Williams filmography in Bluray - a list

filmmusic

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone that is interested in The Eiger Sanction Bluray only (it has been released as part of an 8 film box), it is coming on February 20th in Greece.

Strange that I don't see standalone versions of these Eastwood films in any other part of the world.

Well, I'm sure they'll come eventually.

http://www.blu-rayshop.gr//product_info.php?products_id=12266&language=en

111711_large.jpg

Review:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Missouri-Breaks-Blu-ray/111711/#Review

This is a weird film.

If I bought it, I'd do it for the score and its 2 stars.

I really enjoyed the LP back in the day

• 2 weeks later...

Munich gets a wide release on May 5th.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/from-universal-pictures-home-entertainment-munich-300032368.html

From Universal Pictures Home Entertainment: MUNICH
STEVEN SPIELBERG'S OSCAR®-NOMINATED ACTION-THRILLER COMES TO BLU-RAY™ FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER

MUNICH

AVAILABLE EXCLUSIVELY AT BEST BUY FOR A LIMITED TIME STARTING FEBRUARY 10, 2015
UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif., Feb. 9, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Five men are sent on a deadly black-ops mission across Europe to avenge the murder of 11 Israeli athletes at the 1972 Olympics in Steven Spielberg's Oscar®-nominated action-thriller Munich, coming to Blu-ray™ for the first time ever on February 10, 2015, from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment. Digitally remastered and fully restored from original high resolution 35mm film elements, Munich celebrates its 10th anniversary and will be available on Blu-ray™ for a limited time exclusively at Best Buy. Munich will also be available nationally on Digital HD. The film, which was nominated for five Academy Awards® including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Editing and Best Original Score, is accompanied by over an hour of bonus features.

Directed by three-time Oscar-winner Steven Spielberg (Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List), Munich was written by Pulitzer Prize and Tony Award®-winner Tony Kushner ("Angels in America," Lincoln) and Oscar-winner Eric Roth (Forrest Gump), based on George Jonas' book Vengeance: The True Story of an Israeli Counter-Terrorist Team. The riveting international thriller stars Eric Bana (The Hulk), Daniel Craig (Skyfall), Geoffrey Rush (The King's Speech), Ciarán Hinds ("Game of Thrones"), Mathieu Kassovitz (Amelie), Hanns Zischler (Ripley's Game) and Ayelet Zurer (Angels & Demons).

Inspired by real events, Munich reveals the gripping story of an ultra-secret squad assigned by the Israeli government to track down and assassinate 11 terrorists believed to have planned the massacre of Israeli athletes at the 1972 Munich Olympics—and the personal toll this mission of revenge takes on the team and the man who led it.

Bonus Features

Introduction by Director Steven Spielberg
The Mission, The Team
Memories of the Event
Portrait of an Era
The On-Set Experience
The International Cast
Editing, Sound and Music
http://www.universalstudiosentertainment.com/munich/

FILMMAKERS:
Cast: Eric Bana, Daniel Craig, Geoffrey Rush
Directed By: Steven Spielberg
Written By: Tony Kushner, Eric Roth
Produced By: Kathleen Kennedy, Barry Mendel, Steven Spielberg, Colin Wilson
Director of Photography: Janusz Kaminski
Production Designer: Rick Carter
Edited By: Michael Kahn
Costume Designer: Joanna Johnston
Music By: John Williams

TECHNICAL INFORMATION - Blu-ray™:
Street Date: February 10, 2015
Copyright: 2015 Universal Studios. All Rights Reserved.
Selection Numbers: 61112191
Running Time: 2 hours 44 minutes
Layers: BD-50
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
Rating: R for strong graphic violence, some sexual content, nudity and language
Technical Info: English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, Dolby Digital 2.0 (Bonus Audio); French Canadian – DTS, Digital Surround 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish and French subtitles

About Universal Pictures Home Entertainment
Universal Pictures Home Entertainment is a unit of Universal Pictures, a division of Universal Studios (http://www.universalstudios.com). Universal Studios is a part of NBCUniversal, one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks, and a suite of leading Internet-based businesses. NBCUniversal is a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation.

Cecilia Sandoval
Director - Publicity
Cecilia.Sandoval@nbcuni.com
(818) 777-7364

SOURCE Universal Pictures Home Entertainment

And on the same day, the four new titles from the Spielberg boxset (Duel, The Sugarland Express, 1941, & Always) will be released individually.

AND ALSO from Universal that day: Clint Eastwood: The Universal Pictures 7-Movie Collection, including The Eiger Sanction!

And on the same day, the four new titles from the Spielberg boxset (Duel, The Sugarland Express, 1941, & Always) will be released individually.

I wish i could buy the individual ALWAYS bluray because I love the cover, but I just got the box and I'm not double-dipping.

always.jpg

Darn I should have sold my Limited Edition Munich DVD (studios were putting out movie-only releases and making the special features optional in the mid 2000s) for an inflated price on the used market before this announcement. It'll be pretty much useless now.

Darn I should have sold my Limited Edition Munich DVD (studios were putting out movie-only releases and making the special features optional in the mid 2000s) for an inflated price on the used market before this announcement. It'll be pretty much useless now.

I'm absolutely sure you can sell it now too!

Not all have turned to Bluray!

In fact I think most use still DVDs!!

30 Canadian dollars is about 21 Euro!

Ah but our sales tax is added after (unlike your VAT). So 34.50CAD before comparing to European currencies. That'll be 24 Euros. :P It's also NTSC.

If anyone is interested, How To Steal a Million is also available in Spain with English, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/How-to-Steal-a-Million-Blu-ray/119338/

The original English audio is DTS-HD MA 5.1 (coming from a BDinfo of the Bluray)

119338_large.jpg

Does the HTSAM BD only exist in a Spanish version?

There is also a Czech one, but that one doesn't have English subtitles. (video/audio bitrates are the same)

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/How-to-Steal-a-Million-Blu-ray/103531/

At this time my 5 most wanted unreleased titles:

1. Spacecamp (this is unfortunately with Disney so it's unlikely that we'll get a Bluray soon)

2. The Accidental Tourist (would love a Criterion of this)

3. Jaws 2

4. Black Sunday

5. Stanley and Iris

I think everything should be out on BD (or at least DVD), but if there's ONE title that cries out for a BD release, and which -- in fact -- only exists in a shoddy Italian DVD format at the present time, it's Robert Altman's IMAGES. A marvelous piece of cinema with Williams' most avantgarde score, as well as gorgeous photography by Vilmos Zsigmond, who I was fortunate to interview last year. This is one of my favourite films that John Wiliams scored (that isn't Spielberg).

I think everything should be out on BD (or at least DVD), but if there's ONE title that cries out for a BD release, and which -- in fact -- only exists in a shoddy Italian DVD format at the present time, it's Robert Altman's IMAGES. A marvelous piece of cinema with Williams' most avantgarde score, as well as gorgeous photography by Vilmos Zsigmond, who I was fortunate to interview last year. This is one of my favourite films that John Wiliams scored (that isn't Spielberg).

I don't know about the Italian but there is also a US one from MGM, NTSC, anamorphic.

http://www.amazon.com/Images-Susannah-York/dp/B00009Y3NA

edit: Hmm.. Seems to be OOP? The price is high for a DVD. (even for a Bluray!)

Yeah, prices are insane and the presentation isn't even good -- whether the Italian or the US version (which I wasn't aware existed).

Something needs to be done about this masterpiece!

I just popped it in to take a peak on the Panny Plasma... lets just say I don't think anyone's going to be dissapointed. There's no way this isn't a remaster. Still has that Spielberg 35mm grain level that he loves so much, but it's very richly detailed and I was looking from 3 feet away and I didn't notice any DNR or haloing or what not (Universal's bane). just from glancing at it for a few minutes I think it's about the same PQ as "The Terminal".

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=10416743&postcount=411

This was about Munich.

Judging from the screenshots of Terminal it looks outstanding, so it seems good news for Munich too..

I paid $30 for it when it was first released. I might give it a try. Any takers? ;)

I remember going to Best Buy on its release day only to find 2 copies of that special edition left. I had to go to Circuit City to find the one lone copy of United 93's special edition.

For anyone interested there are screenshots of Munich:

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=5584&disc2=5585&hd_multiID=2278#auswahl

(When you pick one screenshot and press 1920x1080 Fullscreen Comparison you see the comparison to DVD.)

• 1 month later...

I received today my Empire of the sun steelbook and the case is indeed a masterpiece!

