Best Music Score Oscar Nominations 2014!

filmmusic

... but admittedly it would look weird with his other wins for original score.

Jaws

Star Wars

E.T.

Schindler's LIst

The Book Thief??

I totally agree with this.

No Hook, no Jurassic Park, no Superman, no Indiana Jones, no Harry Potter but.... Book thief?

On the other hand, the winning score should be the best (whatever that is) of the current 5!

It doesn't have to be among the best of Williams' entire filmography.

Jaws

Star Wars

E.T.

Schindler's LIst

The Book Thief??

No Hook, no Jurassic Park, no Superman, no Indiana Jones, no Harry Potter but.... Book thief?

On the other hand, the winning score should be the best (whatever that is) of the current 5!

exactly. the second part of your post made the first part irrelevant :P

The Golden Globes are like getting a gold star from your teacher no big whoop.

I noticed the most talked about composer on this board wasn't nominated either and all I can say is OH MY GOD valley style.

Sorry if somebody already said this...but the best news here is that the guy who beat JW at the Golden Globes isn't even nominated. So even though JW has a very small chance of winning it, it'll still make for a more exciting ceremony than the last few.

EDIT: Ah, I see filmmusic beat me

Also, this is an important nomination for JW. While he already beat Alfred Newman's 2nd most OScar nominations mark, with Book Thief he is now the single most nominated person in the Best Score category (before he was tied with Newman). Not that it matters...but let's be honest, for us it does

Yay for Price!

Oh, wait... That Price? Fuck off!

What if I told you they're the same Price, under different guises?

Would it break your little heart to now that the man who wrote this:

Andy%2BPrice%2BWith%2BThe%2BDanubia%2BSy

also wrote this?

5060635.jpg

By the way, noone commented the fact that the Golden Globe winner isn't even nominated!

It's not the first time that happens and it will not be the last. In 1993, Williams' Schindler's List was beaten at the Golden Globes by Kitaro's (who?) Heaven and Earth, but then the latter wasn't nominated for Best Score at the Oscars.

Also, in 1999 Ennio Morricone's The Legend of 1900 won against Newman's American Beauty, Williams' Angela's Ashes and Yared's The Talented Mr. Ripley, but then it failed to be nominated for Best Score at the Oscars, which that year was won by John Corigliano's The Red Violin, which on the opposite wasn't even nominated for the Golden Globe in a year in which the Best Original Score category was up to 9 (nine!) nominees.

So, it doesn't mean anything. The Globes history is even crazier than the Academy Awards...

Jaws

Star Wars

E.T.

Schindler's LIst

The Book Thief??

exactly. the second part of your post made the first part irrelevant :P

I'm aware that his past wins don't impact Book Thief winning this year, but given Williams' overall cultural impact and legacy, it would just stick out a little bit when you look the aggregate.

As fantastic and amazing scores in itself they are, even Williams' wins at the Oscars have much more to do with the respective film's popularity and consensus among Academy voters than anything else. Sure, as witness of the posterity we can definitely say the Academy was damn right to give each of those scores the well-deserved prize, as they're all among the greatest film music ever written. But the winning in itself is something related to the [Academy's fondness of the] film's popularity at that precise moment in time.

However, crazier things happened in Oscar history, so in this sense anyone can be the winner.

Based on the other nominated scores I actually think Williams has a pretty good shot. I don't feel that any one score has been so overly touted that it seems skewed. I'm not getting my hopes up, but I don't see a score like "The Arist" that everyone appears to be leaning toward.

It's just a shame that the movie isn't being talked about in any serious way that would give Williams an edge.

If the movie had better reviews and nominated for more Oscars then Williams would have a better chance

This is basically a repeat of the Memoirs of a Geisha scenario

I cannot believe you seriously would give Williams (who already has a cupboard full of those things) another Oscar for something like, ahem, BOOK THIEF instead of awarding Thomas Newman whose score is as inconsequential as Williams' but is in serious need of some love from this industry.

I cannot believe you seriously would give Williams (who already has a cupboard full of those things) another Oscar for something like, ahem, BOOK THIEF instead of awarding Thomas Newman whose score is as inconsequential as Williams' but is in serious need of some love from this industry.

Is it that strange to root for John Williams winning an Oscar, on a John Williams FAN board?

I just want Williams to win during the lifetime of this message board so we can all bask in the post-coital glow, have a cigarette, and then kick Williams out of bed. After that Newman can will all the damn Oscars he wants.

I repeat: i cannot believe you seriously would give Williams (who already has a cupboard full of those things) another Oscar for something like, ahem, BOOK THIEF instead of awarding Thomas Newman whose score is as inconsequential as Williams' but is in serious need of some love from this industry.

Being a composer's bitch is one thing, denying someone like Newman "his" trophy is just is too twee for words.

I repeat: i cannot believe you seriously would give Williams (who already has a cupboard full of those things) another Oscar for something like, ahem, BOOK THIEF instead of awarding Thomas Newman whose score is as inconsequential as Williams' but is in serious need of some love from this industry.

Being a composer's bitch is one thing, denying someone like Newman "his" trophy is just is too twee for words.

And I repeat: is it that strange to root for John Williams to win the Oscar on a John Williams FAN board?

We're not here to judge who deserves an Oscar and who doesn't. It's just a game!

Yeah cause Price is taking the Oscar home!

But I'm rooting for Newman this year. I think The Book Thief is a good score, but I KNOW he won't win, and Newman has a strong chance this year. Plus I find his score charming, even if inconsequential in the long run.

I am still a devotee of our one true Lord and Saviour, John Williams.

Newman's music isn't very noteworthy

I have zero of his scores in my itunes library

A fate Newman presumably shares with Beethoven, Mahler, Stravinsky, Haydn, Bach, Dvorak, Bacharach, The Beatles and dozens of others.

The right thing is for the Oscar to go to the BEST score (whichever it is from the 5) at this moment, and not to serve as a consolation prize, or as a reward for a long-term career.

(I would support this view in all the categories)