Williams filmography in Bluray - a list

filmmusic

Yeah what a bummer Twilight Time didn't handle this! They almost definitely would've pursued an isolated score (especially with Williams blocking an album release of the score).

On 1/17/2021 at 6:03 AM, filmmusic said:

The upcoming Black Sunday bluray will include a bonus interview on John WIlliams' score:

https://viavision.com.au/shop/black-sunday-1977

I am contemplating getting this. I live in the U.S. I have a Sony 4k Blu-Ray Player. Will this be able to play despite the fact that this Blu-Ray release is exclusive to Australia?

11 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

I am contemplating getting this. I live in the U.S. I have a Sony 4k Blu-Ray Player. Will this be able to play despite the fact that this Blu-Ray release is exclusive to Australia?

Well, in this review it says it's Region free, so you should be OK.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Black-Sunday-Blu-ray/281486/#Review

Amazon is having a lightning deal for Prime Day, was $99.98, now just $19.99!  Pretty good deal for 8 movies 

Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Jaws / E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial / Jurassic Park / The Lost World: Jurassic Park / Duel / The Sugarland Express / 1941 / Always) [Blu-ray]

38% Claimed
Ends in 10h 05m 40s

https://www.amazon.com/Spielberg-Directors-Collection-Extra-Terrestrial-Jurassic/dp/B00LFHYX2I/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3G3001JGPQRUO&dchild=1&keywords=spielberg+blu+ray&qid=1624301441&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sprefix=spielberg+blu%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-2

On 6/14/2021 at 5:00 PM, Disco Stu said:

Kind of funny that the only movie scored by John Williams in the Criterion Collection is Valley of the Dolls.  It's actually a bit surprising that neither of his Altman movies have been put out by Criterion, they seem like the most likely candidates.

Less funny but interestingly there’s also only a single film scored by Jerry Goldsmith in the Criterion Collection — a truly great one in this case: Seconds.

Yavar

• 2 months later...

STORY OF A WOMAN (Bluray - Pre order)

Update: "Its not region free as universal only did USA rights" So this release is region A.

Release Year: 1970
Running Time: 90
UPC: 7 38329 25580 0
Optional English Subtitles: Yes
Color Type: Color
Language: English
Genres: Drama
$29.95 $17.97 (40% off)

Avail 9/28/21 - order early
Pre-orders are generally sent several days in advance of street date.
Only ships to US & Canada

https://www.kinolorber.com/product/story-of-a-woman-blu-ray

Cast

Robert Stack
Bibi Andersson
James Farentino
Annie Girardot
Frank Sundström
Birgitta Valberg

Crew

Directed by Leonardo Bercovici

From Leonardo Bercovici, the co-writer of The Bishop’s Wife, Kiss the Blood off My Hands and Portrait of Jennie, comes this passionate love story starring Ingmar Bergman regular Bibi Andersson (Duel at Diablo, Persona). While studying to be a concert pianist in Rome, a Swedish girl named Karin (Andersson) falls in love with a handsome medical student named Bruno (James Farentino, Me, Natalie, Dead & Buried). When she discovers that Bruno is married to an older woman, she heads home to Sweden and marries an American diplomat (Robert Stack, The Tarnished Angels, Airplane!). The diplomat is then assigned to Rome, where Karin becomes torn between the two men. This beautiful romantic drama features a wonderful supporting turn by Annie Girardot (Vice and Virtue, Dear Inspector), costumes by the great Edith Head (The Emperor Waltz, The Sting) and a musical score by the legendary John Williams (Jaws, Star Wars).

Blu-ray Extras Include:

Theatrical Trailer

738329255800.jpg

-

SCREAMING WOMAN
released is region A.

Release Year: 1972
Running Time: 73
UPC: 7 38329 25592 3
Optional English Subtitles: Yes
Color Type: Color
Language: English
Genres: Horror, Drama, Thriller
Select a Format
$24.95 $14.97 (40% off)
temporarily out of stock
Avail 10/5/21 - order early
Pre-orders are generally sent several days in advance of street date.
Only ships to US & Canada

Cast
Olivia de Havilland
Joseph Cotton
Walter Pidgeon
Ed Nelson
Laraine Stephens
Lonny Chapman
Charles Drake
Alexandra Hay

