Star Wars is better than everything

Jay

All the reports make it sound like the Season 2 finale. 

95% of the episode spent on uninspired nonsense and then an anticlimactic resolution to what everyone was waiting for!

This seems to be a thing w/Abrams, and it's disappointing. He also did it in Stark Trek, when a bunch of cadets suddenly started acting like experienced officers and were given senior positions on the ship.

17 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

If there's anyone in Star Wars that is a Gary Stu, it's Luke.

Fixed.

Luke fits the bill more: he's practically uncorruptible, and he was able to guide torpedoes through a shaft without a targeting computer on his first try, without any training in the Force.

3 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

This seems to be a thing w/Abrams, and it's disappointing. He also did it in Stark Trek, when a bunch of cadets suddenly started acting like experienced officers and were given senior positions on the ship.

Stark Trek? I know Thor was in the film, but I don't remember seeing any of the other Avengers.

OK, hang on to your hats, folks! We have a crapload of new info on upcoming SW films, courtesy of Star Wars News Net. I am really, really excited about what I've read, but some of this could well provoke very negative reactions. Remember, though, that A) these are officially unconfirmed and B) there will be a lot more to the stories than reported here, of course. This apparently comes from the same source that gave SWNN the "three returning planets in the ST" info from a few days ago. 

Lucasfilm’s Plans for the Future: Things We’ve Heard About Upcoming Star Wars Projects! | Star Wars News Net

Here's my quick summary of what's in the pipeline beyond 2019's Episode IX, based on this article:

- Ewan McGregor will star in an Obi-Wan anthology film set between ROTS and ANH. Kathleen Kennedy was happy with Gareth Edwards' work on Rogue One, so he may be returning for that film. This film may be announced at SW Celebration next month.

- An anthology film including Boba Fett. It will likely not be an origin story, and will focus on a group of bounty hunters, rather than Fett specifically. 

- A young-adult film including a tragic love story. It could have a female director. It is likely not a Lost Stars book adaptation.

- There will be a hiatus in films, starting a few years after the sequel trilogy's conclusion. Lucasfilm wants to be very careful to leave fans wanting more rather than fatiguing them. 

- Star Wars on television will become a big focus soon. The next TV project "might be more in-tune with the existing story arcs of the Star Wars saga instead of 'filling in gaps' like The Clone Wars and Rebels have," whatever that means.

- There will be a fourth saga trilogy, but it will happen after the aforementioned hiatus in SW films, because "SW is a generational thing."

I'll save my thoughts on this for another post, but in general I'm hyped. :woop::woop:

If the Obi-wan spinoff in 2020 is gonna happen, I wish Lucasfilm would stop cramming all the new spinoffs into the period between ROTS and ANH. Rogue One and the Han Solo movie also take place during that time, and I presume the Boba Fett movie would as well. New standalone movies need to be spread throughout the Star Wars timeline, not clumped together between two saga movies.

Other than that, sounds great! We are living in the Star Wars renaissance!

This website doesn't have nearly the same strike rate as MSW. 

I also highly doubt the gap after episode 9. 

No reason to think they would. They've increased rather than decreased Marvel movies so why do it with Star Wars?

17 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Nothing we didn't expect (except that young-adult tragic love story. Twilight in space?). Disney keeps on playing it safe...

If that is like the novel Lost Stars, it might be pretty good! That was a good novel, that was. :D

OK, I finally have time to do my rambling about this news!

First, as to the authenticity of the report: 

15 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

This website doesn't have nearly the same strike rate as MSW. 

I also highly doubt the gap after episode 9. 

No reason to think they would. They've increased rather than decreased Marvel movies so why do it with Star Wars?

I haven't followed SWNN as closely as I have MSW in the past, so I can't personally guarantee that they're super-trustworthy like MSW. However, none of this information seems particularly out of line to me, so I'm going to be believe it's true unless proven otherwise, however unwise that course of action may be from a completely rational perspective.

Anyway, assuming that the report is on the money...

