Star Wars is better than everything

Jay

16 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I still loved the episode.

Me too.  Like I said yesterday:

22 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It’s nice when Star Wars gets scores I like, too bad when they don’t.

I'm pretty good at not letting mediocre scores keep me from enjoying the story.

One thing I really like about both Rebels and Bad Batch, in comparison to Clone Wars, is that they both benefit from focusing on a core group of characters every episode, and feeling like we're on a continuous journey with those characters, while still giving me heaping helpings of cool lore and connections to the larger universe.

Telling the story of transition from Republic to Empire through the lens of these specific divergent clones.

Telling the story of the organization of the Rebellion through the lens of this specific Rebel cell.

TCW jumped around too much, and often struggled to make distinct story arcs feel like they were connected to or built on each other in any way.

I just watched Andor over the weekend. To me, except for Rogue One, it makes everything else Disney has done look painfully simplistic. I'll be interested to see how it ties in to Rogue One.

And where is everyone complaining about politics in Star Wars now? I've been hearing crap about the (one!) senate scene in TPM for 20 years, but nothing now, lol. 

As for Clone Wars, I love the breadth and imagination on display in that series. "Filler" episodes get a bad rap, in general. Our lives are not so laser focused and devoid of tangents, why should a show be? If I had a complaint (and it is a minor one) about everything that came after the OT, is that each new gap filled in by the story risked making the GFFA feel a little smaller. The Clone Wars, with it's ability to go from The Zillo Beast, to The Banking Clan, and back to A Sunny Day in the Void worked to make the galaxy feel big again.

3 hours ago, Schilkeman said:

And where is everyone complaining about politics in Star Wars now? I've been hearing crap about the (one!) senate scene in TPM for 20 years, but nothing now, lol. 

Proof that it was always the execution and not the subject matter

28 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

Proof that it was always the execution and not the subject matter

I disagree, but whatever. Nothing about this film has ever bothered me. That scene is important and well-acted. I see nothing wrong with it.

5 hours ago, Schilkeman said:

Because it's not "I don't like the guy who's currently president in the United States."

The Empire and the Emperor were supposedly based on Watergate. But I defy anyone to tie any scene in Star Wars to any event or figure in 1970's U.S. politics. Maybe it's because I was little but I also don't recall any interviews with Lucas at the time making the comparison.

Lucas was not shy in early 2000's comparing his films to current U.S. political figures. IIRC, one of the Andor cast (I think it was Fiona Shaw) tried to go down that road before Andor aired but 1) people started seeing the show and 2) I think she was overtaken by real world events. OTOH I did just find another interview where she said that she was misquoted and I can't find the original. (I'm also not looking too hard because the quotes would violate board rules.)

49 minutes ago, Schilkeman said:

I definitely think there’s more going on in the prequels. At this point, I don’t really differentiate between the two. 

One of them has a cast that is legendary because of Star Wars. The other has a cast who managed to become (or stay) legendary in spite of Star Wars.

Tbh, the Empire has been portrayed at being mostly incompetent when dealing with enemies, specially in the more kid-oriented stuff. It's ridiculous how many times the rebels escaped through their fingers in SW media.

When I want to get my Tom Baker voice going I now say "Kanan Jarrus, JEDI KNIGHT!"

Season 2 did Darth Vader before and better than Rogue One and Obi-Wan Kenobi. "If that doesn't kill him, what will?!?" "NOT US!"

"I'm not afraid of you!" "Then you will die braver than most."

Rebels Vader is the best Vader.

Random q:

I noticed in episode 1 of Andor, they told us when it takes place by putting "BBY 5" on screen

Why "BBY 5" instead of "5 BBY" ?

Is this something that's been consistent across SW media the whole time?  Inconsistent?  Inconsistent pre-Disney, but consistent since?

Thanks!

It's definitely an inconsistency, even post-Disney it's been # BBY/ABY and not BBY/ABY #, Andor's the only piece of Disney SW media I know of that uses the latter.

Well in Andor it was BBY 5

5 BBY makes more sense to me!

Though what would make more sense would be if they came up with an in-universe numbering system that the characters would actually know and use

Not that I would’ve noticed without this post drawing my attention to it, but why not just use the Latin syntax that is used in the Gregorian calendar? Of course, that would mean that Andor did it wrong.

The comparison would be how “BC” and “AD” are used. Traditionally, “BC” is placed after the year number, while "AD" comes before the year number.