Crew
Directed by Jack Smight

From the mind of Ray Bradbury (Fahrenheit 451, TV’s The Martian Chronicles) comes this made-for-television chiller starring the great Olivia de Havilland (The Snake Pit, Not as a Stranger) as a wealthy former mental patient who goes home to her estate to rest and recuperate. While walking the grounds one day she hears the screams of a woman coming from underneath the ground. Her family, however, refuses to believe her story, and sees the incident as an opportunity to prove the woman’s mind has snapped so they can take control of her money. Jack Smight (Harper) directed this screamingly good thriller from a script by Merwin Gerard (TV’s The Victim) based on a Bradbury short story. Ed Nelson (Airport 1975), Laraine Stephens (Hellfighters), Joseph Cotten (Portrait of Jennie) and Walter Pidgeon (Harry in Your Pocket) lead the stellar supporting cast, with costumes by Edith Head (The Sting) and theme music by John Williams (Jaws).

Blu-ray Extras Include:

Brand New 2K Master

NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian/Screenwriter Gary Gerani

Newly Commissioned Art by Vince Evans

Optional English Subtitles

738329255923.jpg

On 9/2/2021 at 11:46 PM, Sibelius6 said:

It doesn't mention the region code?

I just get this answer from Red Code for "Story of a woman":

"Its not region free as universal only did USA rights"

So "Story of a woman" will be region A.

It will be the same for the second one.

• 1 month later...
On 16/01/2014 at 2:37 AM, filmmusic said:

Titles in GREEN are released (or announced to be released).

Titles in RED are unreleased, and no announcement has been made.

Some may not be US releases, but European ones.

The release country of films with no US release, is mentioned in parentheses.

* theatrical cut unreleased

2019 - Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

2017 - The Post

2017 - Star Wars: The Last Jedi

2016 - The BFG

2015 - Star Wars: The Force Awakens

2013 - The Book Thief

2012 - Lincoln

2011 - War Horse

2011 - The Adventures of Tintin

2008 - Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
2005 - Munich
2005 - Memoirs of a Geisha
2005 - War of the Worlds
2005 - Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

2004 - The Terminal
2004 - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
2002 - Catch Me If You Can
2002 - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
2002 - Minority Report
2002 - Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones
2001 - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
2001 - A.I. Artificial Intelligence
2000 - The Patriot 
(theatrical cut on UHD only! The regular bluray has the extended cut)
1999 - Angela's Ashes  (BD-R,  NOT pressed disc, beware)
1999 - Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
1998 - Stepmom (BD-R,  NOT pressed disc, beware)
1998 - Saving Private Ryan
1997 - Amistad
1997 - Seven Years in Tibet
1997 - The Lost World: Jurassic Park

1997 - Rosewood  (there is an HD digital version of it)
1996 - Sleepers
1995 - Nixon

1995 - Sabrina
1993 - Schindler's List
1993 - Jurassic Park
1992 - Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
1992 - Far and Away

1991 - JFK*
1991 - Hook
1990 - Home Alone
1990 - Presumed Innocent

1990 - Stanley & Iris  (with isolated score)
1989 - Always
1989 - Born on the Fourth of July
1989 - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

1988 - The Accidental Tourist 
1987 - Superman IV - The Quest for Peace (Three themes)
1987 - Empire of the Sun
1987 - The Witches of Eastwick

1986 - Spacecamp 
1984 - The River 
1984 - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
1983 - Return of the Jedi
1982 - Monsignor
1982 - E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
1982 - Yes, Giorgio (Theme)
1981 - Heartbeeps 
1981 - Raiders of the Lost Ark
1980 - The Empire Strikes Back
1979 - 1941
1979 - Dracula
1978 - Superman - The Movie (with isolated score in the expanded version)
1978 - Jaws 2
1978 - The Fury (2 releases with isolated score)
1977 - Close Encounters of the Third Kind
1977 - Star Wars
1977 - Black Sunday
1976 - Midway
1976 - The Missouri Breaks
1976 - Family Plot
1975 - The Eiger Sanction

1975 - Jaws
1974 - The Towering Inferno
1974 - Earthquake

1974 - The Sugarland Express
1974 - Conrack (includes music & effects track)
1973 - CInderella Liberty  (TT release with isolated score)
1973 - The Long Goodbye (2 releases: UK one includes music & effects track)
1973 - The Paper Chase 
1973 - The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing
1973 - Tom Sawyer (Score Adaptation) (with isolated score)
1973 - Pete 'N' Tillie (there is an HD digital version of it)

1972 - Images
1972 - The Poseidon Adventure
1972 - The Cowboys
1971 - Fiddler on the Roof (Score Adaptation)

1971 - Story of a Woman
1969 - The Reivers
1969 - Goodbye, Mr. Chips (Score Adaptation)
1969 - Daddy's Gone A-Hunting

1967 - Valley of the Dolls (Score Adaptation) (Criterion)
1967 - Fitzwilly  
1967 - A Guide for the Married Man
1966 - The Plainsman

1966 - Penelope
1966 - Not With My Wife, You Don't!
1966 - How to Steal a Million (TT release with isolated score)
1966 - The Rare Breed
1965 - John Goldfarb, Please Come Home
1965 - None But the Brave 
1964 - The Killers 
1963 - Gidget Goes to Rome (there is an HD digital version of it)
1963 - Diamond Head
1962 - Bachelor Flat
1962 - Stark Fear (party music)

1961 - The Secret Ways
1960 - Because They're Young
1960 - I Passed for White
1959 - Daddy-O

Released on Amazon:

1963 - Diamond Head (there is an HD digital version of it) Audio is DD 2 channels

1966 - The Rare Breed (German bluray includes music & effects track)

• 1 month later...

I am checking this post as I am realizing that I have been looking to watch some films scored by John Williams recently with no success.

For example I would like to watch The Eiger Sanction, and Fiddler on the Roof, which I have never watched before.

Some blu-ray listed here are now difficult to find, or available only in US.

And nearly 8 years since the first post we have now several streaming services but it's difficult to know who is offering what, while blu-ray discs seem on a slow decline.
Wouldn't it be the case to include streaming service info in this topic maybe?
We know the big titles are everywhere, however there are many less known titles who are nearly impossible to find. I was recently able to watch Heidi on youtube, awful video and sound quality but at least I could watch it (although it made me sleep heavily, but that is a different story).
Thoughts?

It's easy to find out where any movie is streaming in your country.  Just use this website:

http://www.justwatch.com/

And scroll down to the bottom and pick your country before looking up a movie.  You can actually just go directly to your country's version of the site every time easily, for example I go to

https://www.justwatch.com/us

While you'd go go

https://www.justwatch.com/uk

etc

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's easy to find out where any movie is streaming in your country.  Just use this website:

And scroll down to the bottom and pick your country before looking up a movie.  You can actually just go directly to your country's version of the site every time easily, for example I go to

While you'd go go

etc

I use that site fairly often, although I've noticed they aren't able to indicate when a movie on Youtube has been made free to watch.

Thanks Jay for the link, haven't heard of that site before now.  I've always used my Roku search and it will also search across all streaming services for what's available to watch for free or to rent/buy.  I've been able to watch a lot of JW films recently, a lot I've never seen before.  Alas, still no luck finding Monsignor or SpaceCamp on any streaming service.  Never seen Monsignor before and it's been probably 25 years or so since I've seen SpaceCamp.

Yea that site is ridiculously useful, I use it constantly to figure out what movie we're gonna watch

It's nice to check when new movies go from $20 to $6 to $3 on VOD, etc, in addition to see what's free somewhere (we pick the slow shipping option on Amazon to get digital dollar we use to rent new movies once they are $3)

37 minutes ago, Jay said:

While you'd go go

etc

WOW! Thank you!

I should mention that "subs" on that site is short for "subscription", meaning if you subscribe to the service listed, there's no additional cost to watch the movie there

I think it's a poor choice of shortening because most people see "subs" and think it means "subtitled" or something.  They should have gone with "sbcr" or something if they needed something short

• 3 months later...

Oooh, interesting. Wonder if there will be any extras? Would love to hear more about the adaptation from/recut of the TV episode "The Case Against Paul Ryker"; the whole process behind that.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

For whoever needs the movie and lives in US & Canada, The Reivers is part of Kino's sale in While supplies last category (which means it's going OOP). The sale will last till December 19th.

https://kinolorber.com/product/the-reivers-blu-ray

• 2 weeks later...

GOUiM6z.jpeg

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS

- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
- Original restored lossless mono audio, presented for the first time on Blu-ray
- Optional restored lossless 5.1 and 2.0 stereo audio options
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Brand new audio commentary by film scholar Josh Nelson
- It Could Be Tomorrow – brand new visual essay by critic Sergio Angelini, exploring the film’s adaptation and production, and its place within the pantheon of 70s terrorism thrillers
- The Directors: John Frankenheimer – an hour-long portrait of the director from 2003, including interviews with Frankenheimer, Kirk Douglas, Samuel L. Jackson, Roy Scheider, Rod Steiger and others
- Image gallery
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Peter Strain

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Barry Forshaw

IT COULD BE TOMORROW!

