Who Should Win the 2014 Oscar for Best Original Score?

Sharkissimo

The JWFan Litmus Test  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these nominees should win?

• The Book Thief - John Williams
    • Gravity - Steven Price
    • Her - William Butler and Owen Pallett
    • Philomena - Alexandre Desplat
    • Saving Mr. Banks - Thomas Newman
  2. 2. Which one will likely win?

• The Book Thief - John Williams
    • Gravity - Steven Price
    • Her - William Butler and Owen Pallett
    • Philomena - Alexandre Desplat
    • Saving Mr. Banks - Thomas Newman
  3. 3. Do you consider yourself a loyal JWFan?

Neither Desplat nor Newman broke new ground and that Gravity score is horrible in the film.

The only reason why GRAVITY's score is popular is become it appeals to audiences weaned on nothing but modern pop-- especially minimal and ambient subgenres. It works like gangbusters for the same peeps who thought M83's OBLIVION was the best thing since sliced bread. This helps mask the fact that it's more cloying, dumbed-down and sentimental than any Williams/Spielberg collob.

Hey I like the score for Oblivion!

Neither Desplat nor Newman broke new ground and that Gravity score is horrible in the film.

The only reason why GRAVITY's score is popular is become it appeals to audiences weaned on nothing but modern pop-- especially minimal and ambient subgenres. It works like gangbusters for the same peeps who thought M83's OBLIVION was the best thing since sliced bread. This helps mask the fact that it's more cloying, dumbed-down and sentimental than any Williams/Spielberg collob.

Hey I like the score for Oblivion!

Of course you do. ;)

I hated Oblivion yet love most of Gravity (a few cues go too far into the 'sound design' territory for regular listening).

And I love War Horse, yet most of Lincoln sends me to sleep, and The Book Thief is unremarkable to me.

You can't group listeners as straightforwardly as that.

Thing is pub, none of the nominees really showed anything special this year. Neither Desplat nor Newman broke new ground and that Gravity score is horrible in the film.

Karol

That is beside the point here. I don't even question Williams getting a nom for BOOK THIEF. As usual, i was just picking up the oh-so-expected KM bait with its usual flood of irritating utterances that in the grand scheme of things correlates all too well with a lot of questionable Academy decisions that favour the same old, same old with a loving pat on the shoulder and ignore more daring or modern works. So i don't see that as nest-fouling at all but more a reminder that it is this narrowness of opinion that often leads to 'safe' and mediocre work - why go for something new when people seemingly are most happy with stuff they have heard or seen countless times before?

• 2 weeks later...

I voted for Book Thief, Gravity, and yes, but that doesn't disguise the fact that there's very little of interest in this year's nominations. It's the first time in a while that none of my personal top 5 were nominated. The Book Thief is probably my least favorite Williams score this decade. Philomena and Saving Mr. Banks seemed pretty generic, and Gravity somehow managed to be both irritatingly sound-driven and overscored at the same time (the last scene was nothing more than a pale imitation of Horner's "Re-Entry and Splashdown"). I'll admit I haven't listened to Her or seen the film yet. Of the scores I've listened to this year, only The Book Thief even overlaps my top 10 and the Oscar nominations. I don't know if it's Academy politics, general Hollywood love of the status quo, or rule technicalities, but this year in particular, the nominating committee fell pretty far short of its duty.

• 3 weeks later...

He won't be getting Lifetime Award. Not with five Oscars behind his belt already.

Karol

Such generous and magnanimous pity is only shown to people like Morricone.

I'm sure Williams will get the Lifetime Award after he's dead.

I think you'll find he will lose to some foreign composer with an unprounouncable name or person whose merits in the art of composition include hitting pots and pans with dead rackoons for which he will be remembered as the immortal innovator.

Oh and on a happier note congratulations to Steven Price on his prize! :)

I think you'll find he will lose to some foreign composer with an unprounouncable name or person whose merits in the art of composition include hitting pots and pans with dead rackoons for which he will be remembered as the immortal innovator.

You mean, someone like Exos Xenophaltikonapilomanopolous?

I'm familiar with his work.

I'm familiar with his work.

Yes his work with dead raccoons as percussion instruments is ground breaking. Also drum breaking. And hide breaking, of both the dead raccoon's and of the drum.

Or Kalaisan Kalaichelvan.

;)

Love his On Raccoons and Goats' Bladders concert work.

I love his Raccoons in Trees concerto for raccoon hides. There's just something unbelievably surreal and mystical about the work.

There is some really innovative and mundane sounds in there for sure!

I love his Raccoons in Trees concerto for raccoon hides. There's just something unbelievably surreal and mystical about the work.

I hear he is improvising another concert work in his backyard as we speak. He calls it Heartraccoon. It is composed for a raw raccoon heart and two raccoons used as percussion instruments.

Why when "unpronouncable" is mentioned, the first thing that comes to mind is a Greek-lish word? :biglaugh:

It could have been Chinese.

Because Chinese is too obvious!

Exos Xenophaltikonapilomanopolous is a Nigerian composer, anyway.

the ending - opolous, is Greek. ;)

Actually, it's -opoulos. (I have it too in my name)

it's just that in English pronunciation it sounds like - opolous..

Yeah and he rules!

When was the last time a Chinese composer won anyway?

Tan Dun in 2000.

Oh and on a happier note congratulations to Steven Price for his prize! :)

It's disappointing that he gets an Oscar before his brother Andy. They're related, right?

Because Chinese is too obvious!

Exos Xenophaltikonapilomanopolous is a Nigerian composer, anyway.

the ending - opolous, is Greek. ;)

Actually, it's -opoulos. (I have it too in my name)

it's just that in English pronunciation it sounds like - opolous..

Can't believe I fucked that up. (And no, I don't speak English, so that's not the reason why I fucked up the ending. I just wasn't paying enough attention to what I was writing...)

I also can't believe you have a cliché name! Please tell me it's not Rastapopoulos...

Well, for a non-Greek it's anything but cliche. :)

Anyway, no my name isn't Rastapopoulos.

(I assume you know someone by that name)

edit: Oh, now i saw he's a character in Tintin! :biglaugh: