Star Wars is better than everything

Jay

Can I just express that I don't particularly care about Star Wars, but I actually freakin' LOVE Rey? Her theme also gets stuck in my head now and then, whereas I don't remember what Yoda's theme sounds like. 

• 2 weeks later...

40 years ago today, the most popular and influential movie series in the history of cinema made its debut, in a mere 32 theaters, with the release of a low-budget sci-fi film, by an aspiring filmmaker by the name of George Lucas, called Star Wars. No one knew that that film, who even its maker thought would bomb, would become the highest grossing film of all time for half a decade, garner 11 Oscar nods and 7 wins, introduce the most instantly recognizable movie theme in history, and influence the childhoods of millions of children across the world. Even today, its presence and everlasting influence is felt everywhere, not the least of which is in the hearts and memories of those who happened to watch that immortal film for the first time in 1977.

History speaks for itself. Cinema has never been the same again.                                                                                                                    

4 hours ago, JohnSolo said:

No one knew that that film, who even its maker thought would bomb, would become the highest grossing film of all time for half a decade, garner 11 Oscar nods and 7 wins, introduce the most instantly recognizable movie theme in history, and influence the childhoods of millions of children across the world.                                                

There's a great George Lucas interview on the making of Star Wars moderated by Christopher Nolan (recommended viewing for today!) and he told a funny story at the very end of it where he said he showed an early cut to all his writer and director friends. He claimed Spielberg was the only one who believed in it and even proclaimed it was going to be the "biggest film in the history of movies." They all thought he was completely nuts, including Lucas.

I'm sorry, but I lost all interest in that, when I read "moderated by Christopher Nolan".

As for "the biggest film in history", what Spielberg said was "George, this film is going to do 30 million". It is true that Lucas showed a rough cut to De Palma, Coppola, Spielberg, and, maybe, Scorsese, and Milius. Everyone derided it...apart from Spielberg.

Happy "belated" anniversary Star Wars. 40 years of for better or worse sci-fi epic films, most on average fairly entertaining thankfully. 

Still have fond memories of marathoning he original trilogy on VHS back in the day. We even had a Star Wars related Christmas on a cruise we went to Costa Rica when I was like six years old. Good times!

1 hour ago, kaseykockroach said:

Is it possible to express fondness for Rey/Daisy Ridley without drawing in obligatory contrarian comments from the "SHE'S A MARY SUE!" crowd, or am I better off keeping my trap shut?

Rey's a wonderful character and Daisy Ridley's great in the part.

tenor.gif

THANK YOU!! YOU'RE PROBABLY JOKING, BUT STILL, THANKS!

(No, really, I recently mentioned Rey in a facebook post and almost all the comments were "Rey is such a mary sue, she has no weaknesses", etc. Depressing? Yeah, kinda..)

EXACTLY! Those OT saps can have their whiny brat Luke, Rey could kick his ass in her sleep. 

That said, I am nervous that Kylo Ren will have a B.S redemption arc of some sort. I want him to die by means of shark mauling or lightsaber decapitation or something. 

1 hour ago, kaseykockroach said:

Is it possible to express fondness for Rey/Daisy Ridley without drawing in obligatory contrarian comments from the "SHE'S A MARY SUE!" crowd, or am I better off keeping my trap shut?

You won't find many of those kind of comments here, thankfully.  From my experience, those people mostly reside in the more "public" online forums (Youtube, Facebook, IMDB)

The only reason I don't have a Rey plush doll to hug when depressed is because, one, I have a dog and a cat so I already have a decent supply of cuddles, and two, because I want to keep the few friends I have and three, because I can't afford a plush doll and would rather spend that money on dog/cat food and soundtrack CD's. 

9 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

The only reason I don't have a Rey plush doll to hug when depressed is because, one, I have a dog and a cat so I already have a decent supply of cuddles, and two, because I want to keep the few friends I have and three, because I can't afford a plush doll and would rather spend that money on dog/cat food and soundtrack CD's. 

76dec99ed342fe6a021b3bc7592e5f4a.gif