Throughout the 1970s, a wave of daring disaster movies gripped cinemagoers with their combination of bravura spectacle and “ripped from the headlines” plotlines. Among these, John Frankenheimer’s (The Manchurian Candidate, Ronin) Black Sunday endures to this day as among the cream of the crop.

Robert Shaw (Jaws, The Taking of Pelham One Two Three) stars as Major Kabakov, an Israeli agent attempting to avert a terrorist atrocity on US soil. The weapon: a blimp laced with explosives and piloted by Michael Lander (Bruce Dern, Silent Running), a troubled Vietnam vet driven to strike back against the nation he believes has betrayed him. The target: the Orange Bowl stadium, Miami. What follows is a nail-biting race against time culminating in a spectacular aerial climax that will determine the fate of 80,000 spectators.

Adapted from the best-selling debut novel by Thomas Harris (The Silence of the Lambs) and featuring virtuoso performances by a cast headlined by Dern, Shaw and Marthe Keller (Marathon Man), Black Sunday is a nerve-shredding, best-in-class suspense thriller from a filmmaker at the top of his game.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=357642

It's another one of those paranoid thrillers that were prevalent in the 70s. It's not bad, but it's not as good as THE PARALLAX VIEW, THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123, THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR, etc 

Truth to tell; it's probably on a par with THE ODESSA FILE.

• 5 weeks later...

For anyone in the U.S. who wants to add IMAGES to your shelf, the excellent Arrow Blu-ray (which includes a music appreciation featurette by musician/author Stephen Thrower) is currently on sale at Hamilton Book for just $6.95 (before $4 flat rate shipping), which is something like 83% off MSRP: https://www.hamiltonbook.com/robert-altmans-images-blu-ray

7770901A.JPG

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Awesome, I'm in. 

Anything else on that site worth grabbing with it? 

For this latest order, I added THE BREADWINNER, ROXANNE, SHIRAZ and THIS IS SPINAL TAP. It all averaged out to about $6 a title after shipping.

For $3, The Coen Bros. TRUE GRIT is a bargain (and comes with HONDO as a double feature). For $4, there's JUSTICE LEAGUE VS. THE FATAL FIVE if you're a DCAU fan; ZERO THEOREM if you're a Terry Gilliam fan; and 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (the older transfer, which I think is fine. EDIT: It's the newer 2018 transfer.) if you don't have it for some reason. $5 gets you EARTHQUAKE (though sadly not the Shout! Factory edition) if you're hunting for more Williams-scored 70s pictures. There are a bunch of STAR TREK releases, though mostly stuff that's since been superseded by the 4K remasters. That's just the sub-$5 stuff.

If you click "Power Search" you can scroll through "Select a Publisher" to find boutique labels. Other cheap Arrow titles include THREE BROTHERS and THE WITCHES, though I've seen neither. From Shout! Factory, they have the original MAD MAX Collector's Edition for $5, and $48 is a good price for their release of Cartoon Saloon's IRISH FOLKLORE TRILOGY (it's currently $56 at Amazon and GKIDS). Note that they catalog Scream Factory releases separately from Shout!; you'll find good prices on the Collector's Editions of MISERY and FRANKENSTEIN CREATED WOMAN -- and the 1979 Williams-scored DRACULA Collector's Edition is only $18 compared to $23 at Amazon; I'd definitely recommend that one, if you don't have it yet!

Hamilton Book also sells music and books (natch), so it's usually well worth your time to shop around -- especially with that flat-rate $4 shipping (I don't know if it goes up when the package volume hits a certain weight, but I've never paid more than that).

3 hours ago, John Takis said:

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (the older transfer, which I think is fine)

I didn't know there was as two different transfers available in bluray.  Is the newer one not considered an unequivacle upgrade? 

$5 gets you EARTHQUAKE (though sadly not the Shout! Factory edition)

What's different about each edition? 

Cartoon Saloon's IRISH FOLKLORE TRILOGY

I got it for Christmas

the 1979 Williams-scored DRACULA Collector's Edition is only $18 compared to $23 at Amazon; I'd definitely recommend that one, if you don't have it yet!

Is that the one with the right colors or the wrong colors?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I didn't know there was as two different transfers available in bluray.  Is the newer one not considered an unequivacle upgrade? 

