Star Wars is better than everything

Jay

2 hours ago, Andy said:

There hasn’t been a space battle in any Content since TRoS.   I miss the actual Wars. 

And those were not great. 

• 2 weeks later...

My new bluray player has enough settings to play right the "Original Theatrical cuts" featured on the second discs of the 2006 DVDs of the original Trilogy the right way.

It's not even 720p, it's small, with black bars on each side, up, down, left and right, but it's all we have (without falling into the bootlegs, of course).

I watched Star Wars '77 like that last week, and it was marvelous.  I never liked the Special Editions.  And I never liked the Special, Special Editions (where Lucas proved to all of us he was mentally declining).

Which makes me think one thing about the Force Ghosts...

If you watch the episodes in the released order... WHO THE F*** IS THIS GUY AT THE END OF RETURN OF THE JEDI??? Luke just saved and old guy... so who's this young guy beside Yoda and Obi-Wan? We never saw him before!!! WTF.

In my perspective a Force ghost appears to someone who knows him very well, first. Secondly, it's better if he appears under a form who'll make him recognizable by this person, don't you think?

So, WTF George??? What's the matter with you?

20220818_135617.jpg

3 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

A quick question:

Yoda and Luke both disappeared after they died, but Ben disappeared before he died. Why the discrepancy?

Yoda and Obi-Wan disapeared AS they died, at the exact moment they died. Luke did too. Because they were trained to do so.

This is a thing I'll never wish to anyone to see in the real life, but it can have a little delay of few seconds before a person take his last breath.. and the moment when the person really "physically" dies.

And this is why I guess you can still reanimate a person who stopped to breath for few seconds... if the brain was not too damaged because of the lack of oxygen.

12 minutes ago, Bespin said:

It's not even 720p, it's small, with black bars on each side, up, down, left and right, but it's all we have (without falling into the bootlegs, of course).

Friends don’t let friends not watch the 4K77. Let us help you. Please.

3 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

Friends don’t let friends not watch the 4K77. Let us help you. Please.

I watched the Despecialized version, it's a gimmick.

It's a gimmick, like the Special Edition is a gimmick.

It's uneven... as we watch it, we knows what scene is from the original cut, which one is from the Bluray... It's a gimmick.

Then, the 4K77 is a restored version of the movie way more inferior than what is really possible with today's pro technology.

Can I watch the movie as I saw it when I was a kid please, but restored, like every movie is restored today?

10 minutes ago, Bespin said:

as we watch it, we knows what scene is from the original cut, wihich one is from the Bluray

I think you're confusing the 4k77 version with Harmy's despecialized version.

Just now, Chen G. said:

Scanning an answer print and calling it 4K...yeah, that counts as a gimmick in my book...

If Lucas wasn't a complete dick, we wouldn't have to settle for amateur restorations.

I don’t mind the versions of the movies we have available now, but I’d love to have the original editions, and the editions as amended during the 1970s-80s, and the 1997 theatrical special editions, and the defunct 2004 DVD editions, and the theatrical versions of TPM and AOTC, all officially available in great quality for historical purposes.  I suspect even the bare minimum of that request (original releases) will never happen while Lucas is alive.  

27 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Scanning an answer print and calling it 4K...yeah, that counts as a gimmick in my book...

But printing the laserdisc onto a DVD and making you buy it in a bundle with the version you don’t want... not a gimmick?

2 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

But printing the laserdisc onto a DVD and making you buy it in a bundle with the version you don’t want... not a gimmick?

*Applying bad DNR onto the upscaled laserdisc causing ghosting, and letterboxing it, and not doing any quality check or colour balancing and printing it onto a DVD

2 hours ago, Holko said:

*Applying bad DNR onto the upscaled laserdisc causing ghosting, and letterboxing it, and not doing any quality check or colour balancing and printing it onto a DVD

But, that was the 'best available source'!

3 hours ago, mstrox said:

Yeah, that was a real foul move.  Felt passive aggressive, almost!

No. It just felt aggressive. 

And I gather there are young and impressionable viewers who are seeing shots in Light and Magic with years of artificial wear and tear added and saying "THESE are the original effects my dad keeps going on about? Give me the new stuff, thank you!" So the aggression continues! 

• 1 month later...
38 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

https://www.darkhorizons.com/jones-officially-retires-his-vader-voice/

Jones Officially Retires His Darth Vader Voice

Jones officially retires….his darth vader voices does not…

6 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Jones officially retires….his darth vader voices does not…

With his permission, to be fair

Was interesting to have it finally be confirmed what James Earl Jones involvement in Kenobi actually was, which turns out was just consultancy. It was after TROS that he decided to retire otherwise I imagine he would've just done it himself. The story on Vanity Fair about the Ukrainian employees at Respeecher literally working on this project during the bombings is insane too

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I finally finished my years-long quest to slog through The Clone Wars this Christmas Break.  I've watched in starts and stops since 2019, I don't remember much about seasons 1 - 4 beyond how truly awful I thought they were, watching only for the background canon and because people had assured me that it gets better.  My main problem is that the majority feels incredibly inconsequential on top of how ugly I think the design and animation is.  I just mostly didn't care about the battle on planet whatever, or patience-trying droid hijinks, or, truly the worst part of the show, those annoying pirates (Jim Cummings is truly the most irritating yet inescapable voice actor).  The voice acting in general remains a mixed bag.  Most are just mediocre, but Yoda is actively just bad.

