Williams filmography in Bluray - a list

filmmusic

11 minutes ago, Thor said:

Thanks for the tip! One of the best films in all of Williams' resume, and without any good release (not counting the shoddy Italian DVD version). It's a scandal!

There is an NTSC American DVD that I have.

I don't know if it's better than your Italian one but at least it has the original pitch.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, filmmusic said:

The label that recently released Angela's Ashes in UK, will be releasing The River on February 20th!

Another one off my list! :)

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=20529

This is a low key film that I really loved!

It's good film -- pure "Americana" like all of Rydell's films, but very focussed and tight. Gibson and Spacek make a good team. The score, of course, is absoluteley wonderful.

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Stepmom is coming from the outrageous Choice Collection line of Sony! :angry:

Well, it IS a Hallmark-type of film, but yeah -- not good. Is this the first "BluRay" of this film?

For anyone that hasn't seen Far and Away (Jay I'm looking at you ;) ), i would suggest you give it a chance.

It's become a St. Patrick's Day staple for me now (i'll watch it tomorrow again).

I love this movie, especially since it remindes me of old epics.

8 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

For anyone that hasn't seen Far and Away (Jay I'm looking at you ;) ), i would suggest you give it a chance.

It's become a St. Patrick's Day staple for me now (i'll watch it tomorrow again).

I love this movie, especially since it remindes me of old epics.

I find the film rather dreadful, myself -- from Tom Cruise's terrible Irish accent to the inane intrigue. But it does have fine cinematograpy, both the lush Irish part and the dusty US part. Mostly, though, the score is the one great thing about it; one of my favourite Williams scores.

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

So we should expect a complete recording for How to Steal a Million soon?

It's already been released. I'm assuming the groundwork that was laid with the expansion a few years ago was what made this isolated track possible?

He, he...

It's the best Williams era EVER! (well, not really, but it's what fascinates and interests me the most these days).

3 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Twilight Time is releasing How To Steal a Million including an isolated music track with John Williams' score:

https://www.twilighttimemovies.com/how-to-steal-a-million-blu-ray/

On 12/10/2016 at 11:54 AM, thx99 said:

From Twilight Time...

HOW TO STEAL A MILLION (1966) BLU-RAY - April 11th

• 2 weeks later...

Tom Sawyer just announced by TT (along with HUCKLEBERRY FINN):

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/htf-exclusive-twilight-time-july-2017-release-announcements.352224/

I assume it will have the iso score option too as almost all TT releases.

Mr Matessino just posted on FSM that the transfer made for the new isolated track of the blu-ray is not good enough for a new CD release... :(

The original album is a re-recording. In fact, it's the first feature project for Williams for which he got to do his own soundtrack album.

For the Blu-Ray music track I revisited the transfers and did what I could with the material. Everything from the score is there with the exception of one small cue and one source cue that come from the M&E, and two other cues in which I had to subtly incorporate the M&E because the main "A" stem of the music was completely gone. I think it is all now quite listenable and fine for an isolated music track, but the deterioration of some of the tape is such that it is not quite good enough to revisit on CD as fully as it is presented on the Blu-ray.

Mike M.

I don't why... he seems to forget two JW soundtrack albums prior to Steal A Million. The re-recording of Chekmate in 1960 (okay it's a TV series soundtrack)... but there was Diamond Head in 1963 (probably a re-recording too).

Yes, that's right. Mike forgot about DIAMOND HEAD (Williams' contributions are far more than variations on Hugo Winterhalter's song).

18 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yes, that's right. Mike forgot about DIAMOND HEAD (Williams' contributions are far more than variations on Hugo Winterhalter's song).

Mike Matessino should really consult my website! ;)

20 hours ago, Bespin said:

Mr Matessino just posted on FSM that the transfer made for the new isolated track of the blu-ray is not good enough for a new CD release... :(

i don't understand.

Didn't they use the film recordings from this cd?

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.5974/.f

I don't see what's so confusing.  He went back to the transfers that were made when the elements were pulled for the Intrada CD, and cleaned them up as best he could, taking some bits from the Music and Effects steam when the music simply wasn't there or had deteriorated beyond repair to include everything that's in the picture on the iso track.  But, the additional cleaning up done now isn't some sort of massive improvement that would warrant a new CD, its just "better" not "WAY better".

37 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

WOW!

One of my most wanted ones is coming on Bluray from WAC:

The Accidental Tourist

https://www.facebook.com/warnerarchive/photos/a.275238161562.177744.205910361562/10155215820021563/?type=3&theater

Nice, I love the part of this news where they speak about the music of John Williams!

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Getting to the end of that movie was torture.  Just insufferable.

The character of Geena Davis was very annoying to me, but other than that I love the movie.

It's a simple, autumn-y film, suitable for a rainy day..

Well, the Intrada CD was never complete, and the isolated score track features all the music heard in the film, so logically....

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe you talked about this earlier, filmmusic, but the titles in red are denoted as 'unreleased'. Do you mean 'unreleased on BluRay' or 'completely unreleased'. Because some of these are surely available on VHS and DVD, at the very least.

30 minutes ago, Thor said:

Maybe you talked about this earlier, filmmusic, but the titles in red are denoted as 'unreleased'. Do you mean 'unreleased on BluRay' or 'completely unreleased'. Because some of these are surely available on VHS and DVD, at the very least.

Unreleased on Bluray.

This is a filmography in bluray thread, as the thread title says. ;)

I know. I was just a bit confused about the 'unreleased' bit. Would be interesting to also make a difference between those films that have had a release (on VHS or DVD) and those that have had no release at all (in addition to the BluRay thing). So "no release", "VHS", "DVD" and "BluRay".

Also, would you consider including short films and the like?

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I know. I was just a bit confused about the 'unreleased' bit. Would be interesting to also make a difference between those films that have had a release (on VHS or DVD) and those that have had no release at all (in addition to the BluRay thing). So "no release", "VHS", "DVD" and "BluRay".

Also, would you consider including short films and the like?

The availability of the films on DVD is on the main page,

Well, i don't think  the short films will have a bluray release ever (except the Katherine Reed story).

I just wanted to keep it a theatrical films only thread,

• 1 month later...

If anyone would like to buy CONRACK, it's currently on sale for $9.95. (along with all FOX's TT blurays, in various lower prices)

It includes the isolated score + FX audio track too.

I enjoyed the film very much and it's very inspirational!

The only drawback of the Bluray for me is that it didn't have English subtitles!

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/26735/CONRACK-1974-SPECIAL-PROMOTION/

Thanks for the head's up!  

How To Steal A Million is also on sale for $25!

I ordered both!

Shame we can't pre-order Tom Sawyer at the same time