First of all, I'm wrong -- taking another look, this IS the 2018 remastered version of 2001 that was prepared alongside the 4K release! It's supposedly more accurate to the OCN, though the noticeable differences in aspect ratio and color timing engendered a lot of debate online. (It is also apparently NOT the Christopher Nolan version that was released in theaters a while back, which most consider a good thing.) You can view comparison screencaps for yourself here. Personally, there are some shots I prefer in the older scan and others I prefer in the newer scan. I might have picked this one up had I realized it was the new scan, just so I'd have the option to compare for myself. It's dirt cheap! On the other hand, I may want to have this in 4K at some point, and I believe that comes with the exact same remastered Blu-ray disc as this edition...

1 hour ago, Jay said:

What's different about each edition? 

The Shout! Factory EARTHQUAKE has a new 2K scan of the interpositive and a boatload of special features, including the extended TV cut and a Williams featurette with Jon Burlingame. I don't own either edition, but based on reviews, the older transfer is decent but does exhibit some digital sharpening. Still, if all you want is a watchable copy of the film, the $14 price difference (the Shout! is currently $19 on Amazon) might tip the scales.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Excellent! WOLFWALKERS left me somewhat cold, despite the typically beautiful animation -- and since I was able to nab both THE SECRET OF KELLS and SONG OF THE SEA for dirt cheap, I contented myself with those. But if you're a fan of Cartoon Saloon, definitely grab THE BREADWINNER for $5 if you don't have it already!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Is that the one with the right colors or the wrong colors?

Both! The "director preferred" desaturated DRACULA from 1991 is on disc one, while the lusher original theatrical color timing is preserved on disc two. Personally, I strongly prefer the latter. I've seen a few complaints about image softness during the early reels, but it's nothing that bothered me. The Shout! release also boasts a ton of new special features (although I don't believe there are any Williams comments apart from those found on the "Revamping of Dracula" bonus doc that was also on the previous disc).

On 15/01/2023 at 12:16 AM, John Takis said:

Excellent! WOLFWALKERS left me somewhat cold, despite the typically beautiful animation -- and since I was able to nab both THE SECRET OF KELLS and SONG OF THE SEA for dirt cheap, I contented myself with those. But if you're a fan of Cartoon Saloon, definitely grab THE BREADWINNER for $5 if you don't have it already!

I absolutely LOVED Wolfwalkers

On 15/01/2023 at 12:16 AM, John Takis said:

Both! The "director preferred" desaturated DRACULA from 1991 is on disc one, while the lusher original theatrical color timing is preserved on disc two. Personally, I strongly prefer the latter. I've seen a few complaints about image softness during the early reels, but it's nothing that bothered me. The Shout! release also boasts a ton of new special features (although I don't believe there are any Williams comments apart from those found on the "Revamping of Dracula" bonus doc that was also on the previous disc).

Awesome, thanks

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Awesome, thanks

Do you have 4K capability?

It is speculated that a 4K will come in UK from Indicator.

In any case, they had announced that Dracula is coming and that an "unknown" 4K is coming too, and members in forums combined the 2 info.

Yes and no.  My TV is 4K and I can watch 4K content via Playstation 4 games or streaming video from streaming apps

But I have no device that can play 4K UHD Blu Ray discs

• 2 months later...

I'm a 3D enthusiast!  Jurassic Park 3D has indeed been released, and it is utterly fantastic.

Jurassic Park 3D Blu Ray

And don't forget Jaws got an absolutely incredible 3D conversion just this past September.  I am hoping and praying it gets a 3D Blu Ray.

1 hour ago, ciarlese said:

Anybody interested in 3D movies here?
I like to enjoy them on my 3D projector, and I was wondering if there is any missing in my collection.

And that is the key right there, to enjoying a good home 3D experience.  If more people had projectors, the format would likely still be thriving.  And it's not even a cost issue, but a space and setup issue.

Also 3D fan with projector here. Jurassic Park is very good 3D, Ep. 7 has IMO the best 3D of the sequels, Tintin is fantastic in 3D, BFG was ok 3D (rented it once), nothing special. I can't think of any other Williams-scored 3D movie. 

5 hours ago, Gurkensalat said:

Also 3D fan with projector here. Jurassic Park is very good 3D, Ep. 7 has IMO the best 3D of the sequels, Tintin is fantastic in 3D, BFG was ok 3D (rented it once), nothing special. I can't think of any other Williams-scored 3D movie. 

Phantom Menace had a 3D conversion, not sure if that released for home viewing, or if it counts

Correct. All three Prequels were converted, with II and III only seen in limited presentations at conventions.  None made it to 3D Blu.