Best Music Score Oscar Nominations 2014!

filmmusic

I watched it with a coworker who didn't hate it. I don't know if I hate it or not. But to this guy, there are only three Alien movies, as he disregards the existence of Resurrection.

Bruce Broughton's song isn't necessarily bad, it's just really, really bland. It doesn't help that the movie looks extremely offensive. Arcade Fire's Her appears to be this year's The Social Network. Interpret that as you will because people either love it or hate it. I happen to be in the "hate it" camp.

Apparently the film is offensive, specifically with the portrayals of the Indians I think. Broughton's song has a beautiful melody, but the whole indie vibe of it really doesn't help it's case for those who think the film isn't worth mentioning at the Oscars.

I believe Broughton has wanted an Oscar for a long time now, its a shame he never got that chance. Here's hoping he might this year.

I don't think that's an accurate analogy. I don't see what the fuss is. It doesn't have the electronic fervor of Reznor and Ross to piss off the orchestral elitists.

Well Koray, I thought TSN was a bad score. But I don't mind Her. The minimalistic score works in film. Its definitely top 10 material, but since was that a qualification to get an Oscar? Its not a bad score, but it doesn't really deserve its nomination either.

Apparently the film is offensive, specifically with the portrayals of the Indians I think. Broughton's song has a beautiful melody, but the whole indie vibe of it really doesn't help it's case for those who think the film isn't worth mentioning at the Oscars.

I believe Broughton has wanted an Oscar for a long time now, its a shame he never got that chance. Here's hoping he might this year.

I don't think that's an accurate analogy. I don't see what the fuss is. It doesn't have the electronic fervor of Reznor and Ross to piss off the orchestral elitists.

Well Koray, I thought TSN was a bad score. But I don't mind Her. The minimalistic score works in film. Its definitely top 10 material, but since was that a qualification to get an Oscar? Its not a bad score, but it doesn't really deserve its nomination either.

Well he's head of the Academy's music branch. He can vote for himself!

My point regarding Her is that it's nothing like The Social Network aside from the fact that both happen to be written by non-film composer(s).

Yeah, being non-film composers shouldn't immediately turn people off or discredit what they've done.

However, Her is far superior to the tinkering and tinkling of The Social Network.

Yeah, being non-film composers shouldn't immediately turn people off or discredit what they've done.

Well let's not be so quick to judge here. Last time I checked, most of JWFan really enjoyed Tron Legacy.

However, Her is far superior to the tinkering and tinkling of The Social Network.

Yeah, but that doesn't say much. Not Her is terrible or anything, but its not great either.

Well let's not be so quick to judge here. Last time I checked, most of JWFan really enjoyed Tron Legacy.

Just speaking generally.

The stuff Daft Punk clearly had a hand in - not Joseph Trapanese's mind-numbing string ostinati.

Outlands is not bad, thanks to the more-complex-than-you'd-expect harmonies.

The stuff Daft Punk clearly had a hand in - not Joseph Trapanese's mind-numbing string ostinati.

Outlands is not bad, thanks to the more-complex-than-you'd-expect harmonies.

The harmonies aren't that interesting in themselves, only the modulations - although I do like the bit from 2:07-20 where it finally explodes in a quasi-moto perpetuo. Same it's so short.

Strongly disagree, but to each their own.

I'll tell you why. Her feels much more unified, even if it's maybe a bit one note. The Social Network, for me, just sounds like Reznor was wanking around with a few different keyboards' presets. No real coherence.

I'll tell you why. Her feels much more unified, even if it's maybe a bit one note. The Social Network, for me, just sounds like Reznor was wanking around with a few different keyboards' presets. No real coherence.

Both scores feel unified to me. I'm not sure about the scoring process on Her, but for The Social Network Fincher did most of the spotting. I think the score and picture are excellent and work brilliantly with each other. There, the music elevated the images. I never got that with Her. Like I said before, the score is pleasant and serviceable, but nothing remarkable.