I could see more of why people liked the show once Darth Maul was introduced, and then the last arcs of season 5 were pretty good.  But the show didn't become actually enjoyable for me until 6 and 7 (I'll admit I just straight up skipped that Padme centered arc in season 6 though).  The stories felt more interesting and consequential, the storytelling itself seemed to improve a lot too. 

The finale arc was truly just excellent Star Wars, loved it.  I immediately watched the new Tales of the Jedi and also loved it.  I also in season 7 really liked the concept and execution of the Bad Batch, so much that I immediately watched the feature length first episode of that show and can't wait to keep going!  I want to binge that first season before season 2 starts next week.

Improbably, after being so anti-Clone Wars for years, I've suddenly become majorly invested in the animated universe of Star Wars.

I guess I'll go back and start Rebels after Bad Batch season 2.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

while Bad Batch has a lot of episodic adventures, the quality is pretty good and the story is fairly goal-directed.

I really did not expect to like the Bad Batch as much as I do.  I was not on board at all for much of the show’s attempts to turn the clones into distinct characters (like the ARC guys just didn’t work).  But the Bad Batch is them refining and figuring out the way to do it.  Unsurprisingly that way is to make them essentially not clones while still being clones.

For the spinoff series, the immediate aftermath of ROTS is just a more interesting period than filling in yet more stories between AOTC and ROTS.  I really liked the feature length pilot!  Good characterization and good background dynamics as the distinction between the Republic and the Empire comes into focus.  The Kaminoans vs Tarkin is cool.

BTW I finished binging season 1 of The Bad Batch since Tuesday and pretty much loved it across the board.  I've also watched the first 6 episodes of Rebels and it's not bad at all!

I think the first half of Clone Wars was just uniquely creaky and boring for me.  Filoni & co. got so much better at what they were doing over time.  The quality jump in the D+ era is especially noticeable IMO.

Honestly it's a big relief for me that I was able to get into these shows with perseverance.  It was always such a huge part of Star Wars that I felt cut off from and now I feel more fully engaged as a fan.

I love Bad Batch and I'm very excited for the new season (even though it means the end of my vacation). Clone Wars is, like you said, very much all over the board. The last four episodes of the Clone Wars are truly next level and the best thing from the Prequel era by a goodly margin.

But Rebels is where my heart is.

We differ there for sure, at least when it comes to Goransson.  I didn’t enjoy the work of Britell or Holt much either, but I did still love Andor, so… it just is what it is.  It’s nice when Star Wars gets scores I like, too bad when they don’t.

Andor seems like it should be more than just five years before ANH to me but that doesn't mean that it is. 

On 31/12/2022 at 1:38 PM, Tallguy said:

I love Bad Batch and I'm very excited for the new season (even though it means the end of my vacation).

I too loved the bad batch. I would have preferred Omega not be another Fett clone but that's just my personal opinion. I did really enjoy much of what Bad Batch had to offer. 

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

One thing I really dislike about these animated shows is the scores.  Annoying and distracting Williams needle drops mixed with 3rd rate Williams imitations. 

To be fair, that is more in recent post-lucas times, as when it first started, they were actively trying to avoid old themes and embrace different sounds (such as techno in the R2D2 replaced episode)

1 hour ago, Indianagirl said:

I too loved the bad batch. I would have preferred Omega not be another Fett clone but that's just my personal opinion. I did really enjoy much of what Bad Batch had to offer. 

Yeah, I can’t help thinking there must be more revelations to come regarding Omega beyond just her status as a “pure” Jango clone.  I also have to assume they’re planning on having Omega and Boba meet at some point.

Either way, the adorable Kiwi accent makes the character completely justified in my book :lol:

I'm in early-mid season 2 of my Rebels binge.  Watched the "Wings of the Master" episode last night.

I would bet real American money that the scene where Hera first flies the prototype B wing was temped with James Horner's Rocketeer.  Or maybe Kiner made the connection on his own.  It's not an exact copy but the similarity jumped out to me like a sore thumb. 

The two times that the temp music (other than Star Wars) really stood out to me was The Rocketeer and Jaws (where we meet Rex again). For some reason Jaws didn't bother me. But The Rocketeer felt like it would have been better off just playing The Rocketeer. It was either too close or not close enough.

I still loved the episode. Also the fact that the designer of the B-Wing was a Mon Cal named Quarrie, or M.C. Quarrie.