

Jay

Anything’s possible and Lucasfilm would do well to stop announcing movies that are just in the development phase.  It’s not doing their reputation any favors.

At the same time, re: the RJ trilogy, the source is untrustworthy and much like Kathy Kennedy getting the sack, this is about the one millionth time that this rumor has gone around.  Maybe true!  Probably not!  Who knows!

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Tallguy said:

It's the National Film Registry that won't accept the prints of Star Wars and Empire that Lucas has offered because they are not the original films, right?

Yep, but on looking it up I found his on Wiki:

In 1989, the United States Library of Congress named Star Wars among its first selections to the National Film Registry as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant"; at the time, it was the most recent film to be selected and it was the only film from the 1970s to be chosen.[6] Although Lucas declined to provide the Library with a workable copy of the original film upon request (instead offering the Special Edition), a viewable scan was made of the original copyright deposit print.

I wonder what their standards are on the matter for audio. For STAR WARS, the '77 wide release mono mix is far better than the unfinished '77 limited release stereo mix that came out earlier and was rushed. It lacks lines and atmospheric sounds the mono mix has, TIE Fighter Attack sounds terrible because one of the 3 tracks was out of sync with the other 2, etc.

Well, Star Wars went through several changes even during its original theatrical run.  Maybe they wanted the one that didn’t include “Episode IV A New Hope” and other minor changes, but he’d only provide his most current version?

It makes perfect sense. 

Star Wars is released in 1977.

In later years, it is retroactively retitled. 

In 1989, it is inducted into that list. They ask George for a copy of the original movie. He drags his feet for over years. Eventually he offers them a copy of his updated Special Edition, which comes out ten years after the induction year. 

8 hours ago, Holko said:

For STAR WARS, the '77 wide release mono mix is far better than the unfinished '77 limited release stereo mix that came out earlier and was rushed.

My own position with regards to archiving is that the film should be preserved (and made available) in the very first version that will have ever been seen by an audience; that would mean the stereo mix, and none of the (admittedly minor - though not insignificant - and few) changes made to the visuals between the limited run and the wide release.

As I understand it, the library ultimately got a print from 1978, so it would not conform to this; and its an answer print of somekind.

I'm willing to give some wiggle room on the tweaks that happened over the summer of 1977. But I think it gets way more clear cut from 77 to 78 or 77 to 81.

Of course the only Star Wars I watch is 4K77 in mono. 😎

Fun Star Wars fact I discovered yesterday: The voice of the stormtrooper who says "Theses aren't the droids you're looking for" was the original Launchpad McQuack on Ducktales!

I was actually trying to find the announcer for "The Death Star will be in range..."

38 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Gareth Edwards is still alive.  Dude seemingly dropped off the face of the earth after R1.  I thought for a bit he was gonna be like Kerry Conran.

Poor Edwards is a fine director. I wonder why no studio asked him to do anything else after R1. I guess the complicated production of that movie made executives think he's not that reliable and his productions won't be easy.

According to wikipedia, "In February 2020, it was reported that Edwards was set to direct and write True Love for New Regency along with Rogue One co-producer Kiri Hart serving as producer for the project.[13] The film is set to star John David Washington.[14]"

Maybe covid delayed that

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 16/12/2021 at 11:09 PM, Pellaeon said:

I thought Gareth Edwards was fired from Rogue One, and they brought in Tony Gilroy to save it.

I mean, isn't that kinda obvious no matter what people want you to think?

Edwards had to get sidelined and a huge chunk of his movie remade, only he played nice with Lucasfilm and got to still be in all the marketing and credited as director.

Compare that to Solo where the Lego Boys didn't play nice, got flat out fired from the movie and instead of getting first credit, got credit more like Gilroy did. 

I suggest the not playing nice because he was primed to become the next big, hot director in Hollywood and after 5 years we're barely heard a peep from him.

On 16/12/2021 at 2:51 PM, Jay said:

Maybe covid delayed that

A fair suggestion, but that wouldn't have affected not hearing anything from him in 2017, 2018, and 2019. Not even a movie release, but pushing him a lot in the press. 