For example:

• 5 BC would compare to 5 BBY, and
  • AD 5 would compare to ABY 5

The ending of Rebels was a bit of a bummer for me. I enjoyed the show, but I consider it a follow-up to Clone Wars, and Ahsoka's (and Ezra's) story doesn't get finished. Instead, I have to watch a third series in a time-period and canon I have little interest in. Also, Ashley Eckstein is Ahsoka to me, and I don't see why, with the amount of prosthetics and make-up used for that role, she couldn't have been cast. 

I also dislike the Disney thing of having epilogues at the end of a lot of the stories. A number of the novels do this. It messes with the part of my brain that likes things sequential, but that's just me. 

7 hours ago, mstrox said:

I have no problem with them recasting animated roles in the live action, although I have to admit that Rosario Dawson has felt a little flat to me in the role thus far.

To be fair The Book of Boba did her (or anyone) no favors. I have to remember that I really liked her episode of Mando. 

My kids are catching up through the Rebels episodes they missed when I would binge them after they went to bed :lol:.

I just heard my daughter in the other room randomly yell at the TV, "GET YOUR LASER SWORD OUT, STUPID!"

10 hours ago, Tallguy said:

To be fair The Book of Boba did her (or anyone) no favors

I give myself 6 months before I'm just a straight up full on Boba defender.  I'm probably too lazy to do anything more than just post "It was pretty ok, actually!" every now and then though :P 

19 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I give myself 6 months before I'm just a straight up full on Boba defender.  I'm probably too lazy to do anything more than just post "It was pretty ok, actually!" every now and then though :P 

It WAS pretty OK. And part of what made it OK was that none of the characters were well done. It was fun. The Tusken  stuff was pretty cool. Nice to see Cad Bane.

As someone who was thoroughly bored by Boba Fett starting with the moment he actually appeared in Empire it was amazing to me that The Mandalorian had episodes that made me excited about the character and made me actually looking forward to him getting his own show. And then they managed to piss it all away.

If I don't care about that stuff then sure, Book of Boba was mostly fun to watch. I didn't even mind the speeder kids.

OK, riding the Rancor was pretty bad ass.

I like Boba!  As in, the character.  He's not exactly a do-gooder at the end.  He's learned how to have a clan, a community, to lead and care for, but he ain't exactly running a democracy in Mos Espa lol and he's still more than willing to engage in criminal and violent activities, just now it's for the enrichment and benefit of Mos Espa the community, not just himself

Unlike everyone who's like "I hope we never see Tatooine again!", I want more!  I want more of Boba as samurai gangster dictator of a desert city!

And yes yes episodes 5 and 6 were basically just Mandalorian season 2.5, which was a bit disconcerting at first.  But I did actually like those two episodes as episodes of The Mandalorian.  So I basically think of it like this: Book of Boba Fett, the show about Boba Fett, is a 5 episode series.  You can watch it as 5 episodes and it works just fine with Mando/Grogu showing up to help, not knowing the immediate backstory of how he got there (you'd have edit in the, like, two scenes relevant to Boba from eps 5 and 6).  At the same time we got a two episode check-in with The Mandalorian to set up season 3.  Great!  Works for me!

There, that's my shitty stream of consciousness defense of the show.

I’ve returned to Charles Soule’s Darth Vader comics series that takes place right after Revenge of the Sith.  I’m up through the Mon Cala arc now.  It’s…. Ok.  I don’t enjoy action-heavy comics usually, and this series gives Vader such insane God-like Dark Side power that it just doesn’t gibe at all with really any other portrayal of him.  But there are things to like here.

I was a much bigger fan of the Vader run between Star Wars and Empire.  Generally, the Star Wars comics from Marvel have been more successful when they are simple, but unfortunately they’ve been getting really convoluted with events and crossovers.

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I’ve returned to Charles Soule’s Darth Vader comics series that takes place right after Revenge of the Sith.  I’m up through the Mon Cala arc now.  It’s…. Ok.  I don’t enjoy action-heavy comics usually, and this series gives Vader such insane God-like Dark Side power that it just doesn’t gibe at all with really any other portrayal of him.  But there are things to like here.

I don’t enjoy how much the current canon froths over Darth Vader, in the EU he was strong but not infallible such as when he was injured quite badly fighting 5 Jedi (including a Master) at once in the Dark Times comic series

The post-Disney Marvel comics have been... not good. I gave up on them almost immediately in 2014(?). Occasionally hear bits and pieces of things added to canon, mostly via the Darth Vader comics, and it all just sounds so terrible and fan-fictiony. Vader doesn't seem like real Vader at all.

