Film Night at Tanglewood (August 2, 2014)

Miguel Andrade

Romão and I are planing a trip to Tanglewood this summer to attend Williams' annual Film Night. This year it will be on Saturday, August 2.

I was wondering, if any of you, more experienced in attending concerts at Tanglewood, would offer any suggestion about seating in the Shed.

Tickets go on sale on Sunday, and I plan on getting the best possible seating for us -- not really worried about the price... after all this will be a once in a lifetime thing...

Also, if anyone has other suggestions besides seating, feel free to contribute. :)

I was on the third row from the stage. Great seats. But it's such a great experience that any seat will do I guess, even on the lawn.

Yes, I'm sure that whatever place one gets this will be an experience to treasure for the rest of my life.

Nonetheless, I was thinking in getting seats in the front rows, but wanted to hear from others experience first.

And perhaps try to get seats in the middle section. It is possible that Williams will spend some time among the audience and that - for example - Keith Lockhart will conduct a piece or a portion of the program. You could end up sitting next to him. :)

I've been to Tanglewood twice, and the first time I had a seat, but the second time I sat on the lawn. The lawn was fun, people bring picnics and everything, but unfortunately the lawn slopes down slightly rather than sloping up, giving you a pretty minimal view of what's going on. So if you want to be able to see the stage well (which I'm guessing you do!) you should probably avoid the lawn.

Tanglewood is a great place to see a show... I hope you have a wonderful time!

I've been there many times. Missed it last year but I will be back this year. It's true that most any seating will be agreeable. Often what I end up doing though is wandering around the grounds, always within earshot of the music, just taking it all in. Now that is a great summer evening, let me tell you.

The worst, is that Tanglewood is at 4 hours of car from me... But I'm not really a "concert" guy... :music:

From Portugal, it's a nice trip!

Too bad there is no live retransmissions of his concerts.. or even DVD!

I could do without the trip part... for some reason I so deeply connect with "The Accidental Tourist" :P

Anyway, I love trees and music, so I couldn't imagine a better venue to attend a Williams concert :)

And yes, I love concerts -- and I always love a live performance, and in many cases, prefer a live recording to a studio one.

• 2 months later...

Best thing about the lawn is that, if you show up early enough, you can plant yourself right near the shed. It's nice to bring a couple of drinks and a snack, too.

The first time I went I took my uncle. He ended up walking in through the tent area and came out with a free beer. I don't know if it was supposed to be exclusive or not. :lol:

• 2 months later...

I am very sad to report I will not be attending the Tanglewood concert this year. I got the dates messed up.

We'll be in Pennsylvania this weekend, after attending the Star Trek concert in Philadelphia that Thursday.

• 1 month later...

The article mentions the Williams is at work in episode 7. Do we think that is literally accurate or is it just shorthand for his eventual scoring duties?

I see the Book Thief will be performed at the Tanglewood on Parade concert. I am surprised it was not part of this show but am glad it is being programed in tomorrow.

Wonderful pictures Miguel and Romão! :D

I think it has been stated somewhere else before but Miguel has a sort of Williams-esque air to him. :)

The Portugese John Williams!

Juan Guillermo!

That would have been the Spanish John Williams :)

The Portuguese one would be João Guilherme (more on this soon)

We'll post our report soon enough

And I absolutely agree that Miguel has a lot of JW in his demeanor and personality :)

Actually, I use turtlenecks most of the time during autumn and winter...

I would have hoped to have written something by now, but since arriving back home have been constantly busy. Maybe tomorrow or over the weekend, at worst, I'll write something about our visit to Tanglewood.

Please do. Brief, if necessary. I'm awfully curious, as I downprioritized Tanglewood in favour of Boston because of the cumbersome infrastructure challenges.

I don't think there is much interest in Williams' live performances in this forum, apart from Miguel, Romão, Jay, Steef and a few others...

Hello? We just posted a link to the full 'Film Night at Tanglewood' performance!

http://www.wgbh.org/programs/The-Boston-Symphony-Orchestra-in-Concert-1641/episodes/Film-Night-at-Tanglewood-with-John-Williams-51514