Star Wars is better than everything

Jay

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Type "Grogu" into google search today and there's an easter egg thingy

That's been there for a while, actually. But still fun.

All three of the original trilogy soundtrack albums are now available in Spatial Audio on Apple Music. I have not seen this posted anywhere else on the forums so I thought you might want to give them a listen.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

A bunch of Star Wars Visions albums, and something called "Galactic Starcruiser" was released today too

https://www.disneymusiclicensing.com/albums?orderBy=original_release_date&orderDest=desc

Galactic Starcruiser is the name of the luxury Star Wars “resort” experience in Florida, which seems like my nightmare.  This must be some of the background music.

Each May the 4th I think "today would be a cool day to announce the complete scores."

I do wonder though...when it does eventually happen in 2077, will it just come out of the clear blue sky on an unimportant date, a surprise to be sure but a welcome one? Or will it be something obvious...May 4th, May 25th, Christmas time, alongside the release of secret Episode X JW score 4CD set, etc etc. 

Fun to daydream about at least. 

• 2 weeks later...

Reading the Entertainment Weekly thread on the best Star Wars music and seeing Cantina Band and Niamos! (Morlana Club Mix) from Andor, it occurred to me that Benny Goodman was about 40 years out of date when Star Wars was made. So if anyone wants to follow JW's lead from Star Wars for source music they should be digging into... Disco? Prog rock?

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

... if anyone wants to follow JW's lead from Star Wars for source music they should be digging into... Disco? Prog rock?

TALES FROM KAMINOAN OCEANS 

SELLING DEATH STARS BY THE POUND 

... AND THEN THERE WERE THREE... WITH MILLION MORE WELL ON THE WAY

"Death Star Inferno" 

"I will Survive (for about 26 years)" 

2 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Reading the Entertainment Weekly thread on the best Star Wars music and seeing Cantina Band and Niamos! (Morlana Club Mix) from Andor, it occurred to me that Benny Goodman was about 40 years out of date when Star Wars was made. So if anyone wants to follow JW's lead from Star Wars for source music they should be digging into... Disco? Prog rock?

My understanding is that, in the event, the Cantina wasn’t temp-ed with Benny Goodman, but with some undisclosed Glenn Miller piece.

I could look this up, but I'd rather be publicly ignorant: Is there much of a time difference between Goodman and Miller?

Looked it up anyway. There is not. (Good heavens! Goodman was alive until 1986?!? I knew Miller went missing during WWII.)

I could have sworn that it was temped with Sing, Sing, Sing. But I could be very wrong of course.

From the Star Wars liner notes:

Ben and Luke enter a Mos Eisley cantina in search of a space pilot to get them off Tatooine. Ben meets Chewbacca while Luke gets in a fight with several surly creatures. Ben comes to his rescue. "Can you imagine," George Lucas suggested, "several creatures in a future century finding some 1930‘s Benny Goodman swing band music in a time capsule or under a rock someplace - and how they might attempt to interpret it?"

It certainly sounds more like Benny Goodman, whatever the temp was.

13 hours ago, Tallguy said:

they should be digging into... Disco? Prog rock?

Is there a 70's equivalent to white-ified regressions of art music into popular music? Swing stands alone, I think.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

46 years and we still haven't heard the original opening of the end credits

I don't know this piece of lore.

OTOH, the version used in the film is absolutely perfect and pretty much unmatched. And it was made even better by The Empire Strikes Back making it part of "the tradition" (or whatever).

2 hours ago, Jay said:

The music we think of as "The Throne Room" and "End Titles" was originally written by Williams as one long single cue: 12M2 End Titles.

When it got to the recording stage on March 12th, they recorded it in two pieces.

bars 1-51 = "The Throne Room"

bars 52-end = "End Title"

Later, Williams beefed up the first 9 bars (52-60) of the end credits opening, and these new bars were recorded on March 16th along with the original bars 61-72 in order to easily slot the new recording into the existing one.  They called this new 21-bar recording 12M2X.

"Beefed up," as in, "Beefed up the orchestration"?  I guess the part of this story that always frustrated me in the past is that we always knew that the crossover replaced the original intro for the end credits, but we never learned what was changed about it!