- Regarding the Obi-Wan film, this Cinelinx article from 2015 may be interesting: http://www.cinelinx.com/rumor-control/item/6511-exclusive-is-disney-lucasfilm-developing-a-trilogy-of-obi-wan-star-wars-movies.html

It lines up with what SWNN reported -- that there were three different stories being considered regarding Obi-Wan. SWNN confirms what Cinelinx speculated, that it will be one film, not three -- they'll presumably pick one of the three pitches.

According to Cinelinx, the three pitches involve (based on concept art at the time):

One set completely on Tatooine and two where Obi-Wan travels elsewhere in the Galaxy. 

Qui-Gon Jinn is very much present in these stories.  So too is Owen Lars. Several characters from the Clone Wars T.V show would make an appearance.  There would be flashbacks to Obi-Wan fighting in the Clone Wars.

I do hope the final film involves Obi-Wan traveling off world. 

- The Boba Fett film sounds really awesome. It sounds like it might just be the true ensemble suspense/action/adventure film that Rogue One was supposed to be but wasn't. 

- The young adult story is obviously the one with the biggest chance of disaster, but I'm really excited for it because I think it may also have the biggest chance of awesomeness. "The 'love story' angle has more in common with Han & Leia’s romance in The Empire Strikes Back than anything else," according to the article, which will hopefully serve to comfort fans for the time being. The Lost Stars book was absolutely terrific, and if this story is anything like that it will be a great story. Obviously, romance doesn't necessarily translate so well from the page to the screen (where there is much more room for awkwardness), but given what Lucasfilm has done so far I am confident (some would say naive) that they will continue producing good, and even great, films. 

I do wonder about the backlash that could follow from giving the first female SW director a film about a young adult romance... 

- I'm overjoyed at the report of a hiatus in the 2020s! To those who think Lucasfilm wouldn't do it: Remember, there will have been one film a year for seemingly at least eight years before that happens (it seemingly would start in 2023 at the earliest). They will ultimately do whatever they think will make them the most money, but in any case I think a hiatus would ultimately make the fans very happy because it would show that Disney was not going to "destroy Star Wars" through over-saturation (at least in the near term!) I would certainly welcome this hiatus, at any rate, especially because...

- The article hints at two things: One, that an increased emphasis on TV shows might help fill the hiatus in films, and two, that Lucasfilm does own other properties than just Star Wars that can they work on. It didn't mention this, but as soon as they noted that, I thought, Indiana Jones! Bob Iger has spoke of doing more Indiana Jones films after Ford's last in 2019, and what better time to get that franchise rolling again than during something of a SW drought? (Obviously, they could lose 2019's momentum by waiting a few years, so that would be one downside for them, I suppose.)

- I would definitely support the fourth trilogy waiting a few years after Episode IX. I think doing anything else would cheapen this trilogy's story, as well as the final contributions of a certain composer to the saga. ;)

- Lastly, I find it very interesting that Kathleen Kennedy was supposedly so impressed with Gareth Edwards that he may return for the Obi-Wan film. 

As the article notes, it may be hard to tell if this article was based on legitimate information for a long time. However, for now I'll just assume it is and stay excited for the future of Star Wars. It's actually a little sobering to read this article and realize that I may be out of college when the hiatus begins. By the 2020s, I may not have as much time for Star Wars anymore. Luckily, the sequel trilogy will finish while I'm still in high school, perhaps fittingly at a time that in many ways will mark the end of my childhood. 

Anyway, as @JohnSolo said, I think it's great that we're getting a Star Wars renaissance right now! I love that Lucasfilm is so in tune with what the fans want. It's easy to be cynical and complain about corporate money-grabbing and lack of originality and all that, but I'm confident that future films will bring new styles to the Star Wars universe, and I feel very excited about the future of George Lucas' franchise. :woop:

So far, we've been getting quality films.

Rogue One was great, even if it was rather messy, and TFA was fine, despite its derivative storyline.

Thats why Star Trek Is Better Than Everything, Alvar. We have both the quality and quantity covered!

