Star Wars is better than everything

Jay

7 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Did you feel you had something to atone for? ;)

For some reason I feel like I need to keep my finger on the pulse of all modern Star Wars so I watched it to see how they'd address the gap between the Empire and the First Order

That's the thing though, even if the Kenobi show is really bad, I'll still be able to get enjoyment out of it because I'll get to compare it to equivalent stories in the EU and see why stuff worked and why other stuff didn't

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Today is the 45th anniversary of A New Hope.

Another year has come and gone and yet no sign of the expansions

Nearly as important, no sign of official releases of the original versions of the films

36 minutes ago, Stu said:

Nearly as important, no sign of official releases of the original versions of the films

Hereabouts we know that the movie is just a vehicle for the music. 😁

5 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Today is the 45th anniversary of A New Hope.

Another year has come and gone and yet no sign of the expansions

Star Wars Darth Vader GIF - Star Wars Darth Vader Noo - Discover & Share  GIFs

Kind of a joke at this point, the albums that are released are a joke. The Lord Of The Rings Scores are treated like gold.

1 hour ago, Gibster said:

Kind of a joke at this point, the albums that are released are a joke. The Lord Of The Rings Scores are treated like gold.

My Star Wars scores are very jealous of my Star Trek scores. 

3 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

Like the town of Silent Hill, in this day and age Disneyland manifests around you whether you're there or not

I wish that there was an emoticon for "abject fear", because this statement is terrifying.

On 21/03/2022 at 12:35 AM, DarthDementous said:

Well, you can at least rest assured I’m not one of those people because I’ve seen all of every Star Wars animated show, including for some reason - Star Wars Resistance

I just find Rebels frustrating because it gets close to greatness but then backtracks to keep some kind of tonal status quo. It’s something I’m worried about for the upcoming Obi Wan show, especially because it was just revealed that it was rewritten for being too dark for KK’s liking. Smacks of when KK fired Lord and Miller from Solo, which was a case of directors wanting to do something bold and creative but being slapped down by the status quo. That’s not the spirit of Star Wars or what Lucas was going for at all, so it’s no wonder so many products in the Disney era barely resemble Star Wars beyond superficial levels.

i'm not sure. when they bought Lucasfilm they had meetings to determine "what is Star Wars" and as it turns out the range is... not big

30 minutes ago, Brónach said:

i'm not sure. when they bought Lucasfilm they had meetings to determine "what is Star Wars" and as it turns out the range is... not big

This is the problem though, I've already seen how far of a range you can go while still feeling like Star Wars and it's called the old expanded universe

I'm always very puzzled by this notion that Star Wars is this unproven thing in terms of flexibility when for 40 years it was doing exactly that. These are certainly more niche though, especially in the wake of a new canon that is essentially revising what was previously established, but damn if there isn't a lot of evidence for amazing storytelling potential in this franchise

Of course, this is all very much in the eye of the beholder, and it does not surprise me that Disney Lucasfilm appraise the franchise in this way because it is reflected very strongly in the media they have made

Talking to my daughter about when the various SW movies came out, I suddenly realized that this year it’s officially been longer since Episode 1 came out (23 years) than the time between the original film and Episode 1 (22 years)

I watched only few selected episodes of Clone Wars in preparation for the new Obi-Wan Kenobi limited series... and I was pleasantly surprised.

Of course the selected episodes were about very specific arcs related closely to Obi-Wan, they were not "fillers".

I recommend this selection to everyone!

I particularly liked the last 4 episodes of the 7th and last season, which occurs prior and concurrently with Revenge of The Sith.

It made me also ready for the Ashoka series to come!

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/30231-obi-wan-tv-show-confirmed/page/14/#comment-1886017

main-qimg-e550859985fda913b2b5a35f0c4f3cef.gif

Almost 2 decades old, and this is still one of the most arresting opening sequences to get an audience into the action.  The music, the changing camera perspectives, the sounds of the starfighters.

I'm finding myself missing George Lucas making Star Wars.

We know Lucas invited Spielberg to direct a couple of shots in that movie: some of the shots of order 66 are his. Since the use of oners is not characteristic of the rest of Episode III or really anything in Lucas’ ouvre, but is VERY characteristic of Spielberg, I think there’s a case to be made there.

19 hours ago, Chen G. said:

We know Lucas invited Spielberg to direct a couple of shots in that movie: some of the shots of order 66 are his. Since the use of oners is not characteristic of the rest of Episode III or really anything in Lucas’ ouvre, but is VERY characteristic of Spielberg, I think there’s a case to be made there.

I'm 75% sure those oners were devised under Spielberg's supervision, I was reading Making of ROTS and Lucas talks about how Spielberg came in on the day they were putting together that whole sequence in pre-vis

Still, it's Lucas that kept it in the movie so some credit is still owed to him

Comments, as expected, full of people shouting “oh, so we can’t criticize your show without being called racist!”  ignoring the actual, explicit, racist messages that spurred the social media intervention.  As always, dumb as bricks folks missing vital context in favor of believing everything on social media furthers their own personal journey.

Good for Lucasfilm to be as proactive as possible, after being reactive in the Kelly Marie Tran situation and essentially silent about all the abuses Boyega and Best suffered for many years.

• 2 weeks later...

Star Wars fans are not racists. We don't want these incels in our group.

I mean from the start, the message behind Star Wars and Star Trek is friendship and collaboration between races (except the hutts).

I love to use the term "incels". It's my favourite new word. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

People have been suggesting it since Rogue One came out. Wasn't there a deepfake where someone put her face over Leia's?

I had a dream....

I had a dream and it was about Star Wars.

I dreamed about Disney+ redoing the old trilogy in 6 TV series episodes (ANH, ESB and ROTJ), using deepfakes with the young faces of Hamill, Fisher, Ford and Dee Williams.

Featuring Mark Hamill and his Mando Double (to deage him), featuring Suatoma as Chewie, Warwick Davis as an older Ework, the voice of Anthony Daniels, and of course...

Ian McDiarmid as the Emperor...

McGregor as Obi-Wan and... Christensen as Darth Vader.

A shot-by-shot remake of the SE Editions (but with a better fight scene between Obi-Wan and Vader!) and with a brand new re-recorded score (exactly the same scores they play in concert)

• 1 month later...
On 04/08/2022 at 10:28 PM, Roll the Bones said:

Started listening to the X-Wing series (via the new audiobooks) for the first time, they are pretty good so far, Corran Horn is a neat character.

Just finished the third book.

Spoiler

The identity of the traitor spy was so obvious, I figured it out as early as the first book

There’s so much gold in the EU that would be absolutely stunning in media form

Someone made this animated fan-film about a sequence from X-Wing: The Krytos Trap that I thought was exceptionally well done, and also shows how well some of these events can translate to cinematic form: 

5 hours ago, Roll the Bones said:

Just finished the third book.

Awesome! I thought the 4th book was where the series really hit its stride. 5th+ all excellent.