Star Wars is better than everything

Jay

3 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Given that "You're Han Solo" is the only unreleased bit in Lego TFA (and it's named as such in the files, while the other pieces use their OST titles) and it's a bit micro-edited, I'm willing to bet it was originally going to be on the album, but was cut late, hence why it still appears in the game. I remember Amazon listed Jabba Flow on the album too like a month or so before release.

Dobra Doompa.

8 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Given that "You're Han Solo" is the only unreleased bit in Lego TFA (and it's named as such in the files, while the other pieces use their OST titles) and it's a bit micro-edited, I'm willing to bet it was originally going to be on the album, but was cut late, hence why it still appears in the game.

Definitely the case

Interesting it was still in 7.1 then? If it came from a prototype album master, surely it would've been stereo.

Unless Ramiro assembles the OSTs in surround sound and Sullivan handles the downmix to stereo as part of her mastering process?

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

My daughter, who has been just jumping around between Star Wars things semi-randomly for a few months, decided she wanted to watch the "old movies" as she calls them.  She's on Empire tonight and after Yoda pulls the X-wing out of the swamp she says, "Is he gonna go to sleep like Grogu?"

Also, despite the fact that she's watched a bunch of Clone Wars episodes (because she likes Ahsoka) she does not actually know that Anakin becomes Darth Vader.  She's finding that out tonight!

So how did she take it??

TBH when I was 11 and the movie just came out it was not that earth shattering. Han getting frozen in carbonite and still in danger at the end of the movie? THAT was devastating. But Vader was the bad guy. They lie a lot. I mean, how ridiculous would it be in all the galaxy for these two people to be father and son? I mean, you might as well say that Luke is related to some other random stranger from another planet that he just met. *cough*

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Is 4K80 still not out yet?

Not just yet. "With any luck, we should be seeing a long awaited feature length preview of 4K80 later this week!" according to the project lead. Post was from today.

On 14/02/2022 at 6:16 PM, Manakin Skywalker said:

Not just yet. "With any luck, we should be seeing a long awaited feature length preview of 4K80 later this week!" according to the project lead. Post was from today.

It seems a beta is NOW out...

• 3 weeks later...

The Force Awakens is on TBS right now (it’s a basic cable channel in America) and coming on next is…. The Rise of Skywalker.  They’re actually just straight up skipping The Last Jedi in TV airings!  That’s pretty funny.

Someone watching the first time can go straight from finding Luke on the island to him being a force ghost :lol:

Whatever happened to that Snoke guy?

A 70mm screening of 'Star Wars' (1977) (without the 'A New Hope' moniker) will take place at the Academy Museum in Los Angeles, CA, this May 31st.

Star Wars (academymuseum.org)

Sorry! Tickets are sold out.

The AMPAS hosted the same screening back in June 2019 at the Samuel Goldwyn Theater, Los Angeles, CA.

Star Wars and Rogue One | Oscars.org | Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences

9ADF4882-98F3-4C8B-BBDE-0494F575727A.jpeg

Saw this post, and thought ”yeah, right, in your dreams”.

But then got to thinking.

If considered as a whole the PT was a bit of a mess, even if parts were entertaining. Solo didn’t do anything for me (score excluded, naturally). Boba Fett was horrendous.

I guess that the Mando series is a contender for ‘best Star Wars project from Disney, but in my view that only applies to S1. I can’t even remember what happened in S2 so that can’t be good.

So could it be that this mediocre film is really the best SW from Disney yet?

Sad.

I know a whole bunch of what I snobbingly call "real" Star Wars fans. Like the ones who've been around forever, read the books, played the games, etc. Not the people who came in because it's cool to like anything Disney puts out. A surprising amount of those types love Rogue One more than anything else Star Wars.

For me? It's certainly the best Star Wars fan film ever made.

7 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

I know a whole bunch of what I snobbingly call "real" Star Wars fans. Like the ones who've been around forever, read the books, played the games, etc. Not the people who came in because it's cool to like anything Disney puts out. 

One of the grossest paragraphs I've ever read on this forum?