3 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

I mean, isn't that kinda obvious no matter what people want you to think?

Edwards had to get sidelined and a huge chunk of his movie remade, only he played nice with Lucasfilm and got to still be in all the marketing and credited as director.

Compare that to Solo where the Lego Boys didn't play nice, got flat out fired from the movie and instead of getting first credit, got credit more like Gilroy did.  

Directing credits are dictated by DGA rules based on the work, and aren’t distributed at the whim of the production company based on who makes them grouchy.

On 16/12/2021 at 2:51 PM, Jay said:

According to wikipedia, "In February 2020, it was reported that Edwards was set to direct and write True Love for New Regency along with Rogue One co-producer Kiri Hart serving as producer for the project.[13] The film is set to star John David Washington.[14]"

Maybe covid delayed that

And here it is

Gareth Edwards to Reunite With ‘Rogue One’ Cinematographer Greig Fraser on New Film ‘True Love’  starring John David Washington and Allison Janney

Greig Fraser incidentally was the DP on DUNE and THE BATMAN too

Huh. Mixed on this. The sound mix sucks, hopefully the game itself will be better. I didn't like the cover and shooting system at all in TFA. A lot of the humor or attempts are a miss. The abilities and such somehow feel really convoluted, LEGO games were always simple. But it looks cool!

57 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

This game looks amazing, can't wait to get it!  What music is playing in the background?

I'm not a gamer but that does look fun... The music is fun, although it seems weird having imitation Star Wars music in an official Star Wars game. I guess it's a cost/licensing thing although other Star Wars games use versions of JW's music (right back to the old PC games like X-Wing etc., you haven't experienced the score to Star Wars until you've heard it in 8 bit).  Although, my understanding is that video games are a significantly more lucrative market (especially when it ties into such a big franchise and toy line) than movies thus licensing the actual music doesn't strike me as an unaffordable cost!

4 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I'm not a gamer but that does look fun... The music is fun, although it seems weird having imitation Star Wars music in an official Star Wars game. I guess it's a cost/licensing thing although other Star Wars games use versions of JW's music (right back to the old PC games like X-Wing etc., you haven't experienced the score to Star Wars until you've heard it in 8 bit).  Although, my understanding is that video games are a significantly more lucrative market (especially when it ties into such a big franchise and toy line) than movies thus licensing the actual music doesn't strike me as an unaffordable cost!

If this even is music for the game and not just library music from APM or whatever, it's likely that it'll be a mix of music from the films and maybe an original score (which is common not only for every recent Star Wars game but also for many of the non-SW Lego games). Given the immense size of this game compared to the older ones, it would make perfect sense to have more music to fill in the gaps.

I just realized, I recognize the music (at least from the beginning of the video)... iirc it was either from APM or Audio Network. So at least some of the music in the trailer is just random stock music that sounds Star Wars-esque.

EDIT: Found it! "Weeping Beauty" composed by James Brett, the same composer who wrote the "Anthony Daniels March".

This game is probably the last hope for getting unreleased JW SW music, especially from the sequels (but most importantly TROS).

It's hard not to imagine the Dunkirk sequence appearing in some form, maybe some Palpatine material towards the end, depending on what aspects of TROS they cover.

Not sure how it works with LA fees but IIRC the Lego TFA game had a 5.1 audio file of You're Han Solo, plus other unreleased bits and pieces (albeit used in cut scenes). Maybe the reuse fees work differently with video games, or they just forked out money for unreleased cues.

The Lego Indiana Jones game had plenty of unreleased TOD music, too.

Given that "You're Han Solo" is the only unreleased bit in Lego TFA (and it's named as such in the files, while the other pieces use their OST titles) and it's a bit micro-edited, I'm willing to bet it was originally going to be on the album, but was cut late, hence why it still appears in the game. I remember Amazon listed Jabba Flow on the album too like a month or so before release.