Opinions regarding Horner's Krull

karelm

Brainstorm is a good, if compromised movie, directed ny Douglass Trumball. (compromised because the lead actress, Natalie Wood dies before she could finish her scenes)

Visually interesting. With shades of the "conspiracy" genre of the 1970's mixed with some 2001.

The Name Of The rose is a very atmospheric murder mystery set in the dark ages, with Connery as an enlightened monk. Christian Slater is his apprentice and has a smoking hot sexual encounter with a local peasant girl.

O.k. Plug-in. Set the way-back machine for 30 years ago.

"Brainstorm" was hamstrung by the death (and everything else) of Natile Wood, but it is a decent attempt to explore to subject of life-after-death. It all gets a bit cod-religious towards the end, but it has fine performances from the 4 principals. The subject of death seems to be a recurring topic in Bruce Joel Rubin scripts...

"TNOTR" cannot even hope to do justice to the book, but it is a brave attempt to put it on-screen. I mean this as a compliment when I say that it is the ugliest film I have ever seen. Ron ("no sav-ay, no sav-ay!") Perlman is great.

So there's not even a shadows and dust scene with Natalie Wood then?

No need for "shadows and dust" with Nat. Most of her stuff was filmed, so a little re-jigging was all that was neded.

THE NAME OF THE ROSE is one of the best purely synthesized scores i have ever heard, with a medieval love theme foreshadowing BRAVAHEART but all the dark and gloomy liturgical, at least clerical passages make it a really unique entry not only for Horner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yui5CWouj4

Aliens and The Rocketeer are my 2 favorite Horners, followed right up by The Wrath Of Khan, Search For Spock, Krull and Apollo 13. But ask me a different day and the order of the holy six could change

Is Krull the movie any good?

It is quite awful in my opinion. The music is really the best thing about it.

Lots. I just felt somewhat embarrassed for the film makers most of the movie.

Apollo 13 is my favorite Horner I think. It's the most straight-through listenable, tightly written, with little to no glaring Hornerisms, and chock full of nostalgia for me.

Apollo 13 is my favorite Horner I think. It's the most straight-through listenable, tightly written, with little to no glaring Hornerisms, and chock full of nostalgia for me.

?

It's full of SNEAKERS, PELICAN BRIEF, FAR OFF PLACE, ALIENS and that dreadful Annie-Lennox-singing. Easily digestible and well-produced, though today the syrupy children's chorus borders on unlistenable for me.

Though i find pedantic nit-picking about Horner's borrowings tiring usually, APOLLO 13 has stayed with me as an eye-opener as it was one of my earliest Horner purchases and i remember having a good laugh while watching CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER and SNEAKERS on pay tv around that time and realizing just how pragmatic Horner re-applied this stuff.

It kind of popped my cherry back then.

I think it's Horner's finest achievement. I think the quality of the music still holds up -- unlike Wrath of Khan (which I loved up until a few years ago) -- the depth and complexity of the score itself is noteworthy. I notice some minor similarities to Williams' SW scores, but the score is undeniably its own thing.

"Ride of the Firemares" is Horner's long-lined writing at his best -- and I never ever get tired of listening to it. The love theme is overwhelmingly rapturous, and its usage throughout the score is quite effective. It really elevates the movie from sloppy 1980s fantasy/sci-fi mix into something watchable.

I'm surprised Sony hasn't remade the film yet, to be honest.

What changed your mind about TWOK?

I don't know, honestly. It's still a very entertaining score, but it doesn't grab me like it used to. I remember being elated when FSM did a remastered edition, buying a copy, and it was still good -- not as great as I remembered it.

I wouldn't watch Krull again, but I remember chills going down my spine whenever the Ride of the Firemares scene started. A wonderful marriage of Horner's score and imagery.

Well, the English contributions to the Apollo program and safety returning Lovell, Haise, and Swigert to the Earth were certainly extensive. It's a shame the score didn't reflect the international collaboration with some ethnic excerpts of other cultures.

Its a bit too stars and stripes God bless America heroics for me.

I'm American, and I didn't hear any kind of Americana in Krull. Horner went overboard with the brass writing, but it didn't sound patriotic or sappy to me.

Now, I can hear Americana in Goldsmith's First Knight fanfare.

Its a bit too stars and stripes God bless America heroics for me.

I'm American, and I didn't hear any kind of Americana in Krull. Horner went overboard with the brass writing, but it didn't sound patriotic or sappy to me.

APOLLO 13, man!

• 7 years later...

I 've quickly compared the sound of the 2015 Krull vs the 1998 one... and there's not a so huuuuge difference.

I paid much for the 1998 version because the 2015 was OOP for a time (but was reprinted and is now available)... And well, I'm a bit disapointed that the enhancement with the newer version is so little!

Anyway, I now have the two versions!

On 8/8/2021 at 8:42 PM, Bespin said:

I 've quickly compared the sound of the 2015 Krull vs the 1998 one... and there's not a so huuuuge difference.

I paid much for the 1998 version because the 2015 was OOP for a time (but was reprinted and is now available)... And well, I'm a bit disapointed that the enhancement with the newer version is so little!

Anyway, I now have the two versions!

Sorry you inadvertently ended up paying a bit over the odds for it, but I have to agree that I couldn't really tell much difference in the sound quality of either version, both of which are pretty great. It's just tinkering around the edges at that point. Great score though, one of JH's best (although I think possibly passed up by those who prefer his later, more emotional stuff).

Colwyn and Lyssa is plenty emotional as it is, and all the better for not being as obvious about it as some of his later material in the vein. 

KRULL came right in the middle of (for me) Horner's golden period. In the space of 4 1/2 years, he composed (among others) ST II, BRAINSTORM, GORKY PARK, this, ST III, ALIENS, SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES, and COCOON, culminating with his masterpiece THE NAME OF THE ROSE.

Our James could do no wrong.

4/5.

PS, I'm not going to reveal how much I paid for the 2-CD set, in '98. Let's just say that I've been hopping around, ever since, and that I now wipe my bum with my left hand.

Ha!

I betcha I paid a lot for the 2CD SuperTracks Krull also! I probably bought it from Screen Archives, it might have been $30 or $40?

I've still never seen the film, but the music is great, absolutely during Horner's golden era!