I didn't like Doctor Aphra.  Not at all, she better not ever make the jump to TV/film.

I wonder how the High Republic comics are.  I haven't engaged with any High Republic stuff at all, but the comics would certainly be the lowest time investment part to try.

I’ve been letting them build up - my interest level has been too low to start.  I did read the IDW “adventures” (all ages) run from the period, and it was Just Okay (but still better than the main line’s Bounty Hunters stuff).

16 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I didn't like Doctor Aphra.  Not at all, she better not ever make the jump to TV/film.

A MUTEWORTHY OFFENSE

(at least for the Vader run and the first volume of her comic.  I’ve been less excited about the post-ESB run in vol. 2, although that has been true across the board with Marvel.

edit - end parenthesis 

• 3 weeks later...

It's kind funny that Disney bought Lucasfilm in 2012, gave us 5 feature films in five straight years (2015-2019), then will take 5 straight years off (2020-2024) before resuming

Nobody could have seen that coming

Rian Johnson's flat out isn't happening. 

As for the rest, I suspect most of them (especially Jenkins & Waititis), like Johnson's, have been/will be quietly shelved. If I had to guess, I'd say Lindelof's is the most likely to happen.

I don't think Johnson, Waititi, Jenkins or even Feige get to make a Star Wars film.

And I've really been asking myself on what type of movie it should be. All the movies & tv series up to this point have happened in roughly 100 years in the timeline.

I feel it is most interesting to make films about 100's or maybe 1000's of years before The Phantom Menace or 100's of years after The Rise Of Skywalker. Give me something completely new.

Different types of characters, aliens, ships, weapons, planets etc. 

Then they can continue with stories like Mando, Ahsoka, Bad Batch, Andor etc. in shows. I think that format works really for Star Wars.

But I really feel they need to let go of 'The Skywalker' period. Explore the unexplored!

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I feel it is most interesting to make films about 100's or maybe 1000's of years before The Phantom Menace or 100's of years after The Rise Of Skywalker. Give me something completely new.

Wouldn't that kind of lose the point?

I think "Cinematic Universes" have completely lost the plot insofar as they make a very basic mistake which is: The story doesn't exist to showcase the world, the world exists to stage the story.

Now, you can do a Star Wars film or show that is only peripherally connected to the main thrust of the story like Solo. But if you're doing  film or a show that's so far removed from that story that its not even on speaking terms with it, it loses its raison d'être.

A story in the distant past long before the Skywalker story could absolutely work, especially since we don't even know what happened to make the Jedi think the Sith had become extinct. I think a film or two exploring that time, (prior to the High Republic they're currently exploring in books currently) the origins of the Jedi vs the Sith, could absolutely be interesting.

Post-Skywalker could also be very interesting and could work - evil didn't die with the Emperor/Empire and just has a new form for the future Jedi to take on.

1 hour ago, Giftheck said:

I think a film or two exploring that time, (prior to the High Republic they're currently exploring in books currently) the origins of the Jedi vs the Sith, could absolutely be interesting.

I think if you're going to explore something as far back as the origins of the Sith and Jedi order you run into the trouble that some more recent prequels - Prometheus, The Rings of Power - have run into which is that to depict creation myths on screen is to depict the undepictable. Its one of those things that can only ever be demystifying.

1 hour ago, Giftheck said:

Post-Skywalker could also be very interesting and could work - evil didn't die with the Emperor/Empire and just has a new form for the future Jedi to take on.

As was the case back in Return of the Jedi, you're asked to believe that yes, evil did die.

Endings should be left well alone.

16 hours ago, Jay said:

There will be at SIX YEARS between theatrical Star Wars films. 

After Rise of Skywalker in December 2019, the next  one on the schedule is for December 2025.  And the one after that is December 2027

Reveal hidden contents

They've announced so many potential theatrical feature films were in development...

1. Rian Johnson's trilogy
  2. Patty Jenkin's Rogue Squadron
  3. Taika Waititi's ???
  4. Damon Lindelof's ???
  5. Shawn Levy's ???
  6. Kevin Feige's ???

Which one are we getting in 2025 - or none of the above?

16 years between ROTJ and Phantom Menace, 10 between ROTS and The Force Awakens. These things happen.