Williams' Most Boring Cues

Dixon Hill

I see can see that. It can be really overwhelming and exhausting. Especially after listening to it in one sitting.

To give an example, it would be if JURASSIC PARK was filled to the brim with nothing but cues like Journey to the Island, A Tree for My Bed and My Friend, the Brachiosaurus.

What are the specific reasons you don't like the score to Hook?

it's music about characters not worth caring a damn about.

What do the characters have to do with the music itself?

some humans connect to music that way.

I own a ton of scores from films I've never seen and/or really don't like. I can separate the music from the movie. It's a gift. I know, I know, a lot of weak-minded people really can't do that, but I consider it one of my special talents. It's even on my resume.

If I take a look at my Jerry Goldsmith folder, I've never seen Angie, Basic Instinct, The Blue Max, The Boys from Brazil, Chinatown, Extreme Prejudice, In Harm's Way, Innerspace, Islands in the Stream, Legend, Masada, Mulan, The Omen, One Little Indian, Patton, Players, Timeline, The Twilight Zone, or Breakheart Pass, and Rambo 2, 3, Sebastian, and The Salamander haven't been ripped yet. Out of that bunch, I know there are some crummy movies, but since I like Goldsmith, I'm willing to buy his works sound-unheard.

• 3 weeks later...

At this point? Star Wars Main Title. Can't take it anymore.

Karol

A lot of John Williams: Greatest Hits 1969-1999 is kind of like that for me. I've just played that stuff out.

The only version I still have of the SW Main Title is from RotS. It's probably the most overplayed piece of film music ever composed.

Banning Back Home.

Banning Back Home.

I find it so unboring because of its reputation!

It helps a bit if you're a Stealy Dan fan.

Steely.

I meant that. It's late.

It reminds me of Royal Scam and Aja.

Fozmo can't help it; he's a "Third World Man". No double helix in the sky tonight, for him...

Into the Catacombs (Last Crusade) isn't much less boring

I actually like that cue... it's a nice addition to "Ah, Rats" and has some interesting instrumentation you rarely hear on Williams' albums (not in this case, either) and some nice highlights (the ark theme, the moment when Elsa looks at Indy in that assesing way). I think the same about the cue when Jones senior is shot... love the suspenseful mood, and the moment when Indy dodges the circular blade. Both ofthese cues I really missed on the expanded release...