Just now, JohnSolo said:

So far, we've been getting quality films.

Rogue One? Quality? Wasnt It shockingly mediocre? Is that what Star Wars is now?

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Thats why Star Trek Is Better Than Everything, Alvar. We have both the quality and quantity covered!

Rogue One? Quality? Wasnt It shockingly mediocre? Is that what Star Wars is now?

"Shockingly mediocre"? That's your opinion, not mine, and certainly not the majority of Star Wars fans out there. You're a self-professed Trekkie, remember that.

And on Netflix, as I recall, almost all of the ST series on there have an average rating of two stars.

6 hours ago, JohnSolo said:

And on Netflix, as I recall, almost all of the ST series on there have an average rating of two stars.

You do know the ratings you see on Netflix are not the actual average of all users, right?  It's the average of people that Netflix thinks would vote like you, according to their algorithm.  All the Trek series show up as having an average rating of 4-5 stars for me.

Anyway, my wife and I are re-watching all of TNG from the beginning.  Just got to "Measure of a Man."  What an episode!

This is a year old, but just came across it:

Apparently it was made with this site:

http://talkobamato.me/

Cool!

I just made my own! ;)

http://talkobamato.me/synth/output/ca3ef9ca843dee28bd8be9d58ab6bcd2/obama.mp4

It would be nice if Babylon 5 were offered on one of the streaming services. I'd legitimately like to watch it. I don't know if I want to own it, as I'd be buying it for a second time. The DVD sets are still pricey. 

The Force.net Jedi Council Forums have done an absolutely incredible April Fools' prank today. Still can't get over how great it is.

In short, they seem to have changed every film title to that of a Disney princess film.

So we get thread titles like this (not spoilers, just didn't want to take up space):

Spoiler

Diversity in the The Princess and the Frog (see warning on page 11)

Frank Oz (Yoda) in Moana

Cinderella's Lineage/Parentage/Name

What would make you so mad that you would walk out of Moana?

Unnamed Future Princess Film Title Speculation

John Williams to Score Disney Princesses Moana

Harrison Ford (Han Solo) in Tangled

Resistence Vehicles in Moana? 

Etc.

There are a few really clever changes, like "George Lucas" to "Walt Disney."

I'd suggest reading through a few of the threads if you want a good laugh. The one thing is that it's very difficult to tell what people are talking about!!

For instance, here's a post in this thread - http://boards.theforce.net/threads/walt-disney-and-the-mystery-of-the-treatment.50014197/ (again, not an actual spoiler):

Spoiler

Here is what we know from various interviews and announcements.

• Disney had given Disney 3 finished treatments for Tangled - IX
  • The Original plan was for The Emperor to not appear in Sleeping Beauty or Cinderella but only in Tangled and to die in EP IX on Hadd Abbadon which is orbited by two death stars. The The Princess and the Frog would have had Luke's Sister(not Leia) show up. Also, no Death Star II in Cinderella and Han Solo dies. But one of the good guys who's not from the Big 3 comes back in the The Princess and the Frog.
  • The writer of Disney' biography saw treatments of 12 Disney Princesses movies(so if we assume that the The Little Mermaid is among these 12 we are one trilogy short)
  • EP VII was at one point called Shadows of the Sith(a very good one for the first appearance of Palps)

:lol::lol::lol:

I logged on this morning and saw one of my posts talking about "the Frozen art book." I was very flustered and couldn't figure out how I would have made that typo, so I was about to change it when I saw other Disney princess films all over my post. I was totally flustered and finally remembered it was April Fools' Day. Sent me for a bit of a spin. 

17 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Who cares?

We have more important matters to discuss! Tell us how you feel about Star Trek, Will!

17 hours ago, Stefancos said:

That's a good question actually!

The only Star Trek films I've seen are the reboots, which were enjoyable but nothing too special. 

On 3/31/2017 at 11:27 PM, Stefancos said:

Don't you ever have homework, Will?

Yes haha. But not as much as last year, and I stay up late (yes, I know, bad habit).