In the absence of any evidence to the contrary, I always had a pet theory that the original intro was in a higher key, and essentially matched the concert piece and the later movies' end titles.  At the very least, I now have enough information to know that isn't the case.  I wish we could learn more, though.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

If you listen closely to the original analog edition of the Star Wars original soundtrack (IE, the original vinyl, or the early 90s 2-CD set) you can CLEARLY hear the bad 1977-era analog edit as "The Throne Room" transitions into 12M2X, and when 12M2X transitions into the rest of the end credits.

For the 1993 4-CD anthology, the edits were redone digitally and sound much smoother, and same with the 1997 2-CD set.

I can actually hear the edit in the Anthology, too.  I can only assume it was worse on the 1977 OST.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

The music we think of as "The Throne Room" and "End Titles" was originally written by Williams as one long single cue: 12M2 End Titles.

When it got to the recording stage on March 12th, they recorded it in two pieces.

bars 1-51 = "The Throne Room"

bars 52-end = "End Title"

Later, Williams beefed up the first 9 bars (52-60) of the end credits opening, and these new bars were recorded on March 16th along with the original bars 61-72 in order to easily slot the new recording into the existing one.  They called this new 21-bar recording 12M2X.

If you listen closely to the original analog edition of the Star Wars original soundtrack (IE, the original vinyl, or the early 90s 2-CD set) you can CLEARLY hear the bad 1977-era analog edit as "The Throne Room" transitions into 12M2X, and when 12M2X transitions into the rest of the end credits.

For the 1993 4-CD anthology, the edits were redone digitally and sound much smoother, and same with the 1997 2-CD set.

The original opening of the end credits is the only thing recorded for Star Wars that didn't make it onto the 1997 2-CD set, and remains unreleased to this day.

Here's the page of the 1997 2-CD set's booklet that shows the recording dates, and takes used

image.png

I've read before that the original end credits opening was audible on track 1 of the OST, but I don't remember hearing any differences between that and the actual end credits track which had the insert

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Well, here's a mockup of it

Nope, definitely not there.  It's completely unreleased.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Even allowing for the fact that it’s a mock-up it’s considerable more awkward than the final version, cycling through a couple of ideas before hitting the point where we rejoin the credits music as we know it. Prime time to repeat my affection for the original (used!) version of the finale/end credits segue over the later versions. Much prefer the chasing strings than the brassier version from Empire onwards. 

Wow. What we got is so much better. (Of course that might be 46 years of familiarity talking.)

I'm not sure I have the original CD in my library at the moment. Whatever I have as "Star Wars (LP)" is probably from later sources and I can't hear the edit. (And dammit, I just remembered I don't have a CD drive right now. That does it. Time to fix that.)

22 hours ago, Jay said:

Thank you so much for this, Jay!

Listening to this over the course from yesterday to today, I can really see how this was a natural start to the End Title, and how the crossover kinda "crammed" the Main Theme into those few intro bars before the Rebel Fanfare.

The crossover is 100% better for sure, but as my interest in Alternates goes, that's never been the point.  The point is being able to listen to and compare them in the first place.

What do you think of my Star Trek movie ranking?

Star Trek 4 "The Voyage Home" 1986 1
Star Trek 2 "The Wrath of Khan" 1982 2
Star Trek 1 "The Motion Picture" 1979 3
Star Trek 3 "The Search for Spock" 1984 4
Star Trek 8 "First Contact" 1996 5
Star Trek 6 "The Undiscovered Country" 1991 6
Star Trek 11  2009 7
Star Trek 12 "Into Darkness" 2013 8
Star Trek 5 "The Final Frontier" 1988 9
Star Trek 7 "Generations" 1994 9
Star Trek 13 "Beyond" 2016 10
Star Trek 9 "Insurrection" 1998 12
Star Trek 10 "Nemesis" 2002 13

Since the new stuff sucks, I've been reading a lot of the old novels I never read back in the day. Most of it really scratches the itch.

I'm on book 4 of the X-Wing novels, did the Thrawn trilogy and Plagueis. 

Anyone want to discuss? I'll add that I've been using the audiobooks too. I don't know why they chose what they did for Wedge's voice in X-Wing. 

On 25/05/2023 at 9:43 AM, Jay said:

Well, I took this sample and tried my best to merge it a little more cleanly with what we have.  Here's the result (I ran under the assumption that bar 52 is the iris out and not the spot where the mockup actually started):