Williams filmography in Bluray - a list

filmmusic

On 4/13/2019 at 3:47 AM, filmmusic said:

EARTHQUAKE is coming in a collector's edition from Shout on May 21st!

DISC ONE: Theatrical Cut of the Film 
Special Features:
• NEW 2K scan of the interpositive of the theatrical cut (2.35:1)
• Audio Options: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, 2.1 w/Sensurround audio and 2.0
• Original Theatrical Trailer
• Original TV Spot
• Original Radio Spots 
• Vintage audio Interviews with Charlton Heston, Lorne Greene and Richard Roundtree
• Still Galleries – movie stills, posters and lobby cards, behind-the-scenes photos and matte paintings and miniatures

DISC TWO: Television Cut of the Film 
• NEW 2K scan reconstruction of the TV version, featuring over 20 mins of made-for-broadcast footage (presented in 1.33:1)
• NEW Sounds of Disaster: Ben Burtt talks about SENSURROUND
• NEW Scoring Disaster: The Music of EARTHQUAKE
• NEW Painting Disaster: The Matte Art of Albert Whitlock 
• Isolated TV scenes – Play them without watching the TV version of the film 
• Additional TV scenes (taken from best available film elements)

I just preordered this!

The OST album is a bit silly with all the sound effects, I'd enjoy a presentation of just Williams' score.  I have no clue if Universal even has anything in their vaults for it or not though.  Possibly, Universal Music might have album master elements with and without sound effects, perhaps.  I know they had 1941's dialogue on a separate element from the rest of the music.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

It's a terrible film, so I'm not sure I want to own it. But I'd be very interested to own the score featurette, especially if it contains JW interviews.

It is but it has moments. And the score is very good even if it doesn't rise to TTI level. I do think it is as good as TPA.

Unlike Jay I like the sound effects just because it was an element of experimentation, gimmicky as it is. The film is so schlocky in that early 70's way. Such a snap shot of the times.

19 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Is it terrible fun or terrible bad?

Both. The effects are often terrific. So is the music. Valerie Perine is pleasant on the eyes. Ava Gardner as Lorne Greene's daughter is such bad casting. She was 7 years younger. The writing is poor. The melodrama is thicker than syrup. Its hard to hate and it was truly a spectacle in 1974

11 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

It is but it has moments. And the score is very good even if it doesn't rise to TTI level. I do think it is as good as TPA.

Unlike Jay I like the sound effects just because it was an element of experimentation, gimmicky as it is. The film is so schlocky in that early 70's way. Such a snap shot of the times.

Oh yes, the score is fine, much better than what the film deserved. The reverse situation as POSEIDON, which was an excellent film with a lacklustre score.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2019 at 9:47 AM, filmmusic said:

EARTHQUAKE is coming in a collector's edition from Shout on May 21st!

DISC ONE: Theatrical Cut of the Film 
Special Features:
• NEW 2K scan of the interpositive of the theatrical cut (2.35:1)
• Audio Options: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, 2.1 w/Sensurround audio and 2.0
• Original Theatrical Trailer
• Original TV Spot
• Original Radio Spots 
• Vintage audio Interviews with Charlton Heston, Lorne Greene and Richard Roundtree
• Still Galleries – movie stills, posters and lobby cards, behind-the-scenes photos and matte paintings and miniatures

DISC TWO: Television Cut of the Film 
• NEW 2K scan reconstruction of the TV version, featuring over 20 mins of made-for-broadcast footage (presented in 1.33:1)
• NEW Sounds of Disaster: Ben Burtt talks about SENSURROUND
• NEW Scoring Disaster: The Music of EARTHQUAKE
• NEW Painting Disaster: The Matte Art of Albert Whitlock 
• Isolated TV scenes – Play them without watching the TV version of the film 
• Additional TV scenes (taken from best available film elements)

Hi,

Is some of you as information on the Region Coding of the Bluray?

Thank you

On 4/18/2019 at 10:59 PM, JoeinAR said:

Both. The effects are often terrific. So is the music. Valerie Perine is pleasant on the eyes. Ava Gardner as Lorne Greene's daughter is such bad casting. She was 7 years younger. The writing is poor. The melodrama is thicker than syrup. Its hard to hate and it was truly a spectacle in 1974

Nice, Joe, but think you mean Victoria Principal :lol:.

The film is bad, but it's nowhere near THE SWARM bad. Actually, it has a lot going for it: Rountree's sassy Miles; a very nice scene between Heston and Bujold (they are actually reading from a script of the scene that they are acting out!); Kennedy's world-weary cop ("You got somethin' against religion"/"The shot counted"); Principal's...er..."assets"; Walter Matthau's cameo.

The effects, although not as polished as THE TOWERING INFERNO, are, generally, of a high standard, and Albert Whitlock's matte paintings are a marvel to behold. Also pay attention to the colour pallet of the film. Where, TTI went for reds, and oranges, and a "harder" look, EARTHQUAKE is "softer", and showcases "earth" colours - greens, blues, browns - to leave us in no doubt that we are at the mercy of the elements.

All in all, it's not as bad as you might think. Try to watch it in 5.1, and turn the sub up to 11!

Ps, the TV version is superfluous.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

As with MIDWAY, most of the extra scenes from EARTHQUAKE were not deleted scenes, but filmed especially for the TV version. 

the same thing was done with the film Two Minute Warning. Totally changes the film and not in a good way. 

16 hours ago, Richard said:

As with MIDWAY, most of the extra scenes from EARTHQUAKE were not deleted scenes, but filmed especially for the TV version. 

Do you know whether they were shot on film and in scope ratio? Would be interested to know if it were possible to release an extended cut in the correct ratio (assuming the elements have survived).

26 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Do you know whether they were shot on film and in scope ratio? Would be interested to know if it were possible to release an extended cut in the correct ratio (assuming the elements have survived).

here's a review of the bluray with screenshots of the TV version as well.

that one is in 1.33:1 ratio.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Earthquake-Blu-ray/232090/

On 6/1/2019 at 7:20 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Do you mean the TV-only scenes were filmed subsequently?

I believe so.

21 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

As for MIDWAY, most of the deleted scenes are on the DVD, as extras. My guess is that, as it was going to be on TV, it was, probably, shot in 1:33.

• 2 weeks later...

2 pieces of news:

for whoever already bought Kino's Nixon and Shout's Earthquake, there are replacement programmes due to out of sync audio in the extended cut of Nixon, and wrong aspect ratio of Earthquake.

Secondly:

The Secret Ways comes in Bluray from a 4K scan of the original negative. (i hope that means that a cd release is imminent!)

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=16521083&postcount=31930

This will be the earliest Williams film available on Bluray.

I viewed that Secret Ways post but couldn't see which label was releasing it?

Hopefully an iso score will be a) possible and b) likely. Doubt JW would want this out on CD.

Since JW has nixed soundtrack releases for The Rare Breed, The Plainsman and Storia un a Donna, isolated scores may be the only (legitimate) way to get these scores out there. Presumably an iso score would not necessitate his involvement and sign off and may be "under the radar" enough to not attract his attention. That is unless he visits this board :D

17 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Since JW has nixed soundtrack releases for The Rare Breed, The Plainsman and Storia un a Donna, isolated scores may be the only (legitimate) way to get these scores out there. Presumably an iso score wold not necessitate his involvement and sign off and may be "under the radar" enough to not attract his attention. That is unless he visits this board :D

If he visited this board, he'd probably nix all expansions.

On 6/15/2019 at 6:19 PM, filmmusic said:

Secondly:

The Secret Ways comes in Bluray from a 4K scan of the original negative. (i hope that means that a cd release is imminent!)

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=16521083&postcount=31930

This will be the earliest Williams film available on Bluray.

Great news! It's actually a pretty decent film, the first film JW worked on with some ambition and quality, although the McLean premise and execution has a definite THE THIRD MAN "Lite" thing going on. I won't dare to get my hopes up regarding a score release, however. I'll believe it when I see it!

• 1 month later...

For those that are interested Shout will release a bluray of

• DRACULA (1979) (Collector’s Edition) – John Badham’s slick and sophisticated telling of the legendary story flies into our midst in a 2-disc set. Includes a new transfer of the theatrical version as seen in theaters in 1979 with full color as well as the alternate director-approved version of the film created in 1991 for home video with a muted color palette. Expected Release: Nov 2019.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Yes, this is good. Thanks for posting @filmmusic, but will it be in Surround, or full 5.1?

I see the previous bluray had a 2.0 DTS-HD MA .

I don't think this film had ever a 5.1 audio.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

There's an edition where the score plays together with the dialogue and sound effects.

Sounds great - is it available in German, too? :lol:

18 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Of course, but the score is dubbed by Mozart.

Are you sure? I thought that's the Austrian Version. The German one is by Beethoven.