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

One of the grossest paragraphs I've ever read on this forum?

No. I think it's fair to point out that a lot of the older Star Wars fans don't like the current stuff as much as the people who jumped on the bandwagon circa 2015 or so. Nor do I think it's out of line to say someone who just jumped on a bandwagon isn't a real fan. Maybe controversial these days with the religiousness people treat fandoms, but not out of line.

10 hours ago, rough cut said:

9ADF4882-98F3-4C8B-BBDE-0494F575727A.jpeg

Saw this post, and thought ”yeah, right, in your dreams”.

But then got to thinking.

If considered as a whole the PT was a bit of a mess, even if parts were entertaining. Solo didn’t do anything for me (score excluded, naturally). Boba Fett was horrendous.

I guess that the Mando series is a contender for ‘best Star Wars project from Disney, but in my view that only applies to S1. I can’t even remember what happened in S2 so that can’t be good.

So could it be that this mediocre film is really the best SW from Disney yet?

Sad.

I am afraid,  for me the best Star Wars content from Disney are TCW season 7 and Bad Badge. Might have to do with my low expectations, but I really enjoyed these shows.

13 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I am afraid,  for me the best Star Wars content from Disney are TCW season 7 and Bad Badge. Might have to do with my low expectations, but I really enjoyed these shows.

I feel that The Clone Wars Season 7 is some of the best Star Wars content ever!

Especially the final arc on Mandalore. This for me has really to do with that I am a really big fan of both Ahsoka & Maul. 2 of my favourite Star Wars characters.

On 13/03/2022 at 10:32 PM, SyncMan said:

A 70mm screening of 'Star Wars' (1977) (without the 'A New Hope' moniker) will take place at the Academy Museum in Los Angeles, CA, this May 31st.

Screening prints of the original-ish cut is not so unheard of.

Its getting to see the original cut off of the negative that people want.

I'm not talking about a new fan, I'm talking about someone who jumps onto something because it's popular and/or pushed hard by a major studio that they'll support no matter what. That's a MAJOR difference. 

My wife watched The Force Awakens yesterday. Arguably the best of the sequel films. (Anyone who thinks it's a "shot for shot remake of Star Wars"... I can't even finish the sentence.)

But the biggest thing that takes me out of the movie is when Rey finds Luke's lightsaber. Even in 2015 I knew J.J. had no idea what that meant. So what's the freaking point?

Oh that and the fact that the word "resistance" has no meaning. But Rebel and Resistance both start with R. J.J. can be so smart and so illiterate sometimes at the same time.

And the best Star Wars thing Disney has made so far is Rebels. Rogue One is quite good too. If Disney hadn't made Resistance then the worst Disney Star Wars would actually be the Sequel films. (YES, i like Solo.)

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I don't actually know anyone like that.  Sounds more like those terrible "influencers" who make their living off hype.  They don't count as human beings!

My experience is that no one hates Disney more than Disney fans.

Maybe it's a New York area thing. It was insufferable for a few years. 

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

My wife watched The Force Awakens yesterday. Arguably the best of the sequel films. (Anyone who thinks it's a "shot for shot remake of Star Wars"... I can't even finish the sentence.)

But the biggest thing that takes me out of the movie is when Rey finds Luke's lightsaber. Even in 2015 I knew J.J. had no idea what that meant. So what's the freaking point?

Oh that and the fact that the word "resistance" has no meaning. But Rebel and Resistance both start with R. J.J. can be so smart and so illiterate sometimes at the same time.

And the best Star Wars thing Disney has made so far is Rebels. Rogue One is quite good too. If Disney hadn't made Resistance then the worst Disney Star Wars would actually be the Sequel films. (YES, i like Solo.)

I'm not saying it's BAD or anything, but I don't get why people like Rebels so much. It was a fairly standard kids show where everyone kinda does nothing for most of the series and then there are a few big episodes. I didn't really connect with the main characters there as much as I even did with the clones most prominently featured in Clone Wars.

