BloodBoal

Exactly. I just read the rules, and apparently you have to use those stems, any compositions not using those stems will not be considered and removed during the judging time.

Which begs the question, who exactly is this contest aimed for? I mean there's only a finite amount of competitions you can do in a 90sec interval with a set of pre-determined clips. Where does the creativity and "composing" part come into it? I guess you can modify the stems with some techniques...but I then this contest becomes something else.

Any of you read the actual page? This isn't a composing gig for RCP, it's for Extreme Music/Bleeding Fingers, who specialize in creating large sample libraries used in reality TV shows and trailers. They're using HZ as a marketing tool. Most of the old MV crew did a lot of work for Extreme Music.

So basically, Zimmer is just one of the judges, but of course they make it all about *him* because it's his name which attracts the masses. Ugh.

What's wrong with that?

So basically, Zimmer is just one of the judges, but of course they make it all about *him* because it's his name which attracts the masses. Ugh.

What's wrong with that?

I'm just tired of Zimmer's name being used as a marketing tool, and making it harder to identify who's actually writing "his" music.

I wonder if any of you have actually HEARD the submitted clips? Sure, there's a great deal of 'meh' material there (that's natural when you go out so broadly), but also some really good ones.

Which ones would that be? (name is enough)

What's wrong with that?

I'm just tired of Zimmer's name being used as a marketing tool, and making it harder to identify who's actually writing "his" music.

But in this case, it was HIM who wrote the template theme and the stems. Plus, it makes perfect sense to use his name since he's involved and since no one would care about a project saying "Bleeding Fingers Want You!". Personally, I see nothing wrong with that.

I wonder if any of you have actually HEARD the submitted clips? Sure, there's a great deal of 'meh' material there (that's natural when you go out so broadly), but also some really good ones.

Which ones would that be? (name is enough)

Yikes! Seems like a lot of additions have been made since yesterday. I have trouble finding the ones I like.

A popular one that I also like:

http://www.hanszimmerwantsyou.com/tracks/59

There was also one with a very classical, baroque feel and one very Vangelis-like. Can't find them at the moment. I'll get back to you.

I don't think the clip you posted will actually be considered for the competition. It doesn't use any of the stems and it doesn't even use the main theme.

Exactly. I just read the rules, and apparently you have to use those stems, any compositions not using those stems will not be considered and removed during the judging time.

Which begs the question, who exactly is this contest aimed for? I mean there's only a finite amount of competitions you can do in a 90sec interval with a set of pre-determined clips. Where does the creativity and "composing" part come into it? I guess you can modify the stems with some techniques...but I then this contest becomes something else.

Any of you read the actual page? This isn't a composing gig for RCP, it's for Extreme Music/Bleeding Fingers, who specialize in creating large sample libraries used in reality TV shows and trailers. They're using HZ as a marketing tool. Most of the old MV crew did a lot of work for Extreme Music.

Right, but Thor was arguing something else, so that's where my comments were directed ;)

I don't think the clip you posted will actually be considered for the competition. It doesn't use any of the stems and it doesn't even use the main theme.

Really? Isn't the latter part, in particular, a variation on the stems?

I was under the assumption that the contestants were free to use their own elements in ADDITION TO the stems provided by Zimmer?

Not really. It's even in a different key (C Maj as opposed to D Maj).

If I were to take part, I'd do the smart thing and just use the percussion stem. It's the least restraining out of all of them, since it doesn't dictate the harmony for you (which in the original is a very bland vi-IV-V-I-IV-Vsus-V rinse and repeat pop progression).

I would take the flute ostinato stem, multilayer it and cut them up to create a seemingly unpredictable meter, use the tinkering percussion stem for colour, maybe use the solo horn line, and then write an entirely different harmonic progression to it while adding some counterpoint.

Or something like that.

But can't they fool around with the key if they want to? I can clearly hear the Zimmer theme in the latter part of the cue.

I'm no musician, though, so my point may be moot.

But can't they fool around with the key if they want to? I can clearly hear the Zimmer theme in the latter part of the cue.

I can't hear it. The Zimmer theme is very identifiable with its opening leap down a major 7th. To be honest, the second half of the clip you posted (after the piano) sounds more like Howard Shore in Tolkien mode.

I can see why you'd say that, with the ostinato sounding relatively like the skip-beat and the chord changes and percussion bear some resemblance, but Shore doesn't write themes like that.

On top of that, none of the stems are actually being used.

The melody in that cue sounds awfully familiar, but can't place it at the moment.

You could do a metrical phase shift (i.e. 4/4 to 7/8) ala Goldsmith.

I was thinking of doing something along the lines of Reich's phasing technique.

• 3 months later...