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=10085166&postcount=37

For anyone that is interested in the film, and doesn't have the Bluray, I strongly suggest this version.

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/empire-of-the-sun-zavvi-exclusive-limited-edition-steelbook-ultra-limited/10996429.html?locover=true&switchcurrency=USD&autocomplete=productsuggestion

• 2 weeks later...

I was without internet for 2 days so I missed this news:

The Reivers (which features an Oscar nominated score by John Williams and was the one that got the attention of Spielberg) is coming on Bluray from Kino Lorber in August (first post updated):

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=16455

reivers_ver2.jpg

edit: I updated also first post with * theatrical cuts unreleased (of films that have Bluray releases already)

Can someone who is updated tell me how many films Williams has scored exactly? I would like to know the exact number. Not counting TV-episodes and such, although TV movies obviously count.

Can someone who is updated tell me how many films Williams has scored exactly? I would like to know the exact number. Not counting TV-episodes and such, although TV movies obviously count.

Do you count score adaptations too and films in which he has written a theme(s) or some cues too?

Do you count score adaptations too and films in which he has written a theme(s) or some cues too?

Nah, full scores only, not just a couple of cues or a theme. I think it is well over 100 but not quite 150, but would like to know how many it is exactly.

Edit: Yes, adaptations count, Fiddler on the Roof etc.

Nah, full scores only, not just a couple of cues or a theme. I think it is well over 100 but not quite 150, but would like to know how many it is exactly.

Edit: Yes, adaptations count, Fiddler on the Roof etc.

Ok then.

Count all the films in first post.

Subtract 3 (Superman IV, Yes Giorgio, Stark Fear)

Add 2 (jane eyre, Heidi) (I don't count Sergeant Ryker because it's an edit of 2 TV episodes, although it was released theatrically. Plus it has tracked music from other Kraft Suspense episodes)

So, there you have it.

The main post has 105 films listed. Star Wars 7 makes it 106. Adding Jane Eyre and Heidi makes it 108. [Meaning War of the Worlds was his 100th score]

But if you don't count Stark Fear, Yes Giorgio, or Superman IV, then we're at 105. [Meaning Indy IV was his 100th score]

And if you don't count Valley of the Dolls, Goodbye Mr Chips, Fiddler on the Roof, or Tom Sawyer we're down to 101. [Meaning Book Thief was his 100th score]

Pro Tip Lewya: Just copy the list in the main post and paste it into Excel and boom, you instantly know how many titles are in it (by looking at the number of rows you have)

The main post has 105 films listed. Star Wars 7 makes it 106. Adding Jane Eyre and Heidi makes it 108. [Meaning War of the Worlds was his 100th score]

But if you don't count Stark Fear, Yes Giorgio, or Superman IV, then we're at 105. [Meaning Indy IV was his 100th score]

And if you don't count Valley of the Dolls, Goodbye Mr Chips, Fiddler on the Roof, or Tom Sawyer we're down to 101. [Meaning Book Thief was his 100th score]

Pro Tip Lewya: Just copy the list in the main post and paste it into Excel and boom, you instantly know how many titles are in it (by looking at the number of rows you have)

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Fot US people, Criterion has just announced the Killers (coupled with the older version) (the UK release is Region B)

http://www.criterion.com/films/725-the-killers

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have the isolated score + FX track that they had on the DVD.

Finally! Best Buy, being the incompetent oafs that they are, only stocked it in a few stores. You'd think they'd take better care of one of their exclusives.

Pretty cool, actually, to think that Williams has hit 100 scores any way you look at it.

Yes, definitely!

And no matter how you count, he didn't write his 100th score until he was in his 70s!

• 3 weeks later...

This may be somewhat off-topic, but could we work on revising the "DVD & Blu-ray" listing to reflect the Williams-related featurettes/appearances which are true HD on a Blu-ray release vs. upscaled from SD to HD?

For example, the featurette from the Blu-ray of Saving Private Ryan is upscaled from SD (from the DVD release) to HD. The specs for various Blu-rays often indicate that some of the "special features" are in SD, but they don't explicitly indicate which are and which aren't.

From the standpoint of the Williams-related material only, I'd rather know ahead of time what I'm getting when I buy a Blu-ray release, especially when I'm upgrading from DVD.

Just a thought...