Rogue One wise, I still think people only like it so much because they remember the last half hour or so because nothing memorable or likable at all happens in at least the first hour of the film. The stuff that does happen at the very end does leave a hell of an impression, though.

10 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

I'm not talking about a new fan, I'm talking about someone who jumps onto something because it's popular and/or pushed hard by a major studio that they'll support no matter what. That's a MAJOR difference. 

Again, I will re-iterate: who cares? Even if these people do exist, how does that affect you in any way? I personally cannot see this phenomenon myself; on the contrary, from my experience the mere concept of bandwagoners seems to be another gatekeeping tool of purity-obsessed superfans as a way to “other” themselves and push a narrative that they are exceptional and the only people who truly care about their chosen obsession. It’s a false dichotomy with no real life consequence. Again I don’t mean to be harsh to you personally, I’m absolutely guilty of this myself; my very presence on this forum is a reminder that I used to hold these beliefs fairly intensely, especially around anything to do with John Williams, the franchises he’s scored and film music in general. At least until I realised that it doesn’t really matter, and if anything was just sucking the fun out of things and making me anxious about other peoples’ opinions.

6 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

I'm not saying it's BAD or anything, but I don't get why people like Rebels so much. It was a fairly standard kids show where everyone kinda does nothing for most of the series and then there are a few big episodes. I didn't really connect with the main characters there as much as I even did with the clones most prominently featured in Clone Wars.

I like all the characters. And the one I liked least (Ezra, of course) is the one that actually has his ups and downs over the series. (Remember when he used the Force to cause an AT-ST driver kill his own troops and then commit suicide? Family fun!)

If there were a lot of projects that took place in or near the Original Trilogy timeline maybe Rebels wouldn't be so unique. But when it came out in 2014 it was the most Star Wars thing I had seen since 1980.

I remember when everyone lost their minds over Vader in Rogue One. Well, Rebels did it first. (Like when Vader used the Force to try to make Ezra decapitate himself with his own lightsaber. Yup, just for kids!)

6 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Rogue One wise, I still think people only like it so much because they remember the last half hour or so because nothing memorable or likable at all happens in at least the first hour of the film. The stuff that does happen at the very end does leave a hell of an impression, though.

I just rewatched R1 a couple of weeks ago. I find the whole movie good. But yeah, the last act is definitely a step up.

It does a very good job (to me) of making Star Wars look really really real. And again, it's in the OT timeline and not all about Jedi.

I'm always amazed that we got seven seasons of Anakin Skywalker but they dole out Luke, Leia, Han, and Lando like they are precious gems. Give me seven seasons set between Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back, please!

I really don’t think there’s anything to dislike about Rogue One for me.  I like the whole thing, even if it’s not necessarily amazing in the first couple thirds.  The visuals are still astounding, I like Andor and K2SO.  Forrest Whitaker gets to be all weird, always a plus.  I just like watching it.  It gets shown on TV a lot here too.

For me, the rushed ending ruined the whole movie.

You can't just show Leia for 2 seconds, what is that kind of storytelling???

5 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Family fun!)

5 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Yup, just for kids!

Are you one of those who unironically points to that video compilation of random cartoon violence to show how "mature" CW actually is, not just a dumbass childish show?

9 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I'm always amazed that we got seven seasons of Anakin Skywalker but they dole out Luke, Leia, Han, and Lando like they are precious gems. Give me seven seasons set between Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back, please!

I think they did that, to make the prequels make a bit more sense. In the prequels Anakin's story arc is pretty thin. How The Clone Wars works is that they have broaden his story lines and those of a lot more characters.

I don't think the characters from the OG Trilogy had the same problem

14 hours ago, Bespin said:

For me, the rushed ending ruined the whole movie.

You can't just show Leia for 2 seconds, what is that kind of storytelling???

Good news. In the movie that takes place five minutes later she's in it a lot!

What did you want her to do that would have made the movie less rushed?

8 hours ago, Holko said:

Are you one of those who unironically points to that video compilation of random cartoon violence to show how "mature" CW actually is, not just a dumbass childish show?

Well, I don't think it's "mature" OR "a dumbass childish show". It's not Alien but it's also not Scooby Doo. I think they pretty much just wrote Star Wars. (Which many people also consider a dumbass childish show.) It just happened to be animated.

35 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

With a "real" actress, I would have built a complete scene of few minutes introducing Leia, the commading crew of the ship... reacting to the Imperial Attack.

You know a scene, some dialogues between characters and some music... a SCENE.

8 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Good news. In the movie that takes place five minutes later she's in it a lot!

Well, I don't think it's "mature" OR "a dumbass childish show". It's not Alien but it's also not Scooby Doo. I think they pretty much just wrote Star Wars. (Which many people also consider a dumbass childish show.) It just happened to be animated.

The tone of Rebels is definitely more kid-friendly than the OT, the latter being more violent and having more palpable (heh) consequences.

I found in a lot of cases with Rebels, even compared to TCW, that it would keep shying away from showing our heroes actually killing their enemies to the point of it being immersion breaking (stormtroopers shown still moving after being shot like three times?), as well as course-correcting whenever the themes started to get even slightly dark. An example of this is the cliffhanger in a Season 4 episode where the weapon Sabine developed when she was younger gets used to disintegrate the Mandalorians but then the people that actually matter, her family, just inexplicably survive. That’s shying away from consequence, and in an immersion-breaking way because for all intents and purposes at least one of them should’ve been disintegrated too.

Other than that Rebels is quite good at witty Star Wars dialogue and banter between a core group of characters. It’s also a pretty good representation of the Jedi and has a very compelling premise of a Jedi Padawan displaced by Order 66 that has to learn to be a master for the sake of the future of the order

3 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

The tone of Rebels is definitely more kid-friendly than the OT, the latter being more violent and having more palpable (heh) consequences.

I found in a lot of cases with Rebels, even compared to TCW, that it would keep shying away from showing our heroes actually killing their enemies to the point of it being immersion breaking (stormtroopers shown still moving after being shot like three times?), as well as course-correcting whenever the themes started to get even slightly dark. An example of this is the cliffhanger in a Season 4 episode where the weapon Sabine developed when she was younger gets used to disintegrate the Mandalorians but then the people that actually matter, her family, just inexplicably survive. That’s shying away from consequence, and in an immersion-breaking way because for all intents and purposes at least one of them should’ve been disintegrated too.

Other than that Rebels is quite good at witty Star Wars dialogue and banter between a core group of characters. It’s also a pretty good representation of the Jedi and has a very compelling premise of a Jedi Padawan displaced by Order 66 that has to learn to be a master for the sake of the future of the order

I'm going to disagree with you about shying away from violence or consequences. I remember being somewhat shocked (certainly in the earlier episodes, things may have softened up later) at the BODY COUNT this show had! Sure, they were almost all bucket heads. But not all. Like I pointed out above at the start of the third season Ezra was borderline sadistic.

More "kid-friendly than the OT" covers a lot of ground. Maybe more than Empire, not as much as Jedi, and spot on with Star Wars. (OK, Star Wars got to show a bloody arm.) So for me, that hit the sweet spot.

Sabine's family didn't survive because the show was shying away from dark, they survived because it was a cheesy cliffhanger that they should never have been put into in the first place. I certainly didn't take it in stride with "Oh, that's just what this show is like."

There were a fair number of "important" characters who met their untimely ends. (Although that plucky senator from Alderaan seemed to be OK.)

OK I'm gonna stop with my middle-age grumbling about fandom after this I promise, I know it's getting old, but I find it kinda weird how often people try to defend the "adultness" of things like Marvel and SW, citing body counts and dark themes etc. It's ok that these franchises are geared towards children. And for what it's worth, live action and animated movies, series, cartoons etc have depicted these kinds of things for decades now. That doesn't mean they're not still aimed toward a younger audience, and nor does that fact mean you can't still enjoy it as an adult. 

But at the end of the day, it's mostly implied, and none of them are actually going to show any blood (outside for the occasional scar or semi-cauterised wound). So it seems to be a bit of a moot point IMO. I will say though that the image of an amputee Anakin screaming in pain while burning alive is probably a bit much for the kids, yiiiikes.

Yeah, I’ve seen what mature Star Wars looks like thanks to some of the stories in the EU, and it is night and day with Rebels. Best way I can describe it is that it just pulls absolutely zero punches, there’s very little limits to what the characters can and will do according to their motivations, and when the state of the galaxy is scummy you really see that (which again is another problem I have with Rebels as it is set during the ‘Dark Times’ but is a Saturday Morning Cartoon version of the Empire’s oppression of the galaxy or is just extremely insular with Lothal). Mature Star Wars is very confronting, and I’m seriously lacking storytelling like that in the Disney era, except for the odd novel like Inferno Squadron where a group of Rebel terrorists blow up an Imperial school containing children.

Probably the most confronting thing I experienced recently was in the first novel of the Bane trilogy where the titular Sith is dying from poison and trying to get to this healer. He’s in a speeder but crashes it due to succumbing from the effects of the poison, but then there’s a farmer and two of his kids that stumble across his lightsaber (Bane is hidden behind the speeder). The kid picks the lightsaber up curious and…Bane activates it with the force, impaling him. The father is absolutely distraught and horrified (the audiobook voice over for this was chilling), and Bane uses the Force to kill the other child and then the father. Why did he do this? Because he needed a boost of dark side energy to survive the trip, and he gains that from the suffering and anguish of others, and since Bane strongly believes the weak should serve the strong then that’s the perfect execution (heh) of his ideology.

It was confronting as hell because the book does a really good job of making you root for Bane and then this happens and you’re like ‘oh Jesus, this is what the Sith still have to be’ and you’re left horrified that this is the character you want to succeed. It’s extremely good writing.

On 18/03/2022 at 5:57 PM, Docteur Qui said:

OK I'm gonna stop with my middle-age grumbling about fandom after this I promise, I know it's getting old, but I find it kinda weird how often people try to defend the "adultness" of things like Marvel and SW, citing body counts and dark themes etc.

13 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

Yeah, I’ve seen what mature Star Wars looks like thanks to some of the stories in the EU, and it is night and day with Rebels.

I suppose my point is not that Rebels is not "super mature". But that it is as mature as Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back were. I mean, it's not Schindler's List. It's not supposed to be.

The issue I have is when fans of Star Wars will dismiss Rebels (and to a lesser extent Clone Wars - Just because I don't enjoy CW and much as Rebels) as "kid's stuff". To paraphrase Dr. Banner: It's Star Wars. It's either all kid's stuff or none of it is.

BTW, the family and I watched Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back over the last two nights. I dip in and out of the films often, of course. But I don't usually sit down and WATCH them. You know? They're really quite good!

8 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I suppose my point is not that Rebels is not "super mature". But that it is as mature as Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back were. I mean, it's not Schindler's List. It's not supposed to be.

The issue I have is when fans of Star Wars will dismiss Rebels (and to a lesser extent Clone Wars - Just because I don't enjoy CW and much as Rebels) as "kid's stuff". To paraphrase Dr. Banner: It's Star Wars. It's either all kid's stuff or none of it is.

BTW, the family and I watched Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back over the last two nights. I dip in and out of the films often, of course. But I don't usually sit down and WATCH them. You know? They're really quite good!

Well, you can at least rest assured I’m not one of those people because I’ve seen all of every Star Wars animated show, including for some reason - Star Wars Resistance

I just find Rebels frustrating because it gets close to greatness but then backtracks to keep some kind of tonal status quo. It’s something I’m worried about for the upcoming Obi Wan show, especially because it was just revealed that it was rewritten for being too dark for KK’s liking. Smacks of when KK fired Lord and Miller from Solo, which was a case of directors wanting to do something bold and creative but being slapped down by the status quo. That’s not the spirit of Star Wars or what Lucas was going for at all, so it’s no wonder so many products in the Disney era barely resemble Star Wars